Going on an Airplane?!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Roseanna H, May 10, 2017.

1. Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Hey guys,
      needing a little help here, not sure what to do.

I have hyperacusis and tinnitus (for just over a year now). Its a terrible thing but i am adapting to it. My ears are still very sensitive, i still wear earplugs at work, and I don't go to cinemas/concerts; trying to be careful with my ears now.

An opportunity has popped up to fly over to America, to stay with some family friends. I've never been to America before and it does seems exciting. I've also never been on a plane before so it would be completely new. I would love to go, as i don't know when something like this would happen again.

But I know i have to think about my ears and I don't want to risk making my tinnitus and hyperacusis worse.

What do you guys think? Is it loud on an air plane, decibel wise? Has anyone else with tinnitus, hyperacusis ever been on an air plane since its happened?

Be great if i could have some opinions :)

2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Check out the following recent thread
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/noise-cancelling-headphones-on-intercontinental-flight.20021/

I am still not sure whether going on a plane is safe for me. This is mostly because I will need to fly on a turboprop plane. Jet engine planes are quieter. Also, they use newer planes to fly across the ocean, and newer planes are quieter. I think it should be safe for you to make this trip, as long as you protect your ears - earmuffs over (possibly customized) earplugs, which you may want to interchange with noise cancelling headphones. I will also want to pay to choose your seat - choose an isle seat towards the front of the plane.

What state in America are you considering to be traveling to?

3. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      By the way, if you search this site, you will see a number of people reporting that they fly regularly, and that it hasn't had an impact on their T. Having said this, there are a handful of people saying their T got worse after a flight. I believe they haven't been wearing ear protection like muffs or noise cancelling headphones. Also, you may want to insert the earplugs only after the plane reaches its cruising altitude (when the seat sign is off). Don't forget to take them out as the plane begins to descent.

• Like Like x 2
    4. vermillion
      Whistles

vermillion Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Fluconazole
      Is it dangerous to wear plugs during takeoff and landing?

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I did it (before the onset of T), and had no problems. Others on this site wrote that they did it and were fine. But theoretically, wearing plugs would interfere with your body equalizing the pressure, and so some sensitive people may experience problems.

• Like Like x 1
    6. Julien87
      Not amused

Julien87 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure (concert)
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure at a concert
      Hello, I am 14 years old and I have tinnitus and mild Eustachian tube dysfunction. I booked at 24 hour flight to South Africa a few months ago, but now that I developed these two conditions, I am scared. I cannot afford business or first class and those are the only seats in front on the wing. I called and was able to book a seat relatively in the middle of the airplane, but I am right next to the wing. Is it extremely bad and way too noisy if I am not in the front of the plane but more in the middle? Also, I was just planning to wear foam ear plugs and not muffs or noise cancelling headphone but should I reconsider? The problem with ear plugs is that they block out a lot of sound, causing me to notice my tinnitus MUCH more. Any suggestions? I developed tinnitus a month ago when I stood next to a speaker at a loud concert for less than an hour. As for my mild Eustachian tube dysfunction, I had a cold a few weeks ago. My audiologist said that my hearing is perfect and my tympanogram came out normal. My ent said that it is okay to fly with tinnitus and ETD, and that it shouldn't affect the tone or pitch as long as I wear protection. Although, he told me to use a neti pot to clean my sinuses. Unfortunately, it made my ears feel even more blocked and I now have a small amount of pain once and a while. Therefore, I do not want to use it again as i am too scared to. I was prescribed with prednisone when I first got blocked ears, but was prescribed over the phone(no doctor saw me) . It is a small dose only for a week. I did not take it as some people claim that it is ototoxic, but I am desperate for relief of this pressure in my ears, especially before my flight with such high altitudes. When I went to my ent he said that he doesn't recommend I take it as my ETD should go away over time and medication isn't necessary. But, my flight is in a few weeks and I am so scared of flying with blocked ears and tinnitus.. My prayers go out to all of you and good luck with your flight Roseanna!

• Like Like x 1
    8. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      I've had H&T for 11 months and have taken two flights. The first flight was a 2 1/2 hour each way round trip, while the second flight was 9 hours each way round trip.

First trip. I was a bit anxious because I didn't know what it would do to the T. I can tell you the noise in the airport felt about as loud as the noise in the plane. Once settled in on the plane I decided it wouldn't be so bad, but then the flight attendant started shouting into an already-too-loud speaker and I had to cover my ears. But once we got into the air and the chattering stopped, the engine noise kind of masked the T and I was able to read a novel (which is usually difficult because my T is unmaskable and distracting). After the flight it was probably spiked for an hour or so, but once I went to a quiet room and rested, it was fine. Same thing for the flight home, yet that was even easier because the flight attendant knew how to use a speaker properly.

The 9 hour flights were interesting. The first was an evening flight that included dinner and a big glass of wine. It was incredibly noisy, but I won't lie -- the wine helped. It also helped me nap for about 2 hours so the flight went by quickly and I don't even remember a spike.

The 9 hour flight back was a morning flight and it was awful. Everyone around us was coughing and the toddler behind us was sick and crying the whole time. The anxiety level was definitely heightened, and after the flight my T was spiked and my usual hissing took one a few new tones. The new tones came and went for two days. I blamed the flight, but then realized I'd caught a cold as the T moved to the right ear and caused beeping noises. But hey, I lived through it.

So it was a big bag, but I'm already looking forward to another flight because it means I'll be somewhere new and interesting. The key, for me at least, is to have a relaxation plan for after the flight. Oh, and for the next flight I'm going to try noise cancelling headphones. Hopefully someone will give me some for Mother's Day.

• Like Like x 3
      • Informative Informative x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      You can get musician earplugs. These earplugs prevent noisy sounds from reaching your ears, while letting in all other sounds allowing you not to focus on T.

I would definitely buy both the ear muffs and the noise cancelling headphones, if I were you. Don't take any chances with T, unless you absolutely have to. If you are on a tight budget, ear muffs ought to still be affordable.

10. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:

11. Michelle G

Michelle G Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sorry I am new to this app... what musician ear plugs do you recommend? Also, should I wear noise cancelling headphones over them?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Thanks for the reply.

Yes, i know at cruising point, its a steady sound and i'm told its not all that loud. Infact my dad was saying the airport itself is probably more louder than the plane. what are noise cancelling ear plugs? never actually heard of those before? And ear muffs as in ear defenders right? would i just ring up the airport and tell them about what plane and when the flight will be and simply ask that i can be assigned a seat towards the front? yes i've also heard that nearer the front of the plane the quieter it will be. I'd be flying to Vancouver, Washington, no noisy New York haha
      thanks alot.

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Thanks, its nice to know that others have been brave enough to fly. Still not sure whether to or not, going to book an appointment with my audiologist and speak to him too. I know when it comes to tinnitus, the noise probably won't make it any worse as long as i keep ear protection with me. The hypercausis is what i'm not sure about :/ i wouldn't want to make it worse or have a setback or anything. But then i'm thinking i don't want to regret not going...

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      thanks for replying :)
      wow so you went ahead with it? i hope you managed to have a good time! thats what i'm thinking, somewhere new and such a oppitunity and i don't want it to just pass by me. But i am concerned with my ears, i don't want to have to suffer any worse or more. where would i get noise cancelling headphones? people keep mentioning these to me?

• Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Over-Earmuffs-X5A/dp/B00CPCHBCQ
      I just got these today. I was pleasantly surprised with how effective they are. The way they look (how wide they are), is the only problem that I can see. The two cups together as as wide as the distance between the top of my middle finger and the bottom of my palm.
      With most airlines, you can go to their website, click "manage my trip", enter your booking number, and then click "select seats". If this option is not available, you could come to the airport early, and then explain your condition to the agent and ask him or her to assign seats closer to the front. But perhaps you could also call the airline. Of course, the earlier you get your seats, the higher is the chance that there will be free seats at the front still available...
      It is certainly a very beautiful area that is well worth a visit!
      I haven't heard of that.
      I am in the process of getting myself a pair of those plugs. I plan to wear noise cancelling headphones over them. My Bose noise cancelling headphones do a great job getting rid of lower frequencies. The high frequencies are still there, but that might be a good thing - if I wear musician earplugs, the high frequency sounds might mask my T. Having said all of that, I haven't seen musician earplugs yet - hopefully they look similar to foam plugs, and will fit under my Bose headphones.

16. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I've flown about two dozen times in the last eight years, for today travel times ranging from 75mins to 12 hours. Mostly, but not entirely, with earplugs of some kind. No issues

• Like Like x 2
    17. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Just clicked the link, they're quite big actually,but tbh i couldn't care less what people think, my ears need protection aha. Yeh, i'll have to see what i can do with seating if i do decide to go. Didn't really know you had the choice of seats, i'm such a novice aha. Oh i mean noise cancelling headphones not plugs. Cool, you've been before? it would love to go, but i don't want to risk my ears getting worse, but then i don't want to regret not going either :/

18. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      https://www.amazon.com/Howard-Leight-Honeywell-1010928-Dielectric/dp/B002VEC3J4

Smaller ones, still good for a plane. ;)

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    19. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I owe
      https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B01E3SNO1G
      They do a great job cancelling lower frequencies. I believe they were made to be used in an airplane - they reduce the background hum inside of an airplane, allowing you to play your music at lower volume. These headphones have an on/off noise cancelling button. You can just turn them on, and not play any music, while being protected. They headphones are said to create a wave that cancels the incoming sound wave. Some people on this site had complained about feeling pressure on their eardrum when wearing those phones. Others said that after wearing them for a long time, they got a spike. I wore them for hours inside of a car on a highway, and I was ok. But I wore earplugs under them. I believe that with earplugs in, one can get the benefits of these headphones, and not worry about the possibility of harm.

These headphones are more comfortable than Peltor earmuffs. I am worried that Peltor earmuffs could start feeling like your head is in a vice, after you wear them for several hours.

• Like Like x 1
    20. BuzzyBee
      Bookworm

BuzzyBee Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not Sure
      First off, if you aren't prone to ear infections you should get some custom made earplugs. Your audiologist should be able to get those for you pretty easily. I had some made, but I don't really wear them because when I take them out my ears ache a bit and in one case I got a fungal infection. But that's just me. I have a weird ear canal. If you have normal ear canals you should look into getting some.

Or get earmuffs like the Peltor or 3M ones sold on Amazon. I bought a pair of these. The yellow color is not very stylish, but they're comfortable.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-Op...F8&qid=1494529293&sr=1-3&keywords=3m+earmuffs

Noise cancelling headphones are completely different and quite a bit more expensive. The ones I like best but haven't yet purchased are the Bose QuietComfort.

https://www.amazon.com/Bose-QuietComfort-Wireless-Headphones-Cancelling/dp/B01E3SNO1G

One of my doctors said says his hyperacusis patients use them all the time and that they should not make tinnitus worse.

21. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I moved to an area close to the West Coast, 14 years ago. I still can't get enough of the mountains. How much time will you have here? Will you have access to a car?

22. Alue
      No Mood

Alue Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I think I've taken 28 flights since I got T and H (I've lost count).

Earmuffs are great for flying. I recommend the peltor X5A. I don't care what they look like. Earplugs work too, but there is a question about equalizing pressure. Most likely they would not be a problem even during takeoff and landing, but I can't say that 100%.

Planes may not be that loud for normal people, but they are still quite loud for those of us with H (although not louder than my T apparently).

• Winner Winner x 1
    23. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Would you say they are better (as far as flying is concerned) than Bose noise cancelling headphones?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    24. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Oh, i just use the foam ones, pack of like 15. They actually block out quite alot of noise for how cheap they are. Yeh, as long as they fit you and are comfortable and protect you then that's all that matters :) What do the noise cancelling ones do, do they just pretty much block out every sound or something?
      Thanks!

25. LadyDi
      Busy

LadyDi Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Barotrauma/airplane
      Hi, @Roseanna H: I have posted a lot about this topic here, as barotrauma from a plane flight caused my tinnitus.

Most of what I've had to say is on this thread, you can just look for my avatar. It includes a very specific protocol, put together with my doctor, that I follow for all my trips. And I have flown many times since my tinnitus started, including between the US and Europe.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/flying-tinnitus.1001/page-4#post-47637

A few quick points:

Definitely go on your trip! It's a wonderful opportunity! DO NOT let tinnitus run your life! You will be OK on the flight.

Don't use solid earplugs on the plans ascent or descent. It will make the pressure worse. Either use filtered musicians plugs or Earplanes, which are specially designed to relieve pressure. You can buy them in drug stores, etc.

Noise cancelling headphones are helpful, Bose are a good brand.

Take Sudafed or similar medications for two days before you fly, to dry out your sinuses. This might be overkill but its worked for me. Details in the thread posted above.

Good luck!

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    26. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Bose noise cancelling headphones eliminate low-frequencies similar to the hum you hear inside of an airplane cabin. This allows you to play your music at a lower volume. You can also use them to reduce the noise, and not to listen to music.

===
      Thank you for the information, LadyDi!

• Like Like x 1
    27. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Wow that's amazing, they told me they go for hikes round the mountains! I would be going for a week or 10 days, its undecided yet. I would be able to go in a car, but not driving myself aha still learning to drive.

28. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Yeh if i do decide to go i will bring protection with me of course. But yeh wasn't sure about it being safe to wear it while taking off/landing because of the whole altitude and pressure thing...do you think it would be just safer to put your fingers over your ears or something until your up in the air? Honestly not sure whether to wear the ear protection in those scenarios??

29. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Roseanna H

Roseanna H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Janurary 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear phones
      Oh i see, yeh i wouldn't be listening to any music for sure, thats would started my tinnuts - music through headphones. Would ear muffs/ear defenders pretty much do the same thing??

30. Rubenslash

Rubenslash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Bad luck and bad decisions
      Ear muffs cut all noise, noise cancelling headphones only the constant noise.