Four Hours of Sleep in Last 48 Hours, I Need Some Reassurance

Discussion in 'Support' started by linearb, Jun 3, 2015.

1. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm out of town on business (I wore earplugs and ear muffs for most of my flight, especially the hop where I was seated by the engine). The few days before I left had been pretty good, I hadn't been thinking about T very much.

The first night I was here I only slept 4 hours, so I was pretty out of it yesterday... and then I managed to not get any sleep at all last night. Like, literally not a wink. I had to change my travel plans and stay in hotel instead of in an AirBnB with a bunch of my coworkers, so that I can hopefully get some sleep tonight (I'm also going to see about getting some Ambien).

However, my T is absolutely howling today. Intellectually, I know that there have been other times that "no sleep == worse T", and that it does always calm down again, and that if I was doing well enough for this trip to seem like a realistic/good idea on the weekend, well, I will get back there and have more days that don't seem like such a horrid drag.

I could use some reassurance from other people who have been through this, though.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Yup there are probably a number of forces at work against you and your T. The main one being sleep or lack of sleep. Bad sleep or lack there of always makes my T far worse. Then you have to factor in that you are on the road, traveling and out of your element. This adds underlying stress whether you feel it or not and has an effect on your body, mind and ultimately T. I always seem to have worse T when I travel for work. I usually compensate by drinking more in the evening (to help relax and sleep), which does not help my T but it makes me sleep. I suspect once you return home and to your normal routine, things will go back to the way they were.

• Hug Hug x 1
    3. labrat10687

labrat10687 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When my tinnitus first started as like most everyone else getting sleep was a big problem. Did some reading about what might help and read where the drug Amitriptyline might help. That did it. Small dose and it worked wonders.

4. ruben ruiz

ruben ruiz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I believe it was meds and stress
      Personally I dont see how your doing this. I believe if you go too many days with bad or no sleep the tinnitus
      can get worse. I cant work any longer. Jet travel, loud hotels and cities- no bueno!

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I went through a period of severe insomnia for weeks on end a couple years ago. It did not have any permanent impact on my tinnitus. I an skeptical that's a real concern, but it's certainly not useful for me to think about.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. Ruben, really? What makes you believe this? and last summer when I straight cross tapered from clonazepam to Valium( bad idea) I barely slept at all...I mean, I went a whole month on little sleep and my T or H did not permanently worsen. I had HORRIBLE anxiety, I'm talking derealization stuff but my T was ok surprisingly! !

Yes, not sleeping can make it spike, but a permanent spike? maybe if you were a true insomaniac and even then are there studies?

• Like Like x 1
    7. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to hear about your struggles. Have you ever tried Jamaican dogwood? It's a powerful sedative, quite good for sleep.

• Like Like x 1
    8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I haven't, Danny, and I pride myself on knowing all about plant based medicines. I'll look in to it. In the mean time I did get a small Ambien prescription, and I am hoping that just having it in hand will help me sleep without actually having to take it.

9. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      Hey - I know my T generally goes crazy when I don't get enough sleep. I'm sure things will go back to normal after a solid 10 hr or so of catch up sleep. Are you jet lagged?

10. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I know too much about plant based medicine, trust me, way too much.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, I am. Three hour time shift, my body is going crazy.

The thing is, my anxiety and physiological obsessive problems, predate my T. T is just the latest in a string of related problems. And, when I really live my life in a careful and self-loving way, all these problems get better...but it's so hard! I just wanted to come on a fast paced business trip and be fine, just like all my fast paced co-workers. I could have skipped this trip. I need to accept that I am not that person.

• Hug Hug x 1
    12. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      I know the feeling as I have serious obsessive compulsive problems some times. I also have depression and anxiety since adolescence - I can tell you I also know how hard it is- I don't feel like a fast paced worker anymore and I can just say lack of sleep makes everything harder! Hope you get some rest soon bud.

13. cullenbohannon
      Thinking

cullenbohannon Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      I think we once you get get rested and get home. You'll see that you're okay. And when it's over it might have been a positive experience. You might find that you can go on trips like this where your t might spike from sleep or stress or whatever else. And find that it's something you can handle. Now I'm not talking in any way about you doing things that rusk permanent increases in t. But I suspect that a large part of people spikes when related to sleep or stress is probably not an actual increase in volume. Hang in there. @linearb

• Like Like x 1
    14. MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Are you specialized in one type of plant?

15. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I mean herbal medicine lol

• Funny Funny x 1
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      linearb
      Psychedelic

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      jamaican dogwood apparently has cannabinoid properties. That's interesting, if not especially helpful to me...

17. soundmachine
      Buzzed

soundmachine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      Try Belsomra..Ambien is Z drug related to benzos. Belsomra acts on the orexin receptors and not gaba. Not that I would suggest taking it for over a month but it's supposed to be "non addictive" (well much less than Z drugs). I also got ototoxicity from ambien..It damaged my hearing even more.

18. soundmachine
      Buzzed

soundmachine Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic + Ototoxicity
      Didn't know that one either. It goes for 16 USD on a website I use for supplements. In liquid form. I might try that along with Lemon Balm.

19. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I fly with bose noise cancelation headphones. I know how you feel.. I swear I didn't sleep the first few weeks I had tinnitus. I went to work with red eyes and people kept saying you look sleepy. Tired.

But luckily my T became less loud over time and with lumbar puncture. So even though I miss the silence at night. .. I fall asleep after an hour and I sleep well every night.