Floaters

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Erlend, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Do you have eye floaters?

1. Yes

342 vote(s)
    82.0%
  2. No

75 vote(s)
    18.0%
    1. incelitus
      Question it

incelitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      qtip gangbang/kurt cobain
      So what's the deal with this? Any proof to it working besides scam doctor's claims on YouTube? The same who supposedly cures tinnitus?

Wish the floaters and visual snow communites weren't full of retarded hypochondriac middle aged Facebook moms, it makes it so hard to even figure out what is an option or not.

• Funny Funny x 1
    2. gadsie
      Angelic

gadsie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Normal volume headphones/clubbing with earplugs
      All Facebook groups related to health are 90% retarded Facebook moms.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Connected to tinnitus, those floaters were always there but tinnitus makes brain go haywire and the processing center gets messed up. I got them after my permanent tinnitus increase from Caloric + Cvemp tests, two weeks after that I got floaters. Most floaters are on my left eye and left ear has SEVERE TINNITUS.

4. Eric N

Eric N Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012, 03/2016, 05/2017, 05/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise + 3 major increases via (shouting / MRI/ flu+Tylenol)
      That's interesting. I just got back from the optometrist today. I did a dilation test. Optometrist saw just one or two floaters in my left eye so I don't have a severe case but from what I understand floaters cast a shadow on the retina so that's what you see, it's a real thing.

The thing is once you notice them though it's hard to get your mind off it, I wouldn't have noticed it if I wasn't concentrating on my vision so much.

Do you see your floaters all the time even if you close your eyes or are in the dark area? What do your floaters look like? Mine are like little black strings or sometimes transparent worm-like things.

5. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Yes same...

All the time... even in rooms on darker surfaces...

6. Codaz

Codaz Member

In my situation it is the opposite. Left ear tinnitus, right eye the most floaters. But I have had much more tinnitus in the past in the right ear. That's where this has all started.

7. Niel S.
      Badass

Niel S. Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Jan 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I also have eye floaters, I find them even more annoying than my tinnitus.
      There is surgery available but I'm a bit scared doing that.

What works is wearing sunglasses when you are outside. Because the brighter the light source you are looking at the more you see the floaters.

8. Arseny
      Wishful

Arseny Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possibly from problems with blood flow
      Long story short I recently was at the hospital and they administered intravenous dexamethasone 16 mg for 3 days.
      On the third day vision got blurry, trouble focusing, terrible light sensitivity and a few flashes.
      Ophthalmologist checked out my eyes and said everything was normal however vision was -2.5 (before it was -0.75/-1).
      I also noticed increase in floaters. There were a few before, but with dexamethasone the number of them increased significantly. She didn't see any of them. It probably means they are very close to retina.
      First floaters appeared in December by that time I had 2 dexamethasone courses (low dose) and significant increase in tinnitus. So I don't know what caused them.

Yesterday I went to another ophthalmologist and she checked out my eyes very thoroughly including my retina and she said that everything was normal aside from constricted blood vessels. My vision returned to previous levels.

Other things I took were benzos (Phenazepam) 0.5 mg few times before audiograms and after recent alcohol consumption on birthday party they became more intrusive/noticeable/increased numbers?
      I heard benzo withdrawal can cause floaters? What about single doses?

Does anybody knows if Prednisone is safer for eyes? I have a spike in tinnitus and allergies and might have to take steroids again, but ophthalmologist says that it's not from steroids and they even prescribe dexamethasone eye drops so it seems to be safe, but apparently it's not.

9. lucy_snow

lucy_snow Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      hearing loss/ibuprofen
      I also have a question, is it possible to get eye floaters from prednisone?

10. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      It's rather unlikely, even at high doses. It will however

1. Temporarily weaken your immune system

2. Destroy your bones if used long term

3. Destroy your muscles if used long term

4. Cause anxiety and panic attacks

5. Cause depression episodes as it weans from your bloodstream.

Because of this, I wouldn't recommend taking prednisone unless it results in potential long term benefits/recovery.

• Informative Informative x 1
    11. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Prednisone will not cause floaters (that I know of). It however can't be used for localized injections, which is why dexamethasone is used instead in such cases.

• Informative Informative x 2
    12. incelitus
      Question it

incelitus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      qtip gangbang/kurt cobain
    13. Sevv

Sevv Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud concert
      I have mild visual snow, but don't have floaters. Remember though seeing some in my teens under the right circumstances. Guess I'm lucky. :>

14. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

TheDanishGirl Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2017 (H since 06/2017)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      long term noise exposure (headphones), maybe some stress.
      Yes, you are lucky. Floaters are awful :(

15. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's old news now. Real life people on the experiment are already starting to report results, and it is not looking good (punny).

16. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      Unfortunately with the onset of my tinnitus, Pregabalin also is known to cause visual snow, floaters and other disturbances. I'm sensitive to light, I see trails (like after HPPD from psychedelics although in this case... it's worse than the few months after LSD when I was a few years younger) and a host of other "fun" stuff. Mostly it doesn't bother me, but at night or sometimes when I get anxious it just causes more anxiety. I wonder if it'll stop one day, maybe? I'm thinking either an eye operation and/or stem cell treatments might help it, but not cure it. I was waiting for Lasik either way, so I'll find out in a year or two.

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. HeavyMantra
      Bugridden

HeavyMantra Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Steadily worsening since 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      What's your take on tinnitus as a form of HPPD? Since psychedelics can cause visual snow and VS seems linked to tinnitus, it's not that far-fetched.

I "re-noticed" my tinnitus/got my spike during a high dose experience. It's hard to shake the feeling that psychedelics somehow caused it. It's frustrating to only have a few anecdotal reports to go on when it comes to this

I've had floaters my whole life, VS for maybe 3 years before I got tinnitus. This didn't bother me before tinnitus, now it's a bit much.

18. AVIYT
      Wishful

AVIYT Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Pregabalin
      I've had HPPD from LSD for a few years, but as time went on it gradually went away. A big form of acceptance came from doing MDMA the next summer after my 400ug dose gave me HPPD. I took another 400ug+ dose 6-7 months later. However this was nothing in comparison to now.

After Pregabalin I feel like I'm on a permanent LSD microdose that went too far... it's not just the visual snow and tinnitus, it's dp/dr, anxiety, paranoia, etc. Some days it's better, other days it's horrible. I never have felt like this in my life before.

Did psychedelics contribute to this state? Possibly. But it's also possible that they didn't. Considering many people who took Pregabalin and feel similar to me, or worse in some rare cases, had no prior experience to psychedelics is concerning but also a comforting fact for me.

Some people get tinnitus from psychedelics, some get visual snow from it. At the end of the day.. these are chemicals that change something in the brain. I believe they do more chemical changes than we currently know, but we'll know one day in the future with certainty with better technology and medicine.

• Informative Informative x 2
    19. Codeflowd
      Doubtful

Codeflowd Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dont know
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      It's pretty funny, because they say Visual Snow Syndrome can also cause tinnitus.

I have been suffering from this also for years... and it's become worse... when I look up at the sky I can see star looking glitter, worms (floaters), and all kinds of crap. I have been seeing them for at least 10 years now.

visual-snow.png

More information: https://www.verywellhealth.com/visual-snow-syndrome-1719607

20. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      I have a question for people who have eye floaters: is there any case where tests have revealed a damage to the optic nerve or an interaction of the optic nerve with other nerves running close?

21. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know. I personally have never had a test like that. Just an eye examination.

22. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Ok, thanks. I was wondering if an MRI is needed to detect damage to the optic nerve, or it can just be detected with some other test at the ophtalmologist.

23. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I got hundreds of floaters suddenly at age ~27 in both eyes (20 years ago) they bothered me A LOT for a number of years. Now days I only really notice them when I'm at the beach... that's not a nice place to be when you have floaters, I guess living in the snow would be worse. I tend to avoid white walls also but generally eventually you become ok with them. I only recently got tinnitus and I guess that's go the same way.. eventually. Also it's important to remember that floaters do fade with time, they don't go away... but the black ones will eventually go more transparent... It takes years though. The important thing is to have no more episodes where floaters are released... I've had that a couple of times. IMHO floaters are 100% bad diet and sleep induced so treat yourself well.

24. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not me.

And it's simply not true that floaters fade with time. Maybe for some people but for many it remains the same and for some it gets progressively worse. I'm in the latter group it seems.

25. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      They only get worse with time if you get new ones. The old ones change from dark to more transparent with the years. Yeah you can still see them... but they become a blur rather than bugs running around your house. Remember my floaters are 20 years old.

26. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      That's YOUR experience. It is not the same experience for every floaters sufferer. I have had mine nearly 10 years and they certainly haven't gotten any less transparent/blurry with time. The highlighted sentence makes no sense btw.

27. foam

foam Member

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Ok well I don't know how you've managed to preserve them so well, everything breaks down with time.

28. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      No, of course it doesn't.

29. El BUZZ
      Buzzed

El BUZZ Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      My floaters have become more prominent these last days. Super annoying. Do they tend to fade with time?

I've read somewhere they do but I wanted some personal input on this.

Mine look like those in this picture. Got a couple of them f**kers.

miodesopsias.jpeg

30. TheDanishGirl
      Sad

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Those look much like mine. It's awful.

As far as fading, mine haven't done that. They have only gotten worse over the years (have had them 5+ years). But some people report that their floaters have faded after some time or they have changed position in their vision field, so they are not as noticeable.

So they could stay the same, they could fade or change position or they could get worse......nothing is for certain, only time will tell.