General TTTS Advice?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Jorboar, Jul 10, 2017.

1. Jorboar

Jorboar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 17, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      I semi-recently came across TTTS and realized that it far more accurately describes my symptoms than hyperacusis does (not an official diagnosis, audiologists in my area haven't even heard of the condition and have been more harmful to me in the past than helpful). I can feel my tensor tympani involuntarily flexing in response to most noise (especially sudden and surprising sounds, white/constant noise is far easier to handle) and I've never experienced immediate pain in response to sound. All the pain I experience is fairly random and not exclusive to just my ears. Throughout the day, I'll just have occasional sharp and/or dull bursts in my ears, temples, and sometimes just kind of generally about my face regardless of the noise environment I'm in while it's occurring, which further suggests to me TTTS because I imagine it's basically my tensor tympani being sore from overuse.

Since this realization I stopped wearing earplugs whenever I'd go in public unless in anything particularly uncomfortable or above 85dbs, and just generally am trying to get rid of the phonophobia I've had for so long. Listening to music has gotten quite a bit more comfortable for me and I even was able to play live with amps and a drumset for an hour using both earplugs and noise cancelling headphones. Also, in the past when I would clip my nails, the sound it produces would always make my tensor tympani flex, which is something that no longer happens.

All of this has occurred over the past month and these seem to be tangible improvements. I am however still frustrated with how involuntary my tensor tympani tensing up can be and still have significant symptoms. To my understanding, this isn't exactly something that can or will go away in just a month, so maybe I'm just being impatient. Has anyone here had any sort of success with TTTS and can offer some generalized advice in terms of coping/treatment? I'm able to find little online and find myself just reading the same information over and over. Also does what I describe sound like purely TTTS? Or could there still be elements of hyperacusis here as well? Thanks a bunch!

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Since your tinnitus was originally caused by noise exposure, you haven't mentioned whether you've had any treatment at ENT or been referred to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist for your tinnitus and hyperacusis? If this is the case, this could be the reason your symptoms haven't improved. Furthermore, being around loud sounds (playing live music and drums) isn't good for someone that has tinnitus and hyperacusis. TTTS is not common condition. I believe it's your tinnitus and hypercusis that giving you the problems and not so much TTTS. It might be a good idea to get some tests done at ENT and a referral to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist that practice treatment and management for tinnitus and hyperacusis.

Please click on the links below and read my articles that you might find helpful. Tinnitus, A Personal View and Hyperacusis, As I see It.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/hyperacusis-as-i-see-it.19174/

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Jorboar

Jorboar Member

Tinnitus Since:
      August 17, 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure
      When I was playing live music I used a decibel meter and found that the volume would peak at 115db. I wore both foam earplugs and noise cancelling headphones, each of which have a NRR of 32db. I know scientifically that the two NRRs in that situation don't necessarily stack to 64db of protection, but I do remember reading they offered about 41db when used together, which would put me at around 70-80db of exposure at the most. I'm really only uncomfortable with sounds above 85db at this point, so should I really be concerned about playing live music when I'm that well protected? Especially when doing so didn't cause me any immediate or additional pain? It's also worth mentioning that this isn't something I'm doing that frequently. I have seen audiologists as well as an ENT in the past, and they all basically advised me to not use earplugs unless I'm in situations that would normally call for them. My symptoms are still present, but have improved to a noticeable degree after doing this. Anything above 60db use to be too much for me.