Formula 1 Car Race Gave Me Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by VerySadBoy, Sep 13, 2021.

1. VerySadBoy

VerySadBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      F1 Race
      Hello,

On September 3th I attended a F1 race. It was my first time in such event and I made a very big mistake, I did not wear earplugs during the race just like most of the people watching it.

I was exposed to 130 decibels for approximately an hour (not constantly, there were many breaks in between but still...) and after that I decided to buy the earplugs and protect my ears. I then sat there watching the race for another hour with earplugs.

It’s been almost a week and a half since the constant tinnitus noise in my left ear. I have never had this before, nor am I a person who listen to loud music or go to parties or places with loud noises. As far as I can remember this is absolutely the first time me having tinnitus.

I am so concerned about it that a few days ago, when it had lasted a week, I went to a doctor where she only checked if there were any visible damage (literally a 1 minute check) and she said “it will pass”, but for some reason I don’t believe it based on such a simple check.

Since you guys are experienced and have heard many other stories, I’d like to know what you guys think: what’s the likelihood that it’s going away? Any reply, tips, etc. are very much appreciated.

Thank you.

2. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      Seeing as it's your first ever incidence of tinnitus, the likelihood of it resolving is high.

Also, you sound young, so even higher.

Stay away from noisy places for a couple of weeks.

Try to rest, stay at home and relax. Let your ears heal.

And consider taking some anti-inflammatory vitamins. (Search the forum for different vitamins that are good for after noise exposure).

• Like Like x 1
    3. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Be careful with loud noises next 6 months and hope for the best!

I don’t think 130 dB at your ear is correct. In that case you would probably have felt pain during the race.

Remember improvements are often not linear so just be very patient and careful.

• Like Like x 2
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      VerySadBoy

VerySadBoy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      F1 Race
      I have started taking Multivitamins after your comment. Could you please confirm that the vitamins you've mentioned are A, C and E?
      I am being very careful since them. I'm using my noise cancelling headphones (without any music) every time I'm exposed to noises, but unfortunately the noise isn't getting any lower. May I ask why exactly 6 months? I though that after 3 months it would be there forever.

To give an update since my post, I have an appointment with an ETN in early October, besides that, nothing new unfortunately.

5. Exit

Exit Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Very smart wearing headphones over your ears outside. Some people here say the noise-cancellation feature is harmful, but we are all very paranoid, me including... I have Bose over-the-ear headphones. I use them when walking in the mountains (dogs) or driving to have some protection. I don’t use the noise cancellation. I think that protection is “fake.”

In motorcycle season I drive my car with earmuffs... probably to extreme but that’s how I have gotten.

I also use earmuffs when walking on roads. Many people use earplugs, I don’t like earplugs so I use earmuffs instead.

You must figure out yourself what protection you need.

6 months seems to be the average where most people have had improvements if they have any.

ENTs in my country also say 6 months is the acute phase.

Do not worry if you haven’t had any progress in 3 months!

• Like Like x 2
    6. Damocles
      No Mood

Damocles Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otitis media
      A, C and E are good. If you can add: Turmeric, Magnesium, Zinc, B (complex) and N-Acetylcysteine, would be even better.
      The first year is what is used (generally) to distinguish acute cases from chronic.

Essentially, if you still have this after 1 year, you're one of us and you can join in all our banter and funny jokes in the Chit Chat and All That... thread. Until then, you're a noob who has every possibility of recovering, and we hate you.
      My advice would be to buy a pair of ear defenders instead of relying on your noise cancelling headphones. Noise cancellation is good at removing static noise (aka. continuous noise), like an idle car engine, or a fan etc. But for sudden noises, like construction work, car horns, bangs and clatters etc. they're basically useless. So invest in ear defenders while your ears are healing.
      ENT isn't going to be very helpful, I'm sorry to have to tell you, but it's best you know in advance. Simple fact: we know more about your condition right here on this forum than any ENT.

ENT will check your ears, say there's no visible damage, and tell you it'll probably go down, much like we have.

Anyway, good luck. Forum is here for all your questions until your tinnitus disappears, or drops to a very low level (provided you avoid any further noise trauma).

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1