Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      We don't know much about FX-322, but it seems likely that the basic idea is the same as in the study. There would have to be improvements over what is in the paper, because it seems very unlikely that what is in the paper would result in meaningful improvements in living humans.

If you look at the McLean et al paper from February, they said this about the experiment using adult inner ear tissue (emphasis added),

"We further tested the conditions using one sample of healthy human inner ear tissue isolated from a 40-year-old male patient undergoing a labyrinthectomy to access a tumor on the brain. The inner ear tissue was microdissected to remove bone, debris, and nerve tissue. The tissue was then treated identically to the mouse tissue to isolate single cells for culture. The single cells formed clonal colonies after 12 days under EFICVP6 conditions, although expansion was not as robust as that seen for neonatal cells (Figure 6F). The colonies stained for Sox2, a known marker of inner ear progenitor cells (Figure 6F). After 12 days of expansion, the cultures were treated with LY411575 and CHIR for 10 days to differentiate the colonies. The colonies stained positively for the hair cell marker myosin VIIa (Figure 6G), suggesting that sensory epithelium from adult human inner ear can also give rise to hair cell progenitors."

So in that case they applied the first "treatment" for 12 days and then the second for 10 days. This seems unlikely to work in humans though one of the goals of the first trial is to understand understand diffusion of FX-322 into the inner ear and subsequent concentrations in the perilymph fluid. The trial uses 1 injection, but we don't know if that is where they are in terms of treatment or if that is all they need to understand the diffusion of the drug. As I have said before, we will know much more if/when we see the next paper or papers.

• Informative Informative x 5
      • Agree Agree x 1
    2. parsky

parsky Member

Tinnitus Since:
      8/1/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Yea, I’m just not sure why you would spend money on a trial if you didn’t think it would work. If they even got something to give people 10db back that would be a pretty big deal.

• Agree Agree x 4
    3. Benoves

Benoves Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknow possibly noise trauma
      Everybody seemed to be positive about frequency, did i miss something Or don't i understand it?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    4. spingee
      Wtf

spingee Member

Its just coping mechanism

5. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      So you mean everyone is positive to better cope? But What If they fail?

6. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Suicide goes up. jk

People are optimistic because the results are, at least, promising. From the ones working in it Frequency sounds most promising until now, at least to us "outsiders". Whether they succeed or not, it's the beginning of a whole new biochemical era. Remember your first mobile phone? Look where we are now. The future is closer than ever.

• Like Like x 5
      • Agree Agree x 3
    7. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Believing this. Last night i Read something about a child was given a new skin. Who was expecting that 2 years ago?

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    8. jeff W

jeff W Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2012
      Now this is useful. Thank you

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Kate Winstol
      Sporty

Kate Winstol Member

Tinnitus Since:
      He mean that you should habituate fastest possible. Let us discuss treatments when there really are any. Disappointment will only make the pain longer.

And please do remember everybody that what the companies says about how close they are shouldn't matter. They look for profit after all

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    10. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      going for a rim shot on the snare drum.
      yup its all about the mighty buck...there are too many posts for me to follow but based on the few i have read it seems to be going nowhere at the moment...hopefully they can finally do some actual testing on humans this upcoming year

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    11. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Having a clinical trial on humans next year is not exactly "going nowhere". Of course, they won't be doing it tomorrow. But one year is not that long of a wait for something as significant as this is.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    12. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm saying this as of right now... I hope they do but this thread keeps building up and nothing has happened yet...trust me I am dying for some good news. The second best day in my life besides getting married can't come soon enough lol pretty crazy howIi say that would be the second best thing in life but it definitely is lol

• Like Like x 2
    13. Samir
      Obedient

Samir Manager Staff Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accoustic trauma
      Indeed, progress is slow. I myself only started having this a little more than a year ago. I would imagine that people who have had it for several decades have lost all hope in recovering from this. But back then we didn't have as much research or as many initiatives. Times are changing for the better. The only question is how long we will have to wait. Not too long now, I would hope.

I am sure many of us would agree to that. :)

• Like Like x 2
    14. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Frequency released early this year that they will start clinical trials on humans in 12-18 months, a few months afterwards someone comes telling here that it is going nowhere.

LOL

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Funny Funny x 1
    15. JurgenG
      Approved

JurgenG Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure / headphone accident maybe?
      Indeed, spread some positivity people, try to support these companies!

• Agree Agree x 4
    16. acufenero
      Starving

acufenero Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Maybe he's clairvoyant!

• Funny Funny x 1
    17. Jomo

Jomo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      9/4/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:

taking my post a little out of context but i bet you understood what i meant lol

18. Makrohn
      Supportive

Makrohn Member Benefactor Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss - Explosion - Stress
      Negative people tend to just look at whats going on within research directly linked to tinnitus or hearing loss.
      When in reality, stem cell research and general cell research could very much be something we can benefit from.. not to mention all the drugs being developed for several other conditions. Take cancer research for example, they are getting millions and millions in fundings, and much of this research is cell research. Suddenly someone finds a link and bam, there we are.

I believe, that if Frequency (and others) fail, there will be SOME positive outcome in regards finding a cure. They will learn something from this, one way or the other. I am cheering for them either way, but I would so much want these companies working together towards a cure... A cure would make them filthy rich anyway, with more money to spend in a life time.

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    19. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Gamma secretase inhibitors were tested for Parkinson's, when a side-effect seemed to be hearing restoration.

• Like Like x 4
    20. Berik

Berik Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      • Like Like x 9
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    21. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      Looks like Frequency is branching out to some new areas. Chris Loose presented at the US-Japan Symposium on Drug Delivery Methods yesterday (http://web.mit.edu/langerlab/symposium/Agenda.pdf)

SUNDAY, DECEMBER 17, 2017

MORNING PLENARY SESSION

Discussion Leader: Bruce Zetter

8:00am-8:40am – Christopher Loose

Chief Scientific Officer, Frequency Therapeutics

Progenitor cell activation: A novel disease modifying approach for hearing restoration, alopecia and other
      diseases​

So it looks like they are also working on hair loss. According to this tweet (https://t.co/i5Siyr66SD), muscle restoration was also discussed. Not sure how 3-d printing might fit in to what they are doing. DeSimone also says "Amazing data from Frequency Therapeutics!! The Langer Lab @MIT is a machine!" in a later tweet. It would be interesting to know what data they presented.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2017
      • Informative Informative x 6
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    22. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      Damn straight! And we will, right? It is not hidden from the common man in any way?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    23. Aaron123

Aaron123 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      00/0000
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Irrelevant
      The presentation is not publicly available. Presumably we will see it in one or more papers at some point.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    24. Graig

Graig Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sudden Hearing Loss
      Would this treatment also help with Sudden Hearing Loss? I believe my hearing loss was caused by ototoxic medication but possibly noise induced influence as well. They only mention this for chronic noise induced hearing loss.

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    25. Mortzcent
      Artistic

Mortzcent Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2015?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise exposure
      I am interested about that too, but i guess yes? The drug is supposed to restore hair cells, they might just focus on chronic noise first.

• Like Like x 2
    26. Jim51042

Jim51042 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/28/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone use
      Guys the cells don't know/care how they were damaged/destroyed. If there are dead cells in the cochlea hopefully they will be recreated by this drug.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 3
      • Like Like x 2
    27. Benoves

Tinnitus Since:
      26-9-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not sure about this one, but hope you're right. I think with genetic or ototoxic hearing loss damage is more then only hair cells.

28. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      Do you have ototoxicity?

29. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I am also concerned about the fact that they are only talking about noise-induced hearing loss. I'm interested in ototoxicity. After all, as far as I understand, the damage is similar. I wrote them a letter a second time with this question, but they never answered. And decibel terapeutics is aimed at restoring hearing as a result of ototoxicity?

30. IvanRus

IvanRus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      ototoxicity
      I hope that they will succeed and this will be the first revolution in medicine of the XXI century. I want to believe that their treatment methods will be suitable for many people with noise and hearing loss, not only noise-induced. But ototoxicity and so on. It's not even stem cells yet! Although they have high hopes in the future, until scientists are ready to massively introduce stem cells into therapy. In fact, today there are only two companies in the world that are involved in specific tests - Decibel terapeutics and Frequency terapeutics. Money is not allocated as much as we would like. This, of course, slows down the pace and scope of research. Large philanthropists (Bill Gates, Buffett, Alexander Brin, Ilon Mask and others) do not sacrifice finances in these areas.