Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma, Hearing loss
      No surprise at all, even this date seems a bit optimistic :) i was hoping that they just dont update the trial data that often but that was not the case!

If we take into account FTs approach, even administering the drug to a profoundly deaf persons cochlea would be beneficial, CI receivers are all about the cochlear nerve, even if there is some minimal regeneration it would be nice

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    2. jcloth

jcloth Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      No new information really but here's a podcast about Frequency:

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
    4. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Looking at the dates, I'm guessing nothing on the market for 10 years.

5. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Co-founder David Lucchino said that the drug could be on the market in three to five years.

• Like Like x 3
    6. Adam0309

Adam0309 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      • Informative Informative x 1
    7. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I wish this would be true, but 3 years is impossible in my view 3 years would be realistic, if they would be in a phase 3 trial right now. Small companies tending to hype their pipeline candidates, which make sense to attract investors.
      I think if they are succsessful with one of their candidates they will commercialize the therapy with a giant pharma company and this alone will take time until they have updated their portfolio with all the tools for analizing and procedures.
      And at least they have to make many many agreements with insurances which are all different in every country.
      I hope I am completly wrong and everything is much easier.

The best would be to be in a working non double blinded trial, but there is a limited access as we know.

8. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      The fast track route seems to be working with various gene treatment candidates, otherwise we are gonna be around here for quite some time :)
      And to be honest, my main concern and strugle is hearing loss so i am waiting like a fool such a treatment! Tinnitus? I had my time to adapt, it was quite hard but right now, not a single f$&$ is given :)

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 3
    9. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Short radio interview with CEO David Lucchino (from minute 28). Nothing new, though still interesting.

• Like Like x 2
    10. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      new and good to know, that Lucchino has also experience in treatment of it's own health issue and knows
      what it means to invest in novel treatments.

• Like Like x 3
    11. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      • Like Like x 5
    12. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 6
    13. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sadly, I wouldn't expect anything. It's a meeting for investors to explore new opportunities to invest in, not a TED-like presentations. Yes, they could update their status to investors if that means they can get more funding, but don't expect it to get to us.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 3
    15. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Wondered when this might show up here. These are patent applications, not patents. You can find the details on 9 of the applications by doing a search on Will McLean's name at the USPTO: http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-...html&r=0&f=S&l=50&d=PG01&Query="mclean,+will"

Not sure why only 9 are showing up under Will Mclean's name in that search. There's info on the one where he is solo applicant here: https://www.google.com/patents/WO2017151909A2?cl=en

Here's the other one that doesn't show up in a direct search of uspto: https://www.google.com/patents/WO2017151907A1?cl=en

• Informative Informative x 3
    16. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:

Enjoy

17. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      • Like Like x 2
    18. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Details are described at Espacenet as well, in the left menu under Description. Reads better then the uspto website.

The patents indeed have not been awarded yet, though it's interesting to see they are applying for them. Decibel e.g., currently has none applied for what I see, and Audion has one application.

The patents mostly are about the proliferation of the stem cells, but still this is interesting to follow. Especially in this sector, a lot of the success correlates with the intellectual property. Also says something about how serious you take yourself as a company. Off course, given that they shouldn't turnout to be a patent troll.

Most important, with a decent IP portfolio, it's more easy to get investors on board, given your equity increases with your IP increasing. If you take in account, that bringing an average drug to the market requires about 350 Million, they would probably need some additional investors.

I consider it to be encouraging they apply for such patents, though I'm not in the position to judge the value of them.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I've been following this FX322 (Frequency Therapeutics) and CGF166 (GenVec). It seems the CGF166 is MUCH further along, but my understanding is CGF166 converts existing support cells into hair cells by delivering ATOH1 gene. This means that there is a reduction in the number of support cells after treatment because some unknown quantity convert to hair cells. However, FX322 appears to cause a division only in the Lgr5+ progenitor/support cells. IF I'm interpreting this correctly, it seems FX322 treatment would leave the support cells intact for possible future activated division. That all being said, it seems if a person does the CGF166 treatment, it could diminish the number of support cells hindering a future Lgr5+ division technique like FX322 later in life. I wonder how many support cells get converted to hair cells with CGF166 and how many support cells are left after. If these really work, I just think there could be cases where there is a need for multiple treatments over a person's lifetime. I do know support cells can only divide so many times as well, so FX322 will probably have some limit on the number of treatments as well. This is just my interpretation. What do others think?

• Like Like x 1
    20. Iliasp

Iliasp Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Screen Shot 2018-09-05 at 0.15.00.png

That's for your first question, as far as retreatment options i was thinking the same some days before, it would also make a meaningful business model for the company, charging per treatment, some may need one some may need multiple

• Like Like x 1
    21. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      Genvec had issues with recruiting and their trail should end in June 2019. Their method of delivery to the inner ear is intrusive. So I would definitely prefer FX. Their method will allow for a quick expansion in the market place once they have succesfully conducted the trials and their solution is effective and has been approved. Same for Audion.

The patents we see from FX give me a positive feeling as they also concern the method of delivery for which they have now a trail running. So maybe it is an indication that this method is effective.

But maybe I'm guessing way too much.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. 3C36F00A-8EC7-4A21-BAF2-8F8EEB2112A0.jpeg

• Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    23. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      • Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    24. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Informative Informative x 2
    25. jer

jer Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think that 3 years is probably a little bit too soon to be done with all the trials and be on the market. But 5 years if they could get it fast tracked and get moving on the trials soon with finding the patients to do it sounds more realistic.

Just imagine that guys and girls. In about 5 years we could have the first working treatments for our condition. Could also not eventually be that the loss of supporting cells can be mitigated by using stem cells to replace those?

• Optimistic Optimistic x 8
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      As I read your post with my morning coffee with backdrop of hiss in my head...aka my handle stop-hiss...I have to believe with all the different approaches being researched, there will at least be therapies that will diminish this noise.
      I believe it will be solved. Time horizon is hard to predict and yes, its a vexing problem and why it has taken so long.

Invention comes when it does and never before in spite of those optimistic and all the nay sayers on the forum who extrapolate from the past which I believe is short sighted. Jet airplanes in the 16th century would have thought about as witchcraft. Wasn't that long ago the Wright brothers were jumping off a cliff in an effort to emulate birds and fly. Primitive man. Modern man has been on earth for 200,000 years and the cell phone has just been invented on the heels of the internet that allows us to communicate. :) So timeline can't be predicted. But so much is being learned about how cells work. One day aging will be abated as well. For example I have contracted tinnitus late in life. Really had perfect hearing throughout my life. Never a single issue. So my cells are changing due to the aging process interacting with the environment I have lived.

Indeed, I do imagine this time 3-5 years from now. And looking 20-50 years into the future which will be even more unrecognizable than the 50's are today because technology grows geometrically.... with advancement in technology and medicine, initial efforts to quiet tinnitus will be looked upon as primitive...that is if civilization lasts that long. ;)

Good luck to us all.

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 1
    27. Coleoptere
      Alone

Coleoptere Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bell's Palsy, hearing loss
      My thought: the main compagnies which might offer a cure are Genvec, FX and Audion. So if one of them will have real good results out of their trials then 3-5 years could be possible. If not we will fall into a window of 5-10+ years. So the upcoming 2-3 years will be decisive.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    28. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      If all work well. 3-5 years would be very optimistic because that would mean one of these should have it first time right. Once read only 1 in 10 drugs make it from phase 1 to the market. Hope this indeed is FX.

• Agree Agree x 2
    29. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Do not compare such a regenerative therapy to classical drugs. Is completely different

• Agree Agree x 2
    30. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      Can you explain the difference?