Friends Listening to Loud Music, Yet They Don't Get Tinnitus?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Good Times, Jul 6, 2018.

1. Good Times

Good Times Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So what always baffled me is how 90% of my friends listen to extraordinary loud music every single day and don’t get tinnitus. I always have to bring ear plugs for when I’m in the car with them. How come when I actively protect my hearing and never listen to loud music get tinnitus but they don’t? My dad has gone to multiple heavy metal rock concerts and doesn’t wear ear plugs when we ride motorcycles together and he doesn’t complain about ringing either. Why is this the case?

2. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      Because bodies react differently to stimuli, and therefore we cannot talk in absolutes, just in probabilities and statistics.

It is similar to smoking: you can smoke 3 packs a day for decades and not get lung cancer while there are people who don't smoke who get it. Your behavior can affect probabilities, but there are no guarantees unfortunately.

3. RingerBell

RingerBell Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise
    4. Honkymagoo

Honkymagoo Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Maybe they do it will eventually. Tinnitus can be from a single trauma or repeated exposure over time. I used to listen to loud music a lot too and here I am.

5. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Everyone is different but a lot of it has to do with incideous damage. They might get away with it for x amount of years and then one day when they are a bit older they go do what they always have one time only its the straw that breaks the camels back. I believe most of my damage was done over the course of 10 years in my work environment. It was damage that i didn't notice but then i went into an environment that a healthy persons hearing would be able to bounce back from only for me it didnt.