Genetic Predisposition for Tinnitus with rs1800795 Gene

Discussion in 'Research News' started by lymebite, Jan 5, 2016.

tinnitus forum
    1. lymebite
      Breezy

lymebite Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Interesting new research study finds a genetic predisposition for tinnitus among people exposed to occupational noise:

http://www.noiseandhealth.org/artic...me=17;issue=79;spage=406;epage=410;aulast=Doi

If you have had your DNA sequenced with 23andme or another provider, you can look up and see which which variation of the gene analyzed in this study you carry. The gene in question is:

rs1800795

I have genotype GG. For those who have had their DNA sequenced, would be interesting to hear which genotype others have.

• Like Like x 2
    2. I have GC. This table provides a good summary:

NoiseHealth_2015_17_79_406_169703_t2.jpg

It seems strange to me that 25% (44/177) of those with the C allele but without a history of noise exposure have tinnitus while only 7% (2/29)of those with the C allele and with a history of noise exposure have tinnitus. I would expect noise exposure to increase the odds of tinnitus. Taken at face value, those with the C allele should expose themselves to more noise. Looks like they need a larger sample size.

• Like Like x 1
    3. Markku
      Inspired

Markku Director Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame Team Trobalt Team Tech Team Awareness Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Syringing
      I have CG.

4. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/09/2013
      How much does it cost to get this tested? Worth it?

5. lymebite
      Breezy

lymebite Member Benefactor Team Research

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      The price can vary by country and which company you use. I live in the United States and did it with 23andme. It cost US$99. I find the results interesting but so far not life-changing in any way.

• Like Like x 1