Going a Little Nuts! Was Very Happy to Find This Site This Morning.

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by aqualife76, Feb 20, 2016.

1. aqualife76
      Depressed

aqualife76 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown
      Hello,
      Chris here, 40 yrs old, ringing started about 7 days ago. The problem I am having is that I have always suffered from depression and anxiety, but have been dealing with it for many years through meditation. However, this first week has obliterated my concentration, decreased my appetite, and sent me down a very dark hole. For the first time in my life I have had to embrace medication, it has been very hard, I am taking .5 mg Xanax for the last four days and it has helped. Am considering Zoloft, but am anxious due to some of the things I've read. Are there better options in the SSRI department?? Sleep in the biggest factor, I have had trouble sleeping since I was a child, I usually get between 3-5 hours a night on a good night, so the added T is extremely distressing. generally, I can manage during the day, but I tried to go with no Xanax last night and thus have not slept for over 24 hours. I have an appointment with a Counselor on Monday to discuss CBT and and ENT Tuesday just to cover my bases. Any advice for a newbie to this world of T would be fantastic. Thanks in advance.

• Hug Hug x 2
    2. Andrew Bailey
      Balanced

Andrew Bailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise damage - caused by a power tool.
      Hello Chris,
      Sorry to here you have tinnitus on top of your depression! that's just what you don't need. Tinnitus is a bug bare There's no doubt about that! you must always be positive, and font let it rule your life, it's only a problem when you don't cope with it. With time you will get accustomed to it, and habituation is a natural progression for us but it takes time to get used with it. It's still early days for you but take what ever meds you need to get you through for now! because further down the line you'll not need them. Two two main things to coping with T is getting a good nights sleep! and keeping your mind busy, that way your focus is shifted on to other things.
      I know all about the T, I've been in the depths of despair with it, back in 1990 when I got it I was almost on my knees, but 26 years down the line, I can't say it's a bother now, it's still as loud now as it was back then, but I'm much less aware of it now, it's neither got better nor worse over all these years, the differance is being used to it no, Habituated! and you will be too after a little while. For me the first year to eighteen months were the worst! that was mainly because I was having trouble sleeping, when your able to sleep you can cope with almost anything! it's differcult to cope with anything troubling when your constantly tired.
      Take care, work on getting sleep at night.
      Best wishes,
      Andrew Bailey

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Andew has given great advice from his experience. He knows what he is talking about as he walks the talk with T. I have less years than him but like everyone else, I suffered much during the initial phase. A few years back my ultra high pitch T plus severe hyperacusis just turned me into a mess mentally and physically. I also had suffered from decades of anxiety and panic disorder, with depression mixed in there. Also suffered from PTSD due to the sudden tragic loss of my young 5-year old son. So my mental capacity was too weak to take on T & H a few years back and I was literally overwhelmed. Life was dark and bleak, full of despair and suffering. I never thought I would recover. But never say never. Today I live a normal and absolutely enjoyable life. So never give up the hope. I wrote my success story on TT like others did. I list many helpful points and strategies to help me turn around. Try to read the success stories to learn people's insight on getting better and copy their success. Besides mine, I also list the most read success story by IWLM which has brought silence to him after 40 years, and his method is simple and effective. Take care & God bless.

My story:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/thread...w-i-recovered-from-tinnitus-hyperacusis.3148/

The most read success story ‘Back to Silence’ with a simple effective strategy by IWLM:
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/back-to-silence.7172/

4. Andrew Bailey
      Balanced

Andrew Bailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi Karen,
      I'm very sorry to hear about all the sadness you've had in your life! can't imagine how that must be for you having lost a five year old child. You like me and lots of people on this forum are strong mentally, and you and I both know that that is a key factor in our coping and getting happiness back in our lives. I have a great life especially I ally now I'm retired (2 years) now, I was a builder, but both myself and I are now able to do as we please within reason ofcourse, I've never been happier than I am now. I fill my time with 7 mile walks every day! and reading. It's strange how in the beginning we all struggle to cope, but it's amazing gradually how we adjust to the T.
      My own T is very loud in both ears but it's a hissing noise, it doesn't change pitch or volume but your is higher pitch Karen, that must have been ever harder to habituate to. I also have H but it's not too severe, unless I drop a pan or a knife on the tile floor, where I want to hit the roof, other than that it's not too bad. I'm 59 now and thank god I don't have to work.
      Back in 1990 when I got this T this forum wasn't available ofcourse! but I was put in touch with a local support group and i found it a comfort then to know I wasn't the only one suffering, this forum does the same thing for people who like us are trying to get their heads around what's happened to them. I'm sure like us, they will find a way to cope, time makes a huge differance! but it does with anything I guess.

5. Andrew Bailey
      Balanced

Andrew Bailey Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm gonna have to get this spell check sorted!

6. AnxiousJon
      Magical

AnxiousJon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety, Insomnia, and a Fan at Night
      In the short-term relief/benzodiazepine department, I recommend Klonopin(Clonazepam) to replace the Xanax. In my limited understand and experience, I understand Xanax to be more effective for panic attacks, but Klonopin stays in the system much longer. People seem to have panicky flashbacks with Xanax, and it is harder to taper off of it, because you have to be more accurate, and the cravings come on harder and stronger, since it leaves your system faster. With benzodiazepines, always take as little as is effective(I took .25mg/250mcg a day of klonopin[very low dose]), and once you get past a week of taking it, do some kind of taper when you quit(ask doctor).

As I think you can tell, the goal is to get off of benzos and onto an fully functioning SSRI or other A.D.(Or there are serotonin-boosting supplements instead, but taking them with SSRIs can be life-threatening).

Paxil is amazing for me, although I'm glad I was taking benzos at the same time, because Paxil made me more anxious until it kicked-in 3 weeks later. 3 months into my med journey, I am almost completely weaned off of Klonopin, and Paxil is making me feel better than I have my whole life(undiagnosed, life-long severe anxiety[no depression]). NP started me at a starting dose of 10mg, then upped it to 20mg once I adjusted to it. I have no drowsiness or other side effects.
      Glad I'll still have a reserve of Klonopin in case I get a panic attack somewhere down the road, even though I don't anticipate having those anymore.

I hope things go as well for you as they have for me. Having a doctor or nurse-practitioner that is savvy with these meds is a big plus.

Also, welcome to the forum.