Five Year "Anniversary"

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by marqualler, Sep 30, 2019.

1. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      Hello all. Today is the five year anniversary that my tinnitus started. I remember it clearly, waking up at 3am on Sept 30 and hearing an unusual ringing in my left ear that wouldn't stop. When it didn't go away by the end of the work day, I laughed. When I went to sleep the next night and woke up and it was still there, I was concerned. By the end of the week, it was still there, and I was straight up terrified. I was in a state of shock, anxiety, and depression for three months that was essentially the worst three months of my life.

A year after my tinnitus started, my second child, my daughter Colette was born. I was still deeply affected by my tinnitus but something about that life change shifted my tinnitus into the background. I actually remember being somewhat anxious about my tinnitus while waiting for Colette to be born, and was able to shift it into the background of my life after that.

Now five years later--do I still have tinnitus? Yes. Admittedly, what triggered my tinnitus, a moderate unilateral ear infection, was what made it the most difficult to deal with initially. I believe that as my ear infection and inflammation died down, my tinnitus died down a bit (although is still there as a reminder.) I wear ear plugs to concerts but no longer am concerned about wearing them at movies like I was in that first year. I live a very fulfilling life, doing everything I want, and in a way my struggle with tinnitus taught me to savor life every day of my life, because we only get one life.

Colette is now four and my son Malcolm is six, and life is going faster than I could have anticipated. But I am proof that the initial shock and depression of tinnitus does not need to define you for a lifetime.

• Like Like x 11
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      That's really nice to hear!! I'm so happy for you!!

I hope I can get to where you are now.