Fluid Behind the Ear or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gc81, Jul 12, 2017.

1. Gc81

Gc81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible fluid behind ear or noise damage
      Hi, I've recently been diagnosed with tinnitus. It's been constant for just under 4 weeks mainly in my right ear. The sounds vary from ringing, kettle whistling, grasshoppers, electrical static noise and kind of like trying to tune in an old radio and being stuck in between stations. The volume usually sits around 4- 5 out of 10 but I've had a couple of days where it's been as low as 1- 2 out of 10 and other times it's been as high as 8 out of 10.
      The Dr. thought she could see a difference between my right and left ear drum and that I could possibly have fluid behind the right one and has prescribed me nasal steroids. I've been taking them for 21 days but still no change. I'm waiting on an appointment at ENT clinic then to go for CT scan.

Can anyone tell me.....if they had fluid behind the ear....how long did it take to clear up and also...if the ENT clinic and CT scan don't show anything up is it likely to be noise enduced? I work as a Train Driver. The cab can be pretty noisy but I'm not sure how loud in Db terms. I've read that up to 85 Db's is safe. Is there any other Train Drivers here or similar professions that have noise enduced tinnitus?

Thanks in advance

2. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Hi. How long have you been a train driver? Were you exposed to any other loud noise lately? Are you permitted to wear earplugs or earmuffs while driving the train?

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Since there is less readership in the Introduction area, there may not be a response here. So you can either post this question again in the main Tinnitus Support forum or do a search for 'fluid in ears' and you should see many prior discussions on this.

If you have some mid to low days, count that as a positive and try to keep a calm and positive stance as negative emotions are bad for T. For some reason stress and anxiety are known factors to aggravate T. So do what you can to keep positive and calm especially you have some mid to low days. Spikes are quite common when T is new especially if you have fluid or infection in the ears. Take care. God bless.

• Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gc81

Gc81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. I've been a Train Driver for 8 years. No we aren't permitted to wear ear protection which I assume is down to having to listen out for certain safety related alarms in the cab and being able to hear adequately for any necessary communications.
      I've had short bursts of tinnitus come on that last a few seconds and go away for a few years now but this is something completely different. I'd been at work, came home had a shower then when I came out that's when I noticed the noise in the ear which hasn't stopped since.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gc81

Gc81 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      16/06/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi. Thanks for the advice. Yeah out the lst 4 weeks I've had 4 really good days where the volume of the T has went right down and I've been able to enjoy life again. Wish I had more days like this. It doesn't make any spence to me as to how it can go and come back the next day, saying that these days are bliss so I hope they continue. Thanks again for the advice. I'll try and repost in a different section.

6. KMM154

KMM154 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Made more pronounced by Otitis Media and 3 grommet surgerie
      Hi - yes, almost an expert of fluid in middle ear- usually in middle ear sounds like a problem I have suffered from over past 10 years. Otitis media - fluid in middle ear. Apparently my Eustatian tubes are small and do not drain well and become blocked. I have had 3 grommets fitted over the years - this is inserted in ear drum into a minute hole, under G.A. and takes about 15 mins - no discomfort caused. In many cases - once the grommet drops out - the hole may not heal over and ear can drain. Sadly not the case for me.
      In the case of children, as they grow problem dusappears. Seems I need to grow a bit :) In my case the drops never work - I suffer badly with congestion - all these things are interelated.

I've been lucky with my ENT, she is very good and very nice. Good luck and keep us informed of outcomes.