For Tinnitus That Are Reactive/Multi-Tonal, Is It Permanent?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Nocturne, May 19, 2018.

1. Nocturne

Nocturne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello there,

I have gotten ringing in my ear that started with just a soft high pitch (no idea from what) 3 weeks ago that became louder and reactive/hyperacusis (as well as different tone? maybe?) after a dental cleaning. It still haven't gone away and I am really afraid it's here to stay.

Is there any hopes of tinnitus like these go away? I am really lost right now and just wanted to see if there has been any cases like these resolving (or at least settle down to a soft ring or something)? :(

This is unbearable. Thank you.

• Hug Hug x 3
    2. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      For multi tonal tinnitus, from experience I can say that I had managed to get rid of them with Rivotril, but they come back during stress.

It is possible to get rid of them all. I am not sure if you can achieve that without medication, but after my improvement, if nothing very bad would have happened after that, I believe I would have been now ok and off medication.
      For tinnitus after dentist talk with @Bill Bauer.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Nocturne

Nocturne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/1/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the response Dana! When you say get rid of them all, do you mean the tinnitus itself.

I am new and recently acquired tinnitus and had been lurking around the success stories of people with temporary tinnitus. Still praying mine would somehow go away (unknown cause but spiked from dental cleaning or the prednisone I took afterward, unsure.). However, I don't know if any of those lucky fellas who had their tinnitus go away experienced similar severity/characteristic. I really thought mine would just go away when it was just one faint tone...Now it morphed into this loud beast, I don't know if I have any hopes anymore. Quite a dramatic change within 3 weeks...

4. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      In many cases, after the tinnitus appears, it gets worse. Much worse. In my case too. A faint noise, then a loud tone in one ear, after that it moved to the other ear, after that several other tones appeared.
      I do not know why this happens: maybe the stress, the scare from the tinnitus onset frightens the person so much that the limbic system goes on red alert and the other tones may appear from the brain which becomes hyperactive, including the temporal lobe, hence the sound that comes from hyperactivity in the temporal lobe.

As you may see on this forum, many members got tinnitus, even severe ones, after stress. Stress alone can cause tinnitus.
      I would suggest to take Rivotril made by Roche, the only medicine that helped me. Other members disagree with taking benzodiazepines, whatever.
      I am just saying what helped me.
      You can chose to stay off medicine, waiting for the brain to get used so much with the tinnitus, that it will push it in the background, it won't pay attention/listen to it, and this way you won't hear it anymore.
      Just like a wall clock ticking, in order to hear it two conditions must be met:
      1) The wall clock to tick, to make a noise
      2) the brain to pay attention, to give importance and to listen to the ticking.

Once the second requirement won't be met, you will not hear the tinnitus anymore. But it may appear again once you will go through a lot of stress and your brain will go on red alert again, as it is now.

Try to relax, be optimistic that you will stop hearing it one day. If you want to try something to calm down your nervois system, you may try natural sedatives, like Sedivitax. This one is safe.
      The other tones are just from the nervous system, a simple cleaning cannot do such damage to the hearing system.
      Relaxing and staying optimistic is key.
      The much blamed benzodiazepine are the only meds that work for tinnitus, and i got good results just with one of them, Rivotril, made by Roche.
      Maybe just a natural sedative will calm you down. I recomend the italian Sedivitax.
      Rivotril may be hard to obtain, depends on how stubborn your doctor is, but i will save you some trial and error: it is the most(only?) effective one.

@Bill Bauer what is your take?

5. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      All Bill Bauer does is pull up older posts about a subject. Anyone that uses the search function can accomplish that.

He has never had an ultrasonic teeth cleaning before so he does not have personal experience with that at all.

In my opinion he creates fear mongering that accomplishes 2 things.

1. He makes fearful people even more fearful of non-threatening normal every day exposure. For example he actually believes moderate noise levels even with ear plugs in can permenately worsen your tinnitus. That is asinine.
      2. The 2nd thing he dilutes your judgement on what is a true risk on worsening your tinnitus and what's not. So some people that instinctively conclude he has no merit or proof then will ignore the real risks because they think everything he posts isn't credible which isn't true.

I'm no better with some of my opinions and theories.

But if we tabulated the most common threats of worsening tinnitus. Ultrasonic teeth cleaning should be on the short list depending on the duration of the procedure.

As far as wondering if your tinnitus would lower it has a really good possibility of doing so.

Multi-tone tinnitus is common, but I don't think it will disappear when it's more than one tone and 2 seperate events may have caused your mild tinnitus and the new to be overlay.

Nobody knows what will happen really, we are just going by probabilities. It could go back to being mild with one tone. Or maybe the new tone fades out or only shows up when you have a spike.

6. DT_N_DA_CLUB

DT_N_DA_CLUB Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2011
      Medication like Xanax taken responsibly helps with spikes. I would only use it as a band aide.

Try taking magnesium too, that isn't nearly as effective as medication but it wouldn't hurt.

7. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      They can go away. My tinnius has been completely gone in 3 months, and has now returned somewhat. I suspect it's due to allergy or stress.

8. Holly1987

Holly1987 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I'm pretty sure Bill left, he doesn't comment anymore.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I've had tinnitus/reactive tinnitus that would get triggered by most sounds, like cars etc. It was always periodic and would dissapear. Since late january I would almost go as far to say im cured. For the last 3 months T hasnt been in my mind at ALL. I sleep without masking sound or any background sound at all..i feel terrific thank God. So it can absolutely get better or dissapear. The last week I've had some minor hissing coming back but its nothing horrific and I hope it'll go away again, like i said I suspect its due to allergy or stress since my T came back the same time I started getting my post nasal drip again..whjich usually gets worse in warm weather which we been having a lot of lately here in Sweden.

So stay calm and it can get better.