Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

Discussion in 'Research News' started by RB2014, Dec 8, 2016.

1. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Hi folks, it would be nice if someone would summarize the updates about Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration in a separate thread.

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. 85dB T
      Malnourished

85dB T Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hello, David007.
      I'm new here. Where or how do I find where a new separate thread would be? Is not this the thread being used for updates or are there others?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RB2014
      Confused

RB2014 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014 became noticable
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loss of hearing and then stress and anxiety
      The moderators don't want multiple threads for the same topic and will close the new one down if we add another one. If there is something specific you are looking for try doing a search. We try to keep the threads on topic to make them easier for people to find information. thanks.

• Like Like x 4
    4. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the xenforo's forums search feature has flaws. I can search for an exact keyword I posted and not find it sometimes.

5. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      Has anybody here been accepted into the San Antonio trials? If so, please PM me!

• Good Question Good Question x 3
    6. Enclave

Enclave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Meh
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meh
      • Like Like x 8
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    7. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. David077
      Creative

David077 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      stress, benzo/clonozepam + clonidine, maybe infection
      Hi Jake,
      Yes this thread used for updates, but also for discussions.

Ok, but 90%+ of this thread is discussions and it's little difficult to see "pure" updates information, especially for those with ADHD/ADD.

• Agree Agree x 3
    9. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Your best bet is to Google "Frequency Therapeutics."

• Agree Agree x 1
    10. streeter1985
      Studious

streeter1985 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss (stress + virus activation)
      @David077 most things here are discussions and interpretations of official news/announcements of Frequency Therapeutics. Dont get me wrong but concerning interpretations/bias/hopes from other users (I of course include myself here) a summary of one person might not be helpful to you or deliver you the correct/current content and view on the whole situation.

So I think you should look up some official news about the company itself and then come back and track that thread for a while and you will see that most things are not for 100% set in stone and that many questions will be discussed a few times. Thats what I did a few months ago.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Enclave

Enclave Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Meh
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meh
      • Informative Informative x 4
      • Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
    12. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      You can't even copy-paste from that article. Never seen that before. He says in a roundabout sort of way that they will be measuring hearing but hearing improvement is not a goal of the study. I take that to mean that they can keep those results to themselves. Commercial reasons probably. I've kind of decided that- brilliant though they may be- I don't like these people very much.

13. NatureHiker
      Angelic

NatureHiker Member

Just saw that the Co-founder of Frequency Therapeutics about tinnitus and hearing loss on Reddit today:

reddit-fq-tx.png

• Informative Informative x 7
      • Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    14. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Frequency Therapeutics' researcher "most likely" William McLean on Reddit stated that cochlear hair cell regeneration should reduce tinnitus if tinnitus is related to hair cell death. This is exciting!

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
      • Like Like x 4
      • Friendly Friendly x 2
    15. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Sounds like common sense to me.

• Agree Agree x 4
    16. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I know right, but the ATA never publicly suggested cochlear hair cell regeneration
      but nor have they said anything against it.

• Informative Informative x 2
    17. Flamingo1

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I think more illuminating are his quotes regarding the link between high frequency hearing loss undetected by standard hearing tests and tinnitus.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      the same thing i do, annoy people on the forum by telling them there ENT is wrong about hearing loss.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    19. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Because people are taught to believe that they are stupid and only people with degrees and badges of authority are allowed to use their minds. Of course this is a dumbass lie. This is nothing new. This is how the powers that be have always controlled people's minds.

• Agree Agree x 2
    20. Contrast
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      I don't have that mindset, nor encourage it. I would be more then happy if an actual phD researcher came here and corrected my errors. (speculation, early on post I made, and things I misunderstood,over simplified or outright got wrong)

I'm a college drop out suffering from hearing problems and actual mental problems, I'm not a researcher, PHD

I'm just curious to what the mechanism of tinnitus are and I am trying to understand them, I do not hold any believes or even hypothesis about the mechanism's of tinnitus that haven't already been suggested by actual researchers and whenever I make a post about research I link the source.

I know I get a bit edgy about Auris Medical's semi-peripheral tinnitus model which I believe is wrong and my frustration that hidden hearing loss being ignored by ENT's, I'm just hoping in the long run this website has researchers updating us on discoveries and a faq section which mechanisms of tinnitus, hyperacusis, hearing loss, vestibular issues are broke down into laymens terms. So everyone and myself can have a clearer picture.

I just can't stand it when we get post like "nobody knows anything about tinnitus and a treatment is 100 years away BS" that's probably not the case.Some of the community is more pessimistic then actual researchers are.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 3
      • Genius Genius x 1
    21. Street Novelist
      Depressed

Street Novelist Member

Tinnitus Since:
      February 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Listening to loud music through headphones
      I personally believe the cause of tinnitus for the majority of people is hearing loss due to damage to the inner ear hair cells. Regrow those, get your hearing completely recovered, and the tinnitus should go away.

• Agree Agree x 8
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 2
    22. Ken.Oh

Ken.Oh Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      hello. i've gone back a few pages and also done some other internet research and this seems like a reputable company with intelligent people behind it doing positive things which should make people hopeful. but the tone of this thread seems...i dunno...melancholy? am i missing something or did the thread just get a bit derailed at some point?

23. d'Wooluf

d'Wooluf Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      I think hope is not good enough for some people, especially when they feel that they are at the end of their tether. They're looking for certainty, and they can't find it in a drug which is still in early stage clinical trial. So they keep poring over the tea leaves, analysing every bit of news. It probably gets fatiguing after a while, and morale starts to slide.

I don't know if some of what I say comes across as melancholy. Maybe. Anyway, I was told by an ENT many years ago that there would never ever be a cure for sensironeural hearing loss, so learn lip-reading and get used to it (not as bluntly as that, but close). So it's still amazing to me that we are where we are right now. It's given me some hope for sure.

• Agree Agree x 7
    24. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I could be wrong for sure. But I have hope that something will come soon.

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    25. grate_biff
      In pain

grate_biff Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma using headphones
      I wouldnt go by what these ENT´s claim. I met many of them and they seem clueless about inner ear research knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 7
    26. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've also spoken with a couple of ENTs and I told them about FrequencyTx and they had no knowledge of them or what they are doing. One of them even seemed to scoff at the notion. I would think that these people would be staying abreast of current technology. They seem more like salesmen than physicians that are seeking cures. Just like so called teachers that are just there to deliver information and administer standardized tests instead of trying to connect with their students and help bridge the gaps to knowledge.

• Agree Agree x 5
    27. dpdx
      Disappointed

dpdx Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset:09/23/2017 Worsened: 1/17/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma, worsened by caloric test/VEMP test 90db nhL
      Cant wait for this to come out so this hell can stop. Torture 24/7.

• Agree Agree x 6
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    28. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      He says it should reduce. Aka "maybe it will be better". He doesn't say anything new and he sounds like he doesn't know more about tinnitus than we do.

In his post he says he has his own thinking = theory about what tinnitus is. Again noone understands truly that thing in 2018.

Moreover, most of us are convinced their T is due to hair cell destruction following an audio trauma. Well, this is my case, but I have read a lot about the whole audio circuit from ear to brain and I am also convinced that the majority of people on earth also have hearing loss, even sudden one during concerts, and they don't have tinnitus, so T is not only due to hair cells loss otherwise everyone would have a tinnitus. There is something wrong somewhere else for us, like in the limbic system (part of the frontal lobe of the brain). Regrowing the hair cells will certainly help having our T smaller but there may be a better place to focus to fix the issue and resolve the whole thing.

Again, I think everyone here should at least take 18 minutes to listen to this TEDx video to understand further why tinnitus is more complex than simple "hair cell death":
      Tinnitus: Ringing in the Brain | Josef...

It is certainly the most interesting video about tinnitus in 10 years.

edit: erf, I don't want to "spam" with an embedded video, I just wanted to post a link but I can't find a way to simply leave a link without the forum to insert the video.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    29. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Dr. Robert Aaron Levine's Tinnitus Tutorial
      "This narrated presentation explains our current understanding about:
      1. why the 2 major causes of tinnitus are hearing loss and problems with the muscles of the head and neck
      2. why hearing loss and problems with the muscles of the head and neck sometimes DO and sometimes DO NOT cause tinnitus, and
      3. treatments, proven by well-designed studies, are suggested based upon our theory"
      „We have decreased activity in the cochlear, that results in decreased activity in the auditory nerve and that results in decreased activity in the Ventral Cochlear Nucleus. But paradoxically the Dorsal Cochlear Nucleus develops increased activity due to the decreased activity coming in from the auditory nerve.“
      So maybe treating hearing loss could actually treat one of the causes of tinnitus (if someone's tinnitus is also due to hearing loss). Increasing GABA could also help to suppress tinnitus but that would treat the symptoms rather than the cause. No need to suppress the hyperactivity within the brain with GABA if you can treat the cause of the hyperactivity. But I personally don't need a cure, I'd welcome any reduction in volume.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
      • Informative Informative x 1
    30. Ozwel
      Curious

Ozwel Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2005 (I was 19)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Auditive trauma
      Then how do you explain that most people with hear loss don’t have tinnitus?

Repairing the ear is one fix possibility but it remains a temporary trick until you lose ear cells again.

The real source of the problem remains somewhere else.