Glad to Have Found This Site

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Les Littleton, Apr 8, 2015.

1. Les Littleton
      Happy

Les Littleton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much loud music
      Hi all.

New to this so may be a bit short. My name is Les and i reside in Ashford, Kent, UK.

I have had tinnitus since mid 1980. Cause of it? I would imagine over exposure to loud music right up until five or six years ago . It's got progressively worse. Its that bad i can here it over the noise of my motor bike and even when i listen to music on earphones it spoils my listening experience :arghh:.

Any advice would be most welcome.

Les

2. Cymro41
      Gloomy

Cymro41 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      I too suffer with loud tinnitus Les. It's quite a common complaint. But you do get used to it. You'll get there in the end. Try some masking therapies. You never know research could come up with something soon.

Gareth.

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome Les. You are like an old soldier in the battle with T. The positive is that you have learned to live with your T for so long, you will just do fine to habituate to the new level given time. If you need masking, there are some good sound tracks on this TT thread.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/panic/

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Les Littleton
      Happy

Les Littleton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much loud music
      Hi Cymro41.

Yeah i've learnt too live with it over the years. Some days are worse than others. Hopefully someone somewhere will come up with something. Thanks for replying to my post.

Hi Billie.

An old soldier indeed :). And you know what? Some of those audio tracks definitely work for me (y).

Thanks for replying to my post. Thank you both.

Les

5. Crazeefiend
      Wishful

Crazeefiend Member

Tinnitus Since:
      3rd March 2015
      Hey les, welcome to forums! Sorry it's loud and you've had it for awhile. You came to correct place! I've joined recently. I'm not much help just want people to feel welcome :)

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Les Littleton
      Happy

Les Littleton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much loud music
      Hi Crazeefiend.

Thanks for the reply. You say your not much help. You are..moral support my friend (y)

Les

• Like Like x 1
    7. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Hi Les,

My name is also Les! Leslie in full. (Sailboardman in Avatar form) Comes from windsurfing for over 20 years. Love those, 20-30 knot epic days!

I have to give you credit for dealing with T so long! I've had it for almost one year and still can't get a grip on it totally. I have my up and down days, but remain hopeful and resolved in living a normal life again, like so many other T veterans here.

You could probably teach us a thing or two, about long term management techniques and how you have handled life, over the years with T?

Please give us, your pearls of wisdom, on your long journey.

God bless,

Les (AKA, Sailboardman)

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Les Littleton
      Happy

Les Littleton Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/1980
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Too much loud music
      Hi Les (Sailboardman)

Pleasure to meet you.

I don't know if you can teach people how to deal with tinnitus to be honest. I went to an audiologist many years ago and thought it a waste of time. When i first realized i had tinnitus i found it very disconcerting and difficult to deal with. But, as the years went by and after doing a great deal of researching, and also understanding it was not life threatening and also not curable i just accepted it as an extension to me and that it was going to be with me for the rest of my life. Having got that thought instilled in me i find i get by in life without hardly ever thinking about it. I tend to focus on the noise that surrounds me in whatever environment i find myself in. It works ninety nine per cent of the time. I notice it more at night when i go to bed. So to try and counter that i started listening to music on earphones. Worked for quite awhile but now i'm finding the music is aggravating the tinnitus and makes it louder. So not quite sure what to do there. All i can really say is try to learn to live with it as i have. Yes i find occassionally it irritates me but them episodes are few and far between. Hopefully, one day, in my lifetime someone will come up with a cure. Fingers crossed eh!!

Take care
      Les

9. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Les, if you find the music kind of aggravating the tinnitus, perhaps you have some mild hyperacusis, which sometimes lead people to think their T is reacting to sound. You may want to check out the hyperacusis forum on TT so see if you have similar symptoms to those who have hyperacusis. I used to have H besides my T and I found the same problem you feel now. But the H slowly fade away. This seems to be the case for a lot of people who develop H after T, or after T increase the loudness.

10. angrynana96

angrynana96 Member

W

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Trobalt for tinnitus and keppra for hyperacusis, simples see?

12. geg1992
      English

geg1992 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure + Antibiotics
      Hi Les,

Welcome to the forum, you will get plenty of support here! :)

Just out of interest, over the years you've had it, have you been protecting your ears much? Or just getting on with life as usual?

13. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Thanks Les,

I'm only 12 months in and have low days and screamers! Everyone says, around the 2 year mark, T reaches a baseline. Mine unfortunately, reacts to everything now. I never know what the day will bring? Kinda, Tinnitus Du Jour!

Cheers mate,

Les