Flying in 36 Hours and I'm Sick

Discussion in 'Support' started by shan, Aug 6, 2018.

1. shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Hi all,

As per above, I am seeking some assurance. I have bilateral tinnitus and hyperacusis. I was also diagnosed with ETD, Rhinitis with post nasal drip at the onset of tinnitus. I have flown several times since tinnitus without issues to the ear. However, I became afraid to fly 3 years ago when the ears became slightly worst - louder tinnitus, on/pressure & blockage in ears.

I decided that this is no way to live because of tinnitus so I have a approx 5 hours flight in 36 hours time and a return flight in a weeks time. I saw a GP because my left ear feels blocked for weeks and he prescribed me Decondine (Decongestant+Anti-histamine), Prednisolone, and nasal spray to be started 48 hours prior flight. He said my ear drums look healthy and my ETD should be due to irritation from the post-nasal drip. He said that I should most likely present with ear pain and muffled hearing if there is fluid in my ear

I caught a cold/flu last week. I saw a different GP due to proximity. She gave me a similar decongestant and Emanzen. Then, she gave me antibiotics when she heard I am flying in a weeks time and told me to take it if I do not feel better by the next day.

I did not take the steroids because I thought that's a bit too extreme then and I read mixed reviews about it in this forum. I did not take the antibiotics because antibiotics will not help a viral infection and the doctor said she wouldn't have given me the antibiotics if I were not flying. Plus, I am very cautious about antibiotics because of tinnitus.

I have been taking Decondine since yesterday and the side effects are horrible. I switched to Telfast D today with better tolerance. As of now, I am having on-off fever, headache, slight blocked nose and the ears take turns to clog up.

My plan is to continue with Telfast D and Emanzen tomorrow. On flight day, same ammunition plus nasal spray prior ascent and descent, earplanes, and lots of swallowing. I will take the steroids if my ears don't survive the flight. I might start the antibiotics if the fever persists tomorrow. No, I can't cancel the flight.

Sorry for the lengthy post. I think the anxiety will kill me before the ears get to me. My greatest fear is causing the volume of tinnitus to go up permanently. I cannot imagine going back to that black hole again.

Would appreciate if someone can share if he/she has gone through a similar experience or any other inputs.

TL;DR. Flying with tinnitus, ETD, post nasal drip and sick. Wish me luck.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Facing the tinnitus and living our lives is what we need to do. it's very difficult, but it can be done.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. robHing

robHing Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Be brave and also be prepared by wearing ear muffs + ear plugs.

4. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      In my past I was an air crew member who flew with colds. First of all, the tinnitus will get louder from the inability of your ears to equalize pressure due to ETD and/or plugged ears due to a cold. This is normal and should go away when pressure eventually equalizes.

Your flight day plan is perfect. They generally pressurize to 8,000 feet so do all those things on the way up and as they start the descent. Do them during both.

If you’re able, sit in the front of the plane (quieter, relatively speaking). While ear plugs may be helpful during the cruise altitude of flight, I would recommend not wearing them during ascent and descent. If you have ETD, you’re going to have enough problems making the pressure equalize during this time. Having ear plugs in during ascent and descent will make this process more difficult.

Finally, anxiety may exacerbate your tinnitus somewhat so I might recommend you try to minimize that before flight with your method of choice (meditation, meds, Jack Daniels,....you get the idea).

Take care and have a great flight.

Bobby

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. Alex99

Alex99 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You should be on the antibiotics. A week later and you still have fever?! That does not sound viral.

Anyways...

I fly alot.

Decongestant up to 48hrs before flight.
      Vicks vapor rub on chest, around ears and near nasal passages.
      Gum or halls to suck on and use for ascent / descent (especially)
      Earplanes. They work! But hurt like hell. Thankfully they are only needed for up to 45 mins. Remember to use before they shut door of plane!

Earplugs for after if you are stuck by noisy engine or loud screaming babies or methheads (happened to me, could happen to you)

Anti bacterial wipes. Do NOT touch the tray without cleaning it or you may have more to deal with after flight! It is riddled with disgusting bacteria and you eat off it. Gross..

Get super hydrated now and stay that way during..no alcohol, sodas,only water, or juice.

Good luck! (Stop living in fear and take your meds!)

Edit. Wow looks like I should of read your entire post! Sorry bout that. Anyways good stuff! 48 hrs on decongestant, earpanes..oh and I have all you have minus rhinitis? T + H+ ETD. Only once I failed to use this method and only once did I suffer for a few days with ear pain(till they popped) and spiked t ..but thats it! It always works and therefore I feel totally confident flying (other than the plane possibly crashing) lol but don't worry about that, everyone has that fear. Won't happen!

(In fact preparing for a 22 hr flight in a couple months!) Ouch.

Life is to be lived! Enjoy your flight. Let the anxiety melt away..i would take antibiotics now as they take 48 hrs to worl some docs say
      Some say 24..other than that, you are golden!

Post some pics upon return :)

• Like Like x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Thank you all for the response and advise. I really appreciate it.

Have started the antibiotics today because the lymph node in front of my ear is swollen. As illogical as it sounds, I hope the antibiotics will not add insult to the already vulnerable ears.

Will update again. Hopefully and prayerfully, my outcome can give courage for T warriors who might need to fly whilst sick.

7. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I fly very frequently and wear earplugs the entire time, it's never been an issue for me. One ENT told me wearing earplugs seems to help some people with ETD. :dunno:

@shan
      In addition to the decongestants (pseudoephedrine), you may try a nasal decongestant like Afrin (Oxymetazoline) right before the flight .

I've also heard mucinex (Guaifenesin) can help prevent your ears from getting clogged by loosening up all the drainage, but if you take that be sure to drink a lot of water.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      shan
      Lurking

shan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      God knows
      Thanks Alue! I have a nasal spray that i will use b4 ascent n descent. I have had no previous issue too. Just that this time i m still running a fever w a swollen lypmh node n clog R ear. Jus started a 5 day antibiotics course so m feeling anxious. Wish me luck!

9. BobbyH

BobbyH Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustical trauma
      You’re exactly right. You as a frequent flyer and me as an air crew member most likely use filtered earplugs while flying. I was thinking that the average non-frequent flyer may use the solid ones that don’t allow the pressure difference to slowly equalize. There is a difference in earplug types and I failed to note the difference in my post. Thanks for clarifying.

I’ll insert this link explaining the difference for those curious: https://traveltips.usatoday.com/ear-plugs-flying-100141.html

They are actually called Earplanes.

10. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I actually use foam earplugs. Never had a problem. I was unsure about it at first, but it doesn't seem to have much effect. Never felt any ear pain while flying. Talked with a pilot that does the same.

The foam earplugs are dense, but not airtight. You equalize through your Eustachian tubes not your ear drums, so the only difference would be the small amount of air that is between your earplug and your ear drum. If anything, I would think the pressure difference (if there is one that doesn't equalize) would push the earplug out a little or pull it in a little.

I can only speak for myself, but it's never been a problem. I would recommend pulling the earplugs out very slowly while twisting when you do take them out. Opening your jaw to open your Eustachian tube while taking them out is a good idea too.

• Like Like x 1
    11. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Can flying impact Tinnitus? Should we wear earplugs while the airplane is taking off? but about when it is landing?

12. TomPearson
      Transparent

TomPearson Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Flying with a cold is not advised, not even for people without tinnitus, however I've had to do it before.

What I do is take a nasal spray once in each nostril before take off and then one in each nostril as soon as we start our descent, you can ask the cabin crew to let you know just before the flight is about to descend.

Another recommendation I can make is a pair of earplanes air plugs (£5 or so on Amazon) - they really help with the pain from the pressure.