How to Manage Video Calls at Work with Tinnitus and Hyperacusis?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ant_BXL, Mar 5, 2024.

1. Ant_BXL

Ant_BXL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club visit/loud music
      Hello,

Quick question - I've got tinnitus and hyperacusis and I'm stuck with 30-minute video/conference calls every day. I'm wondering if it's going to make things worse. Any advice or hacks to deal with this?

Thanks!
      Ant

2. AbbaZaba

AbbaZaba Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      You should be able to control the volume in those meetings. Turn it down.

• Funny Funny x 2
    3. Jupiterman

Jupiterman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden loud noise
      Has it been making things worse?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ant_BXL

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club visit/loud music
      I am not sure. I have read so many things about it that I don’t want to try it.

5. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      If you're anything like me, the harsh speaker sound can cause problems.

Mine still isn't great, but I feel I have managed to reduce the effect with the following three things:

1. Buy a decent speaker rather than deal with the laptop sound. I have a Marshall Stanmore 2 (not perfect, but better).

2. I use free software FX Sound as an equalizer and turn off all frequencies above 1 kHz (if you have Windows 11 or higher, you can do this using the built-in equalizer).

3. Wear Calmer earplugs to soften down the higher frequencies on a call.

As I said, the above isn't a solution, but it does reduce the effect of raw, tinny laptop speaker noise raw in to the ear.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    6. IYIiKe

IYIiKe Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Possible Ototoxic Reaction to Sertraline and Hydroxyzine
      Also, if it is this severe, you may want to consider going the route of asking for a "reasonable accommodation," for your disability from HR. They might be able to save you from needless meetings, and document that you have the condition.

7. AnthonyMcDonald
      Confused

AnthonyMcDonald Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Windows Automatic Closed Captions & most video meeting programs (Google Meet, Zoom, etc.) offer automatic CC. It's not 100% accurate but it's good enough for me. They work with sound turned off.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ant_BXL

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Club visit/loud music
      Thanks. That's useful, at least on my personal computer, but not something that can be easily done in a "work setting."

9. DeanD

DeanD Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Mild since 1982 - then Severe Oct 2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Microsuction (Oct 2022)
      Depends.

The Calmer earplugs are easy to wear in a work setting as they do not reduce decibels or volume, only higher frequencies. They aren't really noticeable and doesn't affect speaking or listening. FX Sound has been installed on my work laptop because of this, and again aids with reducing higher harsher frequencies.

The only one not really suitable if you are working from within an office is a more advanced speaker, that's a difficult one to get around, unless you attached a better portable small speaker to your laptop through the audio plug. If you're going to have a loudspeaker anyway, it doesn't matter if the sound is coming from the laptop speaker or a small personal better speaker - but this depends how much you want to draw attention to what you're going through in the workplace.

• Like Like x 1