Flonase and Afrin Caused Ringing in My Ear — What Can I Do Now?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jamia, Jun 1, 2021.

1. Jamia

Jamia Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/23/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Tumor? Ototoxic Meds? ETD? Intracranial Pressure
      Hey,

I’ve been lurking here for a while now but have not wanted to commit to posting. I originally experienced “head tinnitus” towards the end of March that was a life altering experience. During the time I was trying to heal the head tinnitus (which has subsided due to chiro and neck issues) I tried so many things thinking it was my ears that I actually gave myself tinnitus in the ears. Before I realized the chiro was the solution, I was trying anything and everything possible which I think led me to getting Patulous Eustachian Tube (PET) or ETD. Now with the head tinnitus gone, my right ear was left with a buzz that turned into a low hiss one night when my jaw cracked.

That has been present for the last few weeks but seemed to have been subsiding until one night I decided to take some Flonase and Afrin pointed towards my Eustachian tubes because I had found some relief with them in the past.

Yesterday I woke up with a low hiss in my left ear that seems to just be getting louder. What do I do? My right ear that is ringing is back to being having ETD issues despite not having had any for a few weeks. I read online that Decongestants can cause PET but how do I reverse the new tinnitus sound? I’m in a space of absolute guilt, terror, and despair that I did this to myself. I was just trying to get better.

Can someone please offer some advice? PLEASE, I don’t know what to do.

Also, I only sprayed the right ear (ear that was already affected) and woke up with the left ear having a new tinnitus sound? Could it be due to the fluid moving? I’m lost please.

Should I try a nasal saline spray? Just wait it out? I’m so scared. The sound in my left ear used to be so low that I could only really hear it when I plugged my ears and it was beginning to fade. Now it hasn’t stopped since the Flonase.

I feel broken. I don’t want to give up and begin prescription drug usage but I can’t do this either.

2. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I took Flonase a week and half ago, for 4 maybe 5 days before I started noticing my head tinnitus ramp up big time. It has not gone down. I just took it normally and didn't spray it towards my Eustachian tubes, so that probably had nothing to do with it.

Learned my lesson, I need to look up every single med or supplement before I take it.

Maybe give it a few weeks. See if it doesn't get any better.

3. Wrfortiscue
      Cowabunga

Wrfortiscue Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Trauma
      Damn man. I see you’re affected by everything lol. Why are tinnitus sufferers so fragile? My kid laughs next to me and I’m done for lol.

4. kingsfan
      Haunting

kingsfan Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      9-17-2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      turning everything up to 11
      I know. Flonase used to be my go-to allergy med. Always helped me a lot. It's hard to remember but I might have been taking Flonase and/or Azelastine right before my tinnitus kicked up. My doctor had me taking a lot of different nasal sprays throughout last year trying to figure out something to help all the constant headaches I was getting.

• Like Like x 1