Gah! I Seem to Have Got a New Tone Added to My Reactive Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by Raphael7713, Sep 12, 2017.

1. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      So to cut it short; I've had tinnitus (reactive tinnitus) on and off since January. My reactive tinnitus has always been a distant whissle type of sound.

This Saturday when I was on my balcony smoking I noticed a "duuuuuu" darker signal type of sound. At first I thought it was coming from somewhere. There is a building like 150 meters away from my apartment that leaves the exact same sound. So I first thought it was earworm (sound got stuck in my head). When I went inside the sound would stop. A few hours later I was going out to meet a couple of friends and I notice the sound is there and following me and it would disappear the second we went inside somewhere. When we stepped out the sound would back back directly.

But now as 2-3 days has passed on I notice it's still there and gets triggered by external sounds. External sounds that didn't trigger my "original" reactive tinnitus. Like the tv, or when someone is using the shower at home and Im passing by the sound would appear, but not when I take a shower.

What can be triggering this? I haven't used earphones in 100 years, I don't go to pubs or loud places anymore.
      Anyone has an idea?

And I still have the original whissling sound which is stronger.

2. Kolisar
      No Mood

Kolisar Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      birth?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      @Raphael7713 , unfortunately, tinnitus can change. It is infuriating, especially after you have at least come to terms with what you are experiencing to have a new element added, but it does happen.

As for what triggered it, some believe that smoking and drinking can exacerbate tinnitus. I have not read any scientific literature confirming those ideas, but I have seen them posted enough on this forum to suggest that you consider doing some research.

It is good that you do not use earphones (and having not used them of 100 years is impressive, not only in the fact that you may have had access to the technology long before it was invented, but in your apparent longevity as well, being old enough to have not used them in 100 years, and of course, your access to time travel as the earliest reference to anything close to earphones dates back to the 1920's so they have not yet been around for 100 years, so you must be writing from the future, and if you are, would you be so kind as to look up and private message me the the next winning powerball numbers? ;) ).

@Michael Leigh wrote a great post on the dangers of headphones https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/headphones-and-tinnitus.12062/ that, like all of his targets posts, are well worth the time to read.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      My problems is more the REACTIVE tinnitus. My normal tinnitus doesnt bother me at all. It can only be heard in silence and is easily masked. It's this bullshit RT that drives me to insanity.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Michellejean

Michellejean Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/1/18
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Virus/ no clue
      @Raphael7713 I’m struggling with reactive tinnitus right now. Could you hear your reactive tinnitus in all environments with sound? Like tv on, driving in a car, or taking a walk? I read your success story and I am so happy for you️‍♂️