Fizzing of Carbonated Drinks Acts as Masker

Discussion in 'Alternative Treatments and Research' started by MissionForTheCure, Jun 26, 2013.

1. MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi All,

I thought I would create a new thread and apologies if someone has created this already, but I have found something that quite effectively masks my high pitched hissing tinnitus.

At work, we are given bottles of Buxton sparkling water, and when I initially loosen the cap to a certain point the slow release of the gas from the carbonated drink seems to completely cover the sound of my tinnitus and may be an effective masking tool. The only other place I am able to mask is in the shower or specific trickling sounds of water. I think the key is the "gas release" sound is not fixed and produces a number of sounds around a high(ish) frequency. So far this has had the effect of allowing my brain to focus off the T (I can't hear it) and it isn't an intrusively loud sound. Couple of questions:

1) Has anyone out there tried this and had any positive results?

2) Obviously I can't tease open 40 bottles of carbonated buxton every day, so was wondering how would be an effective way of recording this sound? I have seen youtube videos of shower sounds, waterfalls etc.. and have multiple ipad apps, but somehow the sound quality is not good enough and doesn't have the effect of the real life sound of the "fizz". The T seems to jump above those sounds.

3) Does this suggest I could potentially benefit from some sort of notched therapy like Accoustic CR Neuromodulation? (although horrendously expensive)

I look forward to your replies.

Mission

Mike

• Like Like x 1
    2. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I'm pinging @Steve here as if anybody, he has the knowledge to get you a working track like that.

He returns this Friday, so we'll see if this is doable.

I don't myself see a connection between the probability of your success with ACR and being able to mask your tinnitus with a fizzing sound.

3. Karl

Karl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      MissionForTheCure -
      Ever try recording this sound and somehow looping it into an MP3 file?

If you can record a snip of the sound and then use a tone editor to copy it several times, you could create your own sound therapy. I've used something called WavePad, from NCH Software.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi guys,

Thanks for your response, the biggest challenge is getting the recording to be extremely high quality and I don't have any mic's to do this, aside an ipad recording. I might see if I can find someone with the equipment to record the sound i need, could be a nice relief to listen too during working hours on a low volume :)

5. James White
      Anime

James White Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Maybe loud music. Not sure.
      I have extremely expensive microphones :p but i don't have bottled water lol

Maybe i could find a similar kind of bottle in France, Perrier maybe ? Can you take a photo of the bottle and i can record that for you

6. Steve
      Creative

Steve Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Flu, Noise-induced, Jaw trauma
      I'm the same as James, I have the mic's to record. Will have a look around, how big is the bottle top - thin / bigger than normal. We can put the sound on here with the other masking sounds on our pop out player. If we both do a recording it will probably be slightly different so will give you some variety.

7. Job
      Worried

Job Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2009
      I can't wait to play this and the neuromodulation track in my car once they're available on the T network. My passengers will be in awe.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I have a very high pitch jet engine waiting to take off sound in both ears, one time my wife is cooking or shall I say sizzling a fish in a pan and the cracking or sizzling of the oil actually can mask my T. I hope somebody can make a track of this too, I recorded it in my iPhone for 10-12 mins. But I cant make it into a loop.

9. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Very short sample attached that you can loop on your player, I only had a short one in my sample files. I'll make a longer one the next time we fry anything.

Steve

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Hi Guys,

Apologies for taking an age to reply, been very busy in the last week (probably a good thing) and only just had a chance to catch up on here. Below is a link to the exact "bottle" that gives me relief (please ignore all reference to the actual website, this was just a pic I got from Google Images):

http://www.colemans-online.co.uk/buxton-sparkling-water-50cl-pack-of-24-12120791.html

The pan fry sound does mask my T but I need to play it too loud that it is not comfortable, so it can't be the right sound (for me anyway).

I will see if I can record and upload the specific sound I need and post it on here :)

11. Esko
      Amazed

Esko Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Rock concert. No hearing loss identified.
      Tinnitus Tamer has a “noise mode” which is kind of sparkly. Probably not like what you want, but I thought I'd mention it.

Amusing masking technique. :LOL:

• Like Like x 1
    12. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      How does this sound?

It's a mix of 4 different recordings that you can loop.

Attached Files:

• Fizz.mp3
        File size:
        827.9 KB
        Views:
      • Like Like x 3
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MissionForTheCure
      Woot

MissionForTheCure Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2009
      Thanks Steve! Will try this out through the headphones tomorrow :) If I have no luck I will try uploading the particular sound that seems to work for me.. I'm a little hesitant I will be able to record it in good enough quality, or the sound may need tweaking to get to the right pitch - my T is an exasperating, demandingly high pitched hiss, god knows how my inner ear function can produce such a "compensating" sound like this lol! I wonder if humans will ever evolve to become immune to tinnitus! :rolleyes:

14. Steve
      Creative

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's no problem, if you can get a recording it may be useful, or if I see any I'll buy some

Does this video work as a masker for you? I can boost the high frequencies in any noise, this is basically 3 white noise samples with an EQ boost sweeping up and down the frequencies to create a wind-like effect. I can do the same sort of thing with a looped sample of fizzing.
      Tinnitus masking / relief - White noise random...

• Like Like x 4
    15. Petloy
      Happy

Petloy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Hi Steve,

The pan fry and the fizz masks my T well!!! Thanks, The video also masks it...

Peter

16. Per

Per Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      I'm not in my home country right now but when it comes down to masking sounds all I can think of is my Edirol recorder that I packed for storage before I left, I'm going to use it for recording masking sounds when I return. It picks up a lot of details and you can record in lossless formats as well. I know that the national broadcasting company in my country use these for their documentary programs and I have used it to record environmental sounds before I got T. The details are amazing. Looks like its going to be used for other purposes now.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0015WNJ4G/?tag=tinntalk-21

17. DebInAustralia
      No Mood

DebInAustralia Member Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2013
      I've only just found this recording.

If yo'ure still around Steve, thanks very much.