Focusing at Work

Discussion in 'Support' started by Justin69, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Justin69

Justin69 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Hello all,

I consider myself a generally positive person. I am 100% confident that within a few months I won't be bothered by my tinnitus enough to have it affect my life significantly. However, today I'm sitting here trying to focus on my job and having trouble getting past the tinnitus and muffled hearing symptoms I've been feeling recently. It seems like almost every day I end up being somewhere that is mildly loud (walking on a city street, coffee shop, office lobby, on a bus, walking a barking dog), and it spikes my tinnitus and makes my hearing feel muffled. I have been avoiding more and more of these places with some success (or wearing earplugs there), but I hate limiting myself.

Anyway, I would really love if you wonderful people sent me some positive vibes. Today my hearing feels muffled since lunch when I sat on a patio with my coworker. It was lovely out today and there were many chirpy birds squawking at us for an hour. They got on my nerves a few times but I attributed it to my hyperacusis, which often reacts to birds. I have nothing to worry about right? Even if it is a spike, it will pass soon.

I'm looking forward to having tinnitus under control so I devote all of my focus to my career and social relationships. But it seems like every day I experience a minor to moderate spike that holds back my progress. Should I aggressively wear earplugs most of the time until things get under control?

Best of luck to you all. Like I said, I am very positive normally. Just confirm to me that I should be now as well.

P.S. anyone on here a software developer?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    2. GSC
      Wishful

GSC Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma.
      People say wear ear plugs for only loud noises, too loud noises, but I have read many accounts on here where people have DONE just that and their T/H got worse with setback after setback. What it comes down to, is that each person's T/H/AND EARS are different. What might affect your ears, might not affect others and vice versa. So, what I would suggest here is monitoring your T and keeping tabs on what noises/dbs that tend to give you spikes. What your ears and you find bothersome, I would say you could try protecting them from noises until they build up resilience. But, with H, it is a very fine balancing act.

Avoidance of loud, uncomfortable noises to your ears is the sole saving grace.

I hope you are well! I hope your spikes subside! You should try some nac and mag. Many people spikes settle with the addition of those two. :beeranimation: