Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I know. I was expecting something like 5 years from now... I'm excited as well.

If it helps with hearing loss, it will help with tinnitus for most people. I am the textbook example of put hearing aides in tinnitus goes from a 5 to a 1 even in a quiet room. Take them out and tinnitus goes from a 1 to a 5. Sometimes minutes, sometimes seconds, but the result is the same. Our brains are plastic and I like to experiment on myself enough to know that it is going to help. Please everyone keep faith.

I also created this thread so we could post, discuss, vent, argue... whatever. We are all on the same team!

• Like Like x 3
      • Winner Winner x 1
    2. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So, uh... Is it important to keep ailments secret now? If I break my leg, should I try to hide that?

In any case that response was hellawack. Dodging the question with a wall of text isn't the right way.

3. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      So what do you think about better delivery methods? Columbia University is working on a needle that can get drugs directly inside the cochlea by infiltrating the round window membrane instead of drugs permeating through it. The same needle can be used to extract perilymph, possibly allowing us to get a better picture of what’s going on in the inner ear.

There’s also Otomagnetics that recently partnered with a company that specializes in getting drugs and medical devices on the market.

• Like Like x 1
    4. FGG
      No Mood

FGG Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      It came off like a form letter type response to be honest. They didn't even ask about any symptoms/conditions.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      That's bad ass.
      That is the dumbest idea I have ever seen. For that to work then the drug would have to be mixed with ferrous nano particles. Do we really want nano sized pieces of metal in our cochlea? Also, if you watch the video, they clearly have no idea how magnets work. You cannot just make a magnetic field to hold stuff in space a certain distance from the magnet, magnets attract. The only way to do that is by using super conductors and cryogenics.

• Informative Informative x 1
    6. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      I agree with you on this. Delivery of the drug into the cochlea will be the crucial issue and I wonder if Frequency's hydrogel will be enough to do the job.

If the results of the FX-322 experiment on the cochlea removed from a patient were deemed successful, but not necessarily as robust as they'd desired and this was an easily accessible cochlea on a tray in a lab, then how much improvement can be expected in a live ear which must deal with all the issues of access and permeability.

No matter how effective FX-322 may be, it's not much use if it can't get into where it needs to go.

• Like Like x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes, it is boiler plate.

8. WickedCarnival

WickedCarnival Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Late Autumn 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure between azithromycin or viral infection
      I think it's mostly for preventing data bias: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bias_(statistics)

I would also guess that they want to set boundaries between themselves and patients when it comes to the relationship/psychological aspect of treatment and trials.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    9. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It will just take many doses.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    10. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      I’m not a scientist so I can’t debate you on this. All I know is that their recent work on rats said it’s safe:

“The test arms of this preclinical study included single and multiple magnetic doses, and control arms included intra-tympanic saline and intra-tympanic prednisolone. It was found that there was no statistical difference in hearing between magnetically treated ears versus ears that received intra-tympanic steroid, both 2 and 30 days after treatment. There were no adverse histopathology findings for ear tissues. All ear inflammatory changes were very mild in severity and by 90 days after treatment there was ongoing and almost complete reversibility of all changes. No ear tissue scarring or hemorrhage trends were associated with magnetic delivery. Additionally, the systemic levels of drug and iron were low after magnetic delivery to the ear. Systemic drug levels were below mass-spectrometry detection limits, and systemic iron levels were no different in animals that received nanoparticles to their ears than in animals that did not. In summary, after conducting a rodent safety study for magnetic injection of therapy to the cochlea, no adverse safety findings were observed.”

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6235712/

In the end clinical trials will have to prove this is safe and effective. Their CEO said they want to go from Phase 1 to Phase 3 immediately and have this on the market in 2021 at the latest.

• Like Like x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    11. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      The point is, I wasn't talking about my condition or situation at all. I simply asked when they plan to release the results of their first study.

• Agree Agree x 1
    12. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Has frequency been approved to go public on the stock market?

My understanding is that's hard to achieve without evidence.

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    13. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I knew nothing about this. Wow. Great find.

• Like Like x 1
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    14. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's a boiler plate. I've gotten it too.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    15. Rb86

Rb86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      5/31/19
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    16. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      By the way, did anybody read this little snippet in their prospectus?

“We have submitted an application for Fast-Track Designation for FX-322 for the treatment of SNHL in adults to the FDA.”

Was some speculation/indication they were gonna do that, now it’s confirmed.

• Like Like x 6
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    17. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      “We have submitted an application for Fast-Track Designation for FX-322 for the treatment of SNHL in adults to the FDA.”
      :joyful:
      @Jurger, welcome to the forum. I can tell you are going to be a positive contributor to the discussion. If you're insane, join My Posting Place. We are meme-ing our way to a cure.

• Like x 1
      • Agree x 1
      • Winner x 1
      • Informative x 1
      • Friendly x 1
      • Useful x 1
      • Optimistic x 1
    18. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      "We may seek a Breakthrough Therapy designation for FX-322 if future results support such designation. A Breakthrough Therapy is defined as a drug that is intended, alone or in combination with one or more other drugs, to treat a serious condition, and preliminary clinical evidence indicates that the drug may demonstrate substantial improvement over existing therapies on one or more clinically significant endpoints, such as substantial treatment effects observed early in clinical development."

https://sec.report/Document/0001193125-19-239976/

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    19. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Who is the king of this thread and can answer the following:

- Do we have any members here who participated in phase 1? Have they benefited in terms of hearing loss, tinnitus, hyperacusis?

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    20. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      Frustrating that some trials can progress so quickly, whilst others just drag on and on.

• Agree Agree x 2
    21. Dizzyhead888

Dizzyhead888 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Medical mistake
      Any source mentioned that it works on low frequency hair cells only and not high frequency?

22. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Think it has to do with a drug delivery method being a medical device, which doesn’t have the same strict requirements for approval as drugs.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
    23. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    24. Mathieulh
      No Mood

Mathieulh Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/24/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Chronic headphones use and acute noise induced trauma.
      Not to sound egoistical, but high frequencies are good enough for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
    25. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      It’s the other way around, it seems to do regrow more hair cells in the higher frequencies. Why? Because those hair cells are located at the base of your cochlea and that’s the area the drugs reach first after permeating through your round window membrane (that’s Frequency’s own theory).

It’s also the reason I think we need to focus more on better delivery methods (intracochlear delivery, nanoparticle delivery) than intratympanic injections.

1. Better chance of reaching the apex of the cochlea (lower frequencies)

2. Higher concentration of drugs in the cochlea (less leakage of drugs through the eustachian tube)

3. Longer duration of drugs in the cochlea (meaning less injections or whatever delivery method they will use)

The better these drugs work, the more patients they can help and the more commercially viable they become.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Genius Genius x 1
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      When they increase the dose for this trial it may very well reach the apex.

• Useful Useful x 1
    27. Daniel Lion
      Ape-like

Daniel Lion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise trauma, hearing loss
      Why preface by saying “not to sound”, why not just say, I want my high frequencies back because they are damaged. And for those with profound or severe hearing loss, oh well... they got a shitty hand of cards, but it’s not my problem.

28. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Would be great if we could target tinnitus frequencies like keys on a piano. :)

"Targeted drug delivery
      , sometimes called smart drug delivery, is a method of delivering medication to a patient in a manner that increases the concentration of the medication in some parts of the body relative to others."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Targeted_drug_delivery

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    29. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      The commercial viability of this drug will depend in large part on its ability to substitute or at least complement hearing aids. That’s why Frequency keeps mentioning the billions that are being spent on hearing aids every year. They - or whichever company ends up buying this - will want to go to governments and insurance companies and say: look, instead of spending 4000 bucks per patient on hearing aids every 5 years, try this. Not to mention lowering the risk of dementia, which costs societies bucketloads of money and will likely increase the coming decades. If all this drug ends up doing is fixing frequencies >8000 Hz, it will strongly evaporate the value of this drug. That’s not to discount patients who are suffering of tinnitus because of >8000 Hz hearing loss, but that’s simply not the biggest market.

And besides, if a patient like that ends up with low frequency hearing loss because of age and gets tinnitus (again), that patient is still screwed.

• Informative Informative x 4
    30. Jurger

Jurger Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss
      Might be, but there’s strong evidence of intratympanic delivered drugs barely reaching the apex. I’ve seen studies where they found out 2.5% of the drugs reached the cochlea.

Edit: that’s why I thought it was a shame they didn’t publish more of their Phase 1 data. Sure, there were no adverse effects and the bioavailability was there, but the question for me is: how much and after how long? That tells us a lot. Honestly, the crux might be in that study instead of the Phase 1/2 one.

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2