For Those Who Have Habituated... How Do You Control It?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Jun 30, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So I may have gotten to another level of habituation but unfortunately it has so far caused me distressed. I thought it was getting better and then I look for it REALLY hard and there it is and even in some cases even louder.

I think it is just that many times I just don't hear it. The hard part for me with this is that when I do my mind is tricked and I think it's back or much louder then I can't NOT hear it.

I know true habituation is when you can decide when to hear it and when to tune it out. Has anyone had trouble with this when they got to that point?

I am such an idiot I spent 20 minutes in my car thinking "wow I don't hear it" then BAM there it was and now it won't go away :(

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. hartje5
      Wishful

hartje5 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4 december 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Verapamil, Flecainide, Apixaban, stress
      How I envy you! You will get there, you're showing signs of habituation! Don't be so hard on yourself. Everyone that has habituated says its a 'natural' proces. You can't force it. It just happens. Your driving, you living, good for you! You're doing the right things, just be patient.

• Like Like x 2
    3. Mike L

Mike L Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      Sounds like you are on the right track.

Did you get your wisdom tooth out yet?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
    5. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Thank you guys. I did get the tooth out and no issues thank god!!

6. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      It takes time and it can definitely be a roller coaster of emotions.

It's best to keep yourself busy: work, exercise, socialize, do something creative, read books, play video games, etc - anything that engages you cognitively and distracts you from thinking about your tinnitus is beneficial to your recovery and habituation. The more persistent you are at engaging in activities that require your full attention, the more natural ignoring your tinnitus becomes.

The worst thing you can do is sit around and analyze your tinnitus constantly. I've made this mistake myself and found I was doing much better when I was staying busy.

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. Karl K

Karl K Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/1990
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've come to terms with my high pitch T and my mind no longer reacts in fight or flight mode. I have a hum or droning as well that I'm trying to habituate to but at the moment I'm finding that a lot harder to do. I've recently returned to work and as its an outdoor job I'm finding it a help in masking the T noises and once I come home I stick the TV on, start cooking, listen to music, talk and basically learn to manage the condition. I was absent from work for 5 months due to anxiety mostly related to my T and after much consideration I decided to return just to try something different to break the vicious circle of trying to ignore the sounds but at the same time relax at home. I'm glad I returned to work, its helped me focus on other things apart from the noises and I think that's a big part of habituating to T. Its tough but at the moment I can finally see light at the end of the tunnel (for now) and hopefully the T won't get any worse.

• Like Like x 2
    8. Path Maker

Path Maker Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic
      One thing I've learned that's true for many things is the saying: What you resist, persists.

This helps a lot with thoughts/situations that produce anxiety. Because often we then place a sort of "double anxiety" on ourselves - a situation arises (in this case, you hear the tinnitus again) that makes us anxious, and then we become "doubly" anxious with thoughts like, "I'm not handling this well/how will I ever handle this/etc. etc."

It's not a smooth journey to learn how to handle this, but it is SO handleable. When you get anxious (about hearing the tinnitus, or anything else that causes anxiety), try to GENTLY focus on dismantling that "double" anxiety. Meaning, try not to "fight" the thing that's making you anxious. (I think this kind of fits in with the Back to Silence method).

Just sort of find a way to say to yourself, "Well, there it is." And then you have accepted it being there, instead of MAGNIFYING it by getting into a whole internal fight with yourself about it (I don't WANT it! WHY is it THERE? I am AFRAID/SAD/one catastrophic thought after another <<-- see what happened here? WHAT YOU RESIST, PERSISTS).

SO just say, "Well, there it is." Period. Don't resist it. Because accepting it makes you THEN ABLE to move on to the next BETTER thoughts. Thoughts like, "Hey! I've been doing so well with this. Hey! I have a new and growing HISTORY of moments and hours and days when I've been doing so well with this. Hey! I had these good times before, and after this little blip, I have them to look forward to again."

See? Gently accepting and moving on is like a shock absorber method of coping and getting past the moment, and back into the better times.

I wish you the best in continuing on well!!! :)

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    9. zeroday
      Mellow

zeroday Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/1995
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Driving Truck
      In my case of habituation the ringing never stops and is unmaskable...but my mind has embraced my T... We all know the sun rises in the morning and sets at night...we don't think about it and the fact the earth is moving...

My mind has embraced my T in much the same way...its there but it is as normal as the rising and setting of the sun...hope that makes sense...

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Engineer
      Creative

Engineer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      1/20/15
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely acoustic hearing loss
      I've had his happen to me 3 or 4 times. Excellent habituation, then 'discovering' it again. What I mean by discovering is a return of the anxiety and perception. Thankfully, In my case these occurrences have diminished, and hopefully
      I'm in a stretch of long term habituation. It's a bad feeling when you think all you have attained has quickly been lost. Despite this feeling, the accommodation is easier each time if you can keep the anxiety down, and that is the work. Keep up the hard work, every time you achieve a new level of habituation, you experience something that may regress but is ultimately attainable in the long term.

11. Ears Hurt

Ears Hurt Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Whiplash or Buzzer (abuse from ex)
      Some days are just so hard, ya so brutal at times. I think the ear pain is the worst. It never seems to let up.

12. I who love music
      Cheerful

I who love music Member

Tinnitus Since:
      mid seventies
      Quit thinking about it and do the BTS method.