Fleeting Tinnitus After Chiropractor? (NUCCA)

Discussion in 'Support' started by M.K., Mar 4, 2019.

1. M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      Hi guys, so something interesting happened after I had my first NUCCA alignment. I’ve had my somatosensory tinnitus increase severely 4 weeks ago in my originally affected left ear and I also started hearing some faint high pitch noise in my right ear 2 weeks ago. So I decided to start doing treatments to see if they would help. I’ve been seeing a physical therapist (no effect yet) and yesterday I also had a NUCCA alignment for the first time.

My C2 is rotated with 14 degrees...

Anyway, about 30 minutes after the adjustment, for the first time in my life I experienced fleeting tinnitus in my right, recently affected ear. It was an intense high pitch ring that lasted about 5 seconds.

Is this a good thing or a bad thing? I read somewhere that fleeting tinnitus means that the ears might be recalibrating themselves?

(Info on the description of my somatic tinnitus is in my first thread)

@Greg Sacramento what do you think?

Thank you!

• Like Like x 1
    2. Mathew Gould

Mathew Gould Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I also go to a NUCCA. I've had basically 10 adjustments. I basically lie on my left side and she pushes on my atlas lightly probably 40 times or so per an appointment. She has basically helped me with my neck and jaw issues, but not the tinnitus, however everyone is different. Likewise, I used to get fleeting tinnitus episodes probably 3 times a week, each lasting 20 seconds, but I haven't had them in a month or two, or maybe after a few appointments...

BTW I think 14 degrees rotation is a lot.

• Like Like x 2
    3. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Stay away from chiropractors. The entire thing comes from a guy that said a dead spirit taught him how to do it. It's all quackery.

4. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Single 25 mg dose of (anticholinergic) drug Promethazine
      I've gottem amazing positive results from going to upper cervical chiropractors. However, I don't do well with any chiropractic unless it's extremely gentle. That's why NUCCA is the preferred route to go if you're looking for possible relief from somatic tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      @Lane I'm very happy to hear that you had a positive experience. How long\how many treatments or weeks did it take you to feel relief from our Tinnitus?

6. Greg Sacramento

Greg Sacramento Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing + Somatic tinnitus from dental work
      Whatever adjustment procedure that you had done may have touched the occipital nerve or cranial VII, but not the vertebral artery. There's 6 cervical muscles with sensory information that could cause temporary fleeting and the large sternocleidomastoids are most probable. Any nerve movement could also cause fleeting.

7. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I originally got upper cervical chiropractic and the AtlasPROfilax for neck issues not associated with tinnitus. I can't say I've gotten much relief for my tinnitus, but I do massage the area in my neck and TMJ area where I feel much of my tinnitus is originating ing from, and am usually able to get a marginal (and temporary) amount of relief. The fact I can affect it at all gives me hope I can find more permanent solutions.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      So you think that has no relation to my current tinnitus?

@Greg Sacramento

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      I feel the same way knowing that I can get huge relief when I force my neck in certain positions but the moment I release my neck the tinnitus immediately returns. Almost like I’m releasing something every time I activate some muscles of my neck.
      Is your t unilateral? @Lane

10. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      So if you haven't gotten much relief for tinnitus, have you gotten any benefit from NUCCA?

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      M.K.
      Bookworm

M.K. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Somatosensory
      NUCCA is a bit different though. The NUCCA Chiro I saw said himself he switched from regular chiropractic to NUCCA because the “regular” chiropractic doesn’t really help in his opinion. I thought that was pretty honest of him to say. @JohnAdams

• Informative Informative x 1
    12. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Mathew Gould - I suffered a very serious head injury/whiplash as a teenager, and have struggled with chronic headaches and neck pain ever since. I did lots of diffeent kinds of chiropractic, which gave me varying degrees of success. I eventually discovered NUCCA, which was the best chiropractic of all for me. I then learned about the AtlasPROfilax technqiue, which was even even better than NUCCA. -- You may want to check this out:

Increased Somatic Tinnitus — I Can Make It Go Away by Moving My Neck
      Hi @M.K. -- AtlasPROfilax is actually quite different than NUCCA, and is generally considered to be a one-time treatment. AP practitioners prefer...
      Post by: Lane, Today at 2:01 PM in forum: Support

• Like Like x 1
    13. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      Is there a list of chiros who do this AtlasPROfilax??? My neck doesn't feel like it moves like it once did, I lost range of motion, etc... What does your neck feel like?

My tinnitus was barely somatic before, however I'm not even sure if it's somatic now.

14. Lane

Lane Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Last I heard, there's only one DC (also an ND) in the country that does this (Minneapolis). I've been to see him, and would highly recommend him. I've been meaning to call their office to see whether they've successfully treated tinnitus with the AP. As I recall, he estimates that about 90% of all people's atlas is not "positioned" correctly. -- Here's a link to his website:

Dr. Brian Elijah D.C. - Bloomington, MN

The blurb below is at the link above...

AtlasPROfilax®

AtlasPROfilax® is a unique, European technique that moves your atlas bone into its correct and natural position. The atlas bone (or C1) is the gateway from your brain to your body. Your vagus nerve, central nervous system, immune system and digestion function better when your atlas is in its natural position. Enjoy less pain, more energy, range of motion, flexibility, balance, better sleep and moods.

P.S. Dr. Elijah also did an axis (C2) adjustment on me that was unlike any other chiropractic adjustment I'd ever had. He had me rest my head/neck on his hands and fingers for about 10-15 minutes. It was slightly painful as he periodically moved his fingers very incrementally to adjust to the changes occuring in my vertebra. I couldn't believe the relief I got from that. Wanted to mention this to let you know he doesn't just work on the atlas.

15. Mathew Gould

Tinnitus Since:
      6/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Neck/Jaw misalignment
      I live in Western New York, the closest AtlasPROfilax is in Toronto... I still have 15 appointments left with my NUCCA, that has helped everything but my tinnitus (might have helped tinnitus 5%-10%)… But my neck and jaw is not bad, it's more about finding someone to help with my tinnitus.

• Like Like x 1