Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      I dont think there is a limit, but 50db is moderate loss which is what they are saying will still work.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      No, I don't believe so. If it works as advertised, supporting cells at particular locations will be restored and will restore the frequencies associated with particular hair cells.

• Informative Informative x 1
    3. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      That's depressing. That means that hair cells completely wiped out along with their supporting cells in upper frequencies, causing profound deafness in those regions, may mean that tinnitus will not be eliminated, if loss in those frequencies is its cause.

4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Fabrikat Please don't get depressed. We're all just guessing here. Frequency Tx was able to get supporting cells to regenerate and divide in the lab, so they may be able to do the same in a person.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    5. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Here's a short radio interview with co-founder David Lucchino. Summary:
      • They are still working on the drug.
      • They're testing one single injection with "significant promise".
      • It most likely won't work for "genetic hearing loss".
      • The article published back in February included most but not all the preclinical intel they got. New paper is on the way with new data.
      • He believes the drug could be on the market in three to five years if they can push FDA to approve it (I'm not English so this may not be accurate, please someone check min. 4:46).

• Optimistic Optimistic x 7
      • Like Like x 4
      • Informative Informative x 3
    6. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      Hoping is the only thing i can do
      Its been three terrible months of my brain overloading all day long and i just wish i could wake up one day without T and have my solid stereo hearing back

Wish that for everybody

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Genius Genius x 1
    7. Guys, I have been thinking...for profound hearing loss, which therapy can work? I read in this thread only cochlear implants work for profound hearing loss. But implant for me hasn't achieved anything. Is it true by being implanted, the cochlea is destroyed and removing the implant surgically the cochlea cannot be returned to its form before implant surgery?

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I wouldn't say "destroyed", but it does seem like the expectation is that the implantation is going to damage the cochlea to some extent. The doctors try to minimize this damage, but it's a difficult task.

• Creative Creative x 1
    9. I'm just having second thoughts whether to leave the electrode in or remove it. My surgery is due soon and I been debating with the idea. When I questioned the surgeon, he did say either way my cochlea is damaged. Don't know if he meant surgery wise but for hearing it is

10. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't know if it's possible to find out what gets damaged in the process. Maybe whatever is damaged is something that some med treatment can try to "regrow" in the future.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Thanks Greg for the reassurance. Just worried at looking at the possible trials starting soon eg FXT and Horizon 2020; I can't find anything related to profound hearing loss. Sure, these might work for my other ear which has severe loss.

12. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      @Iliasp Let's just hope it works, period!!!

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. jacob21
      Amazed

jacob21 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2008 > 2009 "cured" >2nd onset June 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induce ( loud music )
      • Informative Informative x 3
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How much hearing loss do they expect to "regain" with this therapy? 10, 20, 50 db?

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    15. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Agree Agree x 4
    16. Paulmanlike

Paulmanlike Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
      Question.

I know this product is to treat sensorial hearing loss primarily. What about for those people with tinnitus and no hearing loss where the suspected cause is noise over the years? Am I right to get excited about this product? Would I still be able to have the injection anyway to repair damage to see if it fixes the tinnitus? All these questions going through my mind and hoping one day tinnitus will no longer be an issue in my life.

• Good Question Good Question x 4
    17. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      1 to 50 (or more !) I believe :popcorndrink:

• Useful Useful x 3
    18. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Be serious please, if they aim to regain only 20 db they wouldn't even bother to start clinical trials as hearing aids are usually more efficient.

• Like Like x 1
    19. Foncky
      Tired

Foncky Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2004
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Music. Balloon. Genes.
      There is no answer for now, so giving a number is impossible.

I don't agree with your statement though. They are focused on regenerative medicine. 20dB would mean it works, so it'd be totally worth a clinical trial before improving the technology and going further.

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    20. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    21. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      No, I have read somewhere before that it will only be approved by regulators if it is more efficient than hearing aids. I am not sure 20 db regeneration meets that definition.

22. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      It is no surprise that they are working on another paper. I will wait to see whether it captures the imagination of the scientific community. He is the CEO after all. What do you expect him to say?

Again, he is the CEO, what do you expect him to say?

I'd like to see the source for that statement.

You should look into Decibel Therapeutics. Frequency might be appropriate if you have high frequency hearing loss. Once it is on the market, the main issue you will face (in the US at least) is paying for it. It will likely be very expensive, and insurance will not pay "to see if it fixes tinnitus" because that will almost certainly be an off-label use.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Yep, fair enough, I'm just bulletpointing what he said

24. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      I know.

My takeaways were 1) he said the first paper contained most of the pre-clinical data which if true is disappointing and 2) the 3-5 year timeline which is aggressive and represents and absolute best-case scenario. A bit surprising that he would choose that time frame.

I take all of it with a grain of salt until we see results.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    25. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Informative Informative x 1
    26. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      What do we know about FX-322 at this point (that isn't yet published)?

If you look closely at the picture at http://www.hartfordbusiness.com/article/20160815/PRINTEDITION/308129966/uconn, you see the slide discusses the restoration of hearing in mice. This work will presumably be at the heart of the next paper. It looks like the injection was done 24 hours after damage so a significant remaining question will be how effecting this is months or years after damage. Additionally, it obviously isn't clear from one slide how much hearing was restored.

Most interesting, the article is dated August 15, 2016. So this is well before the big paper in February. This is not surprising as they are not waiting for one paper to be published before starting on the next idea. Still interesting to know where they were well before August of last year.

• Like Like x 1
    27. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      First Frequency Therapeutics Trial in Humans

I debated about starting a separate thread, but since this seems more like preclinical work than an actual trial, it seems appropriate here.

If you look at the bottom of the page http://adisinsight.springer.com/drugs/800048613, they mention an Australian trial for sensorineural hearing loss. This would appear to be the first use of FX-322 in humans.

The trial registry page is https://anzctr.org.au/Trial/Registration/TrialReview.aspx?id=372587

It's a little odd to me that this trial has not been mentioned in any of the interviews - perhaps because it is not a Phase 1 trial for hearing loss. In fact, it appears to be more pre-clinical than clinical.

The primary outcome is "To assess diffusion of FX-322 from the middle ear, across the oval and round window membranes, and into the cochlear fluid (perilymph). The concentration of FX-322 will be analysed from the perilymph fluid and blood plasma by standard laboratory methods." Recovery of hearing is not an outcome they are studying in this context.

It makes complete sense that Frequency would want to know these things, but it is less clear what is in it for the CI users as this adds an additional risk variable for them. It must be that FX-322 is viewed as essentially safe, and the appropriate IRB(s) must have agreed.

Anticipated first enrollment was 5/22/2017 with data collected expected to be complete by 9/18/2017. I suspect these dates will slip some. As I said, this looks almost more like a pre-clinical to determine dosing. I doubt we will see a paper out of this, but I suspect it will help inform the "real" trial. In fact, my guess is that this will need to be complete before the first trial to better understand dosing.

Interesting that it is being conducted in Australia.

• Informative Informative x 6
    28. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unless you're a military veteran. I can't see the government choosing to pay out over a billion a year, whilst a possible tinnitus treatment is out there, off label or not. Join the Army and save!

29. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I suspect most of us would kill for a 20db improvement. Especially if it somehow corresponds to an equivalent reduction in tinnitus annoyance.

• Agree Agree x 7
    30. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Bearing in mind they have claimed the trial to start in 12-18 for quite a while, maybe this 3-5 will last a while too, thus.......