Frustrated!

Discussion in 'Support' started by demi, May 28, 2014.

1. demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      My apartment buildings walls are so thin, and this morning I was laying on my futon that is a couple feet away from my front door when I guess my neighbors were fighting. One of them opened the door and slammed it shut yelling, and then his gf/wife opened it back up shouted something and slammed it as hard and loud as she could.

I have both H&T, and both are going wild now. My ears are full and achey, and my T is loud and the tones are going all over the place. Just my luck too since I'm going to see an audiologist today to get my LDLs tested and now I don't even want to leave my room.

• Hug Hug x 11
    2. Ugh, so sorry Demi. I don't blame you for not wanting to go.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @Street Spirit I'm sitting here crying, I just don't understand how I can be so unlucky. I am scared that my T is going to get worse now and I'm just in so much pain.

• Hug Hug x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Like the sound of them slamming the door would of caused even someone without H pain.

• Hug Hug x 1
    5. I completely understand. This deal sucks and it's crap like that, that makes it tougher. Try to relax. Maybe take a hot bath. Can you reschedule your appt for next week? If it were me, that is what I would do.

My t has been louder lately as well along with all these different sounds. I think h affects it. Stress always makes it worse as I'm sure your know. I've been where you are. I've had so many noise incidents since the beginning and usually everything stayed the same..setbacks but improvements.

I think you will be o.k. hang in there, we take it one day at a time.

*hugs*

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @Street Spirit <3 Thank you, I will try to relax.

Sadly though my appointment is in less than an hour, so I think I will just be going. Wish me luck.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Ah, OK. Just make sure if you're not comfortable then don't do the test. It's a hard enough test to so without experiencing what you did this morning. Well for me anyways, it gave me anxiety but that is natural for us I think. Just tell them to go slow.

The audiologist I saw was great, she let me have a cry and talk before preceeding with the tests and then she was very careful when she administered them.

Good luck!

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Leah

Leah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      T is so hard to live with my own household and neighborhood noise, forgot that some do share other families noises. HUGS!!

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. tomytl
      Grumpy

tomytl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10 Years
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hi Demi,

I had severe H&T in 2003, it took almost 2-3 years until it decreased.
      The doctor said once to me: "it will take 3 years until your brain will balance it out"
      My reaction was like "what?!?!...3 years....."
      But at least he was right, H went 90% away... ofcourse I couldn't stand very loud noise, but
      normal traffic was ok.

What I did: I listened for hours music at a very low level over headphones. I guess this helped
      my brain...

I also went swimming, the sound of water (also under water) was very good for my ears.

I just want you to know, that Hyperacusis can really go back to a normal level!
      And mine was really terrible, every bird song was like a pin in the head.

All the best! Keep strong!
      Tom

• Like Like x 4
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    10. jewellanne1010

jewellanne1010 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1999
      Stay strong u r in my prayers

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      So I guess I will bring back a report of what happened at my appointment today. My doctor said my LDLs are mid 60's-right below 70. She wants me to try doing some sound enrichment on my own first, and then come the end of August if I am not doing any better then we will start TRT.

The doctor did tell me a hopeful story of a current patient of hers who has climbed the LDL ladder from 35-40LDLs to almost 90 in a matter of 5-6months without doing TRT. so I am trying to stay hopeful. I did a lot of crying today and my ears/head are still in a lot of pain and my T is still going crazy (louder than usual and lots of weird tones). But I think the testing just hurt my ears a little more since they were already doing bad since the morning.

• Hug Hug x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. WestCoastGirl85
      Buzzed

WestCoastGirl85 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      September 2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxic ear drops getting into inner ear canal
      @demi I know how you feel about thinking your T will change from sudden noises. At work there is a room where if someone needs help they push a button and it makes a very high pitched ding. The only time customers push that button are when no one is around, some even see me standing right there and still ding it. Some even let their kids push the button over and over and i tell them to stop and their parents get mad at me.. When people do that my T goes up for the rest of the day, but then it settles down the next day. I hate it

• Winner Winner x 1
    13. raymundo2245

raymundo2245 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3/10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Oh my God! I hope it goes away quick, are you following any kind of treatment? How did you get your T?

14. Hey Demi, sounds like you got a good plan in place :) My ldls were low like that too when tested and I increased mine on my own as well.

Hang in there.

• Hug Hug x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      Things out of control keep happening to me and I have no idea what to do anymore.

About a half hour ago I was sitting with my boyfriend getting ready for bed and a loud explosion outside went off. I had no idea what it was. I asked my bf if it was a gun shot and he said if it was a bazooka then yes, and then it happened for a second time. It must of been a firework of some sort. At 12:30 at night.

Who knows how many dbs it was. My whole right side of my face is numb and burns. My hearing is muffled out of my right ear too. T is very loud. I can't relax. I am so afraid what that did to make things worse now.

• Hug Hug x 3
    16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      update: one of my neighbors believe kids were setting off dynamite in the alley. Definitely was louder than an m80.

• Hug Hug x 1
    17. Peter61

Peter61 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      I've had noise induced T&H since August 2012. My advice: Look after yourself (healthy diet, sufficient sleep, physical exercise etc.). Do things that you like, so you'll be distracted and it'll be easier to forget about it. Don't let negativity rule and take over your life. It's a matter of choice really, as I see it. I've decided to accept my T. It's a fundamental part of my life now, period paragraph. And as for the H: When I go outdoors, I make sure I have my custom made earplugs with me, so when needed, I just put them in, feeling protected and comfortable. T&H do change your life, they reduce the quality of life for sure. But there's still more than enough to live for. So I'll just make the best of what's still around and focus on the good things that can still make me happy. Dealing with T&H is basically a mindset. With a positive mindset you can do it, believe me.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. LeQuack
      Gloomy

LeQuack Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad genes
      I'm sorry, something similar happened to me as well a few months ago. People who don't have this have no regard for the pain and stress that loud noise causes us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    19. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      I've noticed you've had T since 12/2012. Have you lived in this apartment since 2012?

20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      demi
      No Mood

demi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2012
      @Jay M no, I moved here last summer and my T wasn't bothersome until the end of November when I had a spike. Then H came in January.

21. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Demi, so sorry to hear you are suffering!!:( Glad you posted, and hope you are receiving the support you are getting here!! These setbacks suck!! But they are OUT of your control, and there are things IN your control. Try not to snowball and let anxiety make things worse! Get stabilized, stick to the treatment plan (you're doing great!) and try to focus and relax (I know, easier said than done!). You are going to get through this!! I have seen you here on TT get through other rough times and you have always prevailed!! (y) Peter has some solid encouragement for you!!

Take care Demi!!! :)

22. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @demi you might have mentionned it but I'm new around here...what caused your last spike?

23. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      thinking of you demi! don't give up!! it will get better xx

24. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      It's possible that your pre-existing low T is being bothered by allergens in your place. Your time line is consistent with a possible allergic reaction and allergies can increase some ones T levels. Apartments can be notorious for dustmites and cockroaches and you might be allergic to one or both or something else. The AC duct work never gets cleaned in apartments so you could be living in and inhaling all sorts of stuff that you may be allergic too. Do you know if you have allergies? If yes, have they become worse since you moved in last summer? Regardless, you should see an Allergist and get tested to see if you're allergic to certain foods, pollens and insects.

25. clare hart

clare hart Member

Tinnitus Since:
      When sudden noises, loud or not, occur expecially as I am going to sleep, it is like lightning through my brain. I have learned that I can get rid of this immediately through mind set and relaxation. Acceptance is so important for me. Still, it is jarring and unnerving at the moemnt.

Habituation is the real keyword and it does take some time. I know I was frightened, sick, and stuck in self-pity for a year or two. Finding this forum was an immense help. Very valuable to share and learn from each other.

I do have one question though Demi. Is it possible you could move to a quieter place? Like one with more senior citizens and a more stable atmosphere? Of course you can't always know ahead of time, but you can talk to building managers, neighbors, etc., and that might give you an idea. Just a thought. I know moving is a PITA and not always possible, but it seems worth considering.

26. quietatnight
      Frustrated

quietatnight Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma / firecracker
      Demi

I read your problem that you and your BF had with the idiots in the alley setting off fire the works. I had the same problem over my be too. Its the same thing every year. People just use this time of year as an accuse to spend as much money as they can on useless fireworks, the louder the better with no respect for anyone but themselves. I just heard a couple go off still tonight about an hour ago, and its almost Aug. What a bunch of fools. I hope you were Ok. I don't even leave my home 3 days before and 3 days after the 4th og July. I let the crazy's blow there brains out.

Louie
      Quietatnight

• Agree Agree x 1
    27. Sean

Sean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01-01-2011
      Demi - I had similar things happend to me . I am pretty sure T will settle down soon .