Flexing My Tensor Tympani Improves Hearing?

Discussion in 'Support' started by thewokepope, May 5, 2018.

1. thewokepope

thewokepope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Hi all. Apologies for the long post but more backstory is always better. If you want the important bit skip to the end.

When I was 14, (2011) I gained my tinnitus. Doc gave me a hearing test and MRI, both of which came back fine so no cause was ever found. It has never gone away. It has always been worse in my right ear, my "problem ear". But in general ear problems did not seem to directly affect my life. Until last year.

I began to notice, when using earphones, that my left ear felt "stronger" than my right. I saw a GP who told me I had a lot of wax and eventually syringed it out. Later I would find out this is no longer really recommended. Though there was a lot of wax, it did not really help my perceived hearing. And a new symptom: when flexing my tensor tympani, something I've always been able to do, I felt a squishy sound and balooning sense of pressure ONLY in my right ear.

So I saw an ENT, who did not see anything wrong but diagnosed me (incorrectly, I believe) with a possible case of ETD due to a deviated septum. I did get a hearing test and I came up fine. However, keep in mind hearing tests only test up to 8khz and my perceived hearing loss seems to be above that.

I also began to notice hyperacusis. Of course entirely possible I've had it for much longer but I only now began to notice it as anxiety from my university degree (I study music, surprise surprise) set in. My hyperacusis manifests as distorted tones with certain frequencies. Generally frequencies closet to the middle and one up from middle octaves on a piano. It can be quite debilitating in certain situations, such as when playing with electric guitars.

As my anxiety ramped up I also began feeling a constant feeling a constant sense of pressure in my right ear, and started having minor panic attacks.

Recently, due to a chronic ear infection that seems to have now cleared up but resulted in a minor eardrum perforation, I have been seeing a (different) ENT. I've told him about my tensor tympani and perceived hearing loss, but he wants a fresh hearing test, which I'm getting this week, before investigating anymore. He seemed pessimistic it could be anything but nerve damage. However, the night after seeing him (Tuesday night), I made a shocking discovery. When I flex my tensor tympani it seems to give me back at least some of the high frequency hearing in my right ear! Seriously, in one recording I can barely hear the ride cymbal in my right ear. While I'm flexing my tensor tympani it becomes audible! As soon as a I stop flexing the pressure in my ear deballoons and my hearing feels deadened. Though there's usually no squishy sound or pressure feeling, my left ear also has a minor shift to a "higher tone" while flexing the tensor tympani.

I emailed my ENT with this discovery on Wednesday but have yet to hear back.
      So my question: Does anyone have any idea what this could possibly be? I don't seem to fit Tensor Tympani Syndrome since I don't get "spasms". Yet... Is it possible my tensor tympani is hypercontracted, lessening my hearing and giving me that pressure feeling as well as hyperacusis, and when flexing the muscle it "decontracts", restoring it? Anyone who can voluntarily flex the muscle, put on one headphone at a time and tell me: Do you notice a change in tone?

Thank you for reading :)

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thewokepope

thewokepope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      Also just did a little experiment. Picked a recording noticeable for triggering my hyperacusis. When flexing the tensor tympani? No more distortion. Hmmmm.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      thewokepope

thewokepope Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unkown
      In case anyone ever comes to this post, they should hear the next (happy!) step in my story:
      Over time I noticed that I would experience less hyperacusis when I hadn't popped my ears for some time. Of course, at this point my right ear would also being feeling fairly full, and my hearing possibly somewhat dulled. So I would inevitably pop it and the hyperacusis would return.
      Obviously I can't promise anything. But after a little under a week of changing my behaviour, I am feeling massively improved. Now when I feel the pressure in my ear instead of "fiddling" with me eardrum by popping it or flexing my tensor tympani I massage my neck, sternocleidomastoid muscles and jaw. I have no idea if this actually helps but it relaxes me. Over the course of just one week, one in which I've had a cold no less, I have noticed a MASSIVE improvement in my hyperacusis, feeling of pressure, and even seem to have restored some of that high frequency hearing in the ear. I am fairly hopeful that if I continue to not pop my ears my hyperacusis should become a non issue (it already basically is) and the constant pressure will stay incognito.
      So for anyone struggling with similar symptoms to mine, I urge you: Don't fiddle with your eardrum! Try relaxing facial massages to calm down the bad thoughts and see how you go.
      Thanks

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. Rogerde2018
      Alone

Rogerde2018 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Etd
      I would recommend to ask to the “ poppig and clicking “ group on Facebook maybe they have somebody with similar case

5. Shive624

Shive624 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-Induced
      Hi @thewokepope- I also experience distortion with certain frequencies. At medium to higher volumes I experience a slight sort of metallic distortion to similar tones you described (mid-ish, sucks for electric guitar playing). It also triggers my high frequency tinnitus that I only experience with external sound present (reactive?). I was curious if that is similar to what you experience in terms of distortion? Also, how are you doing with the distortion now? Has it subsided? Any further tips? Hope you are well!

6. Gman
      No Mood

Gman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic earwax drops, worsened by MDs (Muppet Doctors)
      Yes, it is possible for it to be dysfunctional. I have suffered from a cramping style TTTS for the past year and when it happens I lose a lot of low end hearing in one ear. It’s conductive loss that returns once the muscle relaxes. The ear fullness is part of it because that muscle runs along the ETs and is involved with middle ear ventilation. It can make T go weird too, like for me a low hum/ whoosh.
      It’s a horrible thing.

7. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How do you flex your tensor tympani?

8. TLion

TLion Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress/loud concert
      Yup, same boat here. Distortion and very high frequency Tinnitus, sucks for playing electric guitar big time. How long do you have it?

9. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      that's not hyperacusis with pain, it's the tensor typani involuntarily spasming.

10. Hariz Nonis
      Loved

Hariz Nonis Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      @thewokepope