For Those Who Suspect Their Tinnitus Is Due to Fluid...

Discussion in 'Support' started by new2this, Oct 7, 2016.

1. new2this

new2this Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis? not sure
      Hey everyone,

I have been struggling with tinnitus for a little over 2 months now, and it actually started with a clear ringing in my left ear, which has stayed, and within a week or two, a NEW, static sound in my RIGHT ear began as well. Almost as if there was cotton in there, or that I was simply losing my hearing yet I was able to hear everyone and everything perfectly well.

I had suspected fluid or inflammation. Nothing else. Doctors shrugged their shoulders and told me tinnitus can happen if "bones" move in your head, and another suggested otosclerosis. I didn't believe and dont believe it. Its my gut feeling due to the way both these sounds gradually came about and also the feelings in your ear. I had terribly itching sensations as well.

I read a lot. Didn't try a lot however. Until this past week. I have been on 3 things: mucinex, sudafed (only 30 mg) and am taking ear drops that once used to work for my intermittent tinnitus like a charm which is called dermotic oil (people online have warned against this increasing their tinnitus - it has not for me however).
      My tinnitus is on its way to being cured! I hope I dont jinx it saying this, but the sounds in both my ears are SO much better. And I don't even hear anything now unless I purposely plug my ears. It's been only about 4-5 days of the meds, and 1 week of the oil. Which is causing the relief? I couldn't tell you. Today I am going to go on the 60mg of sudafed to finish my week of meds and see how it goes.

I read online somewhere that if there is fluid in your ear, even a little bit like i suspect with mine, it can either subtly or not so subtly change the shape of your eardrum by pushing on it, After 3 months, the ear drum physiologically can change and cannot go back, Hence why ENTs demand to see patients with fluid in their ears at 3 months if unresolved (and they then proceed with grommets).

Therefore my theory is that if at 2 months you haven't tried consistently with the meds, I would try again, and for longer, because I do think that it takes more time to fix the issues if you haven't deal with it immediately. I am telling you all this because there is hope! I feel a lot better. I dont want to jump the gun and say this will 100% cure my tinnitus. But it has drastically gone down and now I know there is a link.

Have a good one guys!

2. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Glad it's working for you.

What makes you think there's fluid in your ear? I ask because I've wondered about this myself as well. I've got an odd symptom, and tell me if this sounds familiar to you... when I close my mouth and hum, the sound seems to bounce back and forth in my left ear, like air isn't escaping and volume of my humming is up and down. I can move my head in different directions and the sound will be fine. I hear fine, but a lot of the time it just feels blocked behind my ear. I saw an ENT and she said everything looked good, and it was probably just congestion. I started using Flonase a few days ago and I've been able to breathe out of my nostril a lot more often now, but still have the blocked feeling behind my ear.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      new2this

new2this Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      otosclerosis? not sure

It is a bit like that, but not the humming. I have a severe deviated septum to which I received from a bad rhinoplasty job 3 years ago (around the time my ear issues started as well as my "acid reflux" that i strongly think is actually just symptoms of severe post nasal drip... So that was my first clue. The ringing in my right ear started for a couple weeks and then slowly, my left had that sensation of cotton in my ear. To me that FELT like what hearing loss would sound like, and surprise surprise i had a bit of conductive hearing loss in that ear. The doctor then claimed it was otosclerosis, but I know in my heart it isn't. Im clearly having simultaneous ear issues almost exactly at the same time (not very likely if its otosclerosis as usually one ear is affected first and then moves onto the second, especially considering my right ear had 0 hearing loss so something was still wrong with it that the doctor said he couldn't explain...)
      I researched and researched, and found that fluid in ear can cause some conductive hearing loss. It all started adding up. Also not to mention that like I said, my nose is always congested because I cant breathe through both my nostrils, and it has b been getting worse over the years, as well I could almost just feel the tinnitus. Its hard to explain but the sound in my left ear was just muffle-y. It still is a bit but not as bad. Just felt like something was inflamed or there was fluid in there. OH not to mention my FIRST symptom with my ears (prior to ANY tinnitus) was an UNBEARABLE itch which felt like fluid in my ears. I would tell every single doctor I saw and they all said my outer ears were clean as a whistle - no infection. it drove me nuts! Did allergy tests - nothing. It still comes and goes too. Since March. And it just felt like I had to itch the insides of my ears all the way out and they themselves felt super full.

Anyway, Im not saying I dont have permanent damages, I might. But i know deep down it has something to do with what i mentioned, and I'm gonna do my best to fix it now before i cant fix it anymore.

4. Jacob83
      Balanced

Jacob83 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I <3 punk rock and metal
      Regardless of the damage that may or may not have happened, I'm happy to read you've found a way to lower your tinnitus quite a bit. Nice work.

5. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      How did he find a way to lower his tinnitus?...whether fluid in his ears is a contributor or not. Thousands have fluid in their ears and no tinnitus.