Former Basket Case

Discussion in 'Support' started by Michelle78, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Michelle78

Michelle78 Member

I do not know if I would classify myself as a success story just as of yet, but I will say that I am 180 degrees better mentally than I was in the first 1-3 months of the onset. I would have classified myself as a basket case during that time and I have slowly come to regain my grip on the things that I thought were lost forever.

I think by virtue of the "tincture of time" combined with the hard work that you have to put your mind to - which is staying positive, trying your best not to think about it and keeping busy, you can return to a reasonably "normal" frame of mind. I know in the initial stages these things seem like an impossibility, but they are self fulfilling.

And for me, I did not hesitate on using medication if it helped me feel better - which is not something that happens overnight either and should definitely be done with a good psychiatrist.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Hi Michelle,

Your story is a success story indeed. It's is quite inspiring to be honest.

3. Scarred

Scarred Member

That is how I was advised to cope with Tinnitus and so far so good. I am still affected by it but not to an extent I used to. All practitioners should give out this info.

4. Jamfer

Jamfer Guest

I used otc sleep meds. sometimes, because the best thing for me was sleep. I done most of the common things like running an air filter at night (for the masking noise). After getting over my initial 2 years of hyperacusis, I had 10 years so far of tinnitus. I guess I can say it's like a nagging wife with a nasty voice, you eventually stop noticing it. If I think about it I still hear it but so many years, it's normal now.
      When I first got it I had a fear that it might get worse. But over time it varies some, and at times changes for moments like a cricket or sometimes a second or two of silence. The silence moments are maybe once every few months, what's with that?
      I measure the loudness by comparing it to hearing over taking a shower. Now the shower just about covers it up.
      pseudoephedrine makes it worst.
      Cheers Jamfer

5. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Founder Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      The silent moments are interesting, quite a few tinnitus sufferers report those. I haven't experienced them but I know many who do. Some can get them daily, some weekly, some every other month. Varies a lot. Some report them as few passing seconds, some have longer "remissions"/pauses.

I don't know but could it be a positive sign if one regularly experiences a complete pause in tinnitus? Maybe the brain/ear is trying to adjust/recover or something. Don't really know, but it's fascinating how many types of tinnitus there are and how all that varies from person to person.

6. Pamela

Pamela Member

I have daily moments of silence/almost silence. Other oto patients I've talked to have said it's normal and happens often.

7. Eric Winch

Eric Winch Member

i dont get "silence" i do have times were if there is other sounds i foget its there for a while

8. Allevous

Allevous Member

Same here... but every time I try to listen to it I can hear it if I want.

9. Eric Winch

Eric Winch Member

same here

10. Seras

Seras Member

I do get not more than a second of silence. If you get hours or days that's not typical and is a good sign.