Going To Bars and the Like

Discussion in 'Support' started by RichardRR, May 5, 2015.

1. RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      So it was my 21st birthday this past weekend so I decided to hit a few bars with friends. The first bar was loud enough where I had to talk loud to hear the other people at my table, and I was there for about a half an hour, no plugs in. The next two bars were pretty quiet, could talk in a normal voice. The fourth bar was a bit louder, but not as loud as the first bar. Stayed for about a half hour, no plugs. At this point I am a bit drunk, and head off to the arcade. The arcade we went to was very loud, at which point the plugs went in (musician ear plugs). Stayed for about another half hour and went to the last bar which was about as loud as the fourth bar we went to, but I still had my plugs in. All this was on a Friday, it is now Monday and I don't think I have any difference or change in my T. Does this seem normal, or would anyone else have a spike given the same circumstances? Looking forward to hear from you!

2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Oh also, earlier in the day I saw the new Avengers movie, but had plugs in the entire time.

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      And another question, is it still OK to go to bars, movies, arcades etc. even with ear plugs? Thanks!

4. marqualler
      Nerdy

marqualler Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection / Mild Noise Induced Hearing Loss
      @RichardRR sounds like a great day! Many recommend you go on and live your life and since you didn't have any issues, all the better. Wear plugs in places that exceed noise thresholds to prevent ear damage but otherwise you sound like you are in good shape.

How was The Avengers?

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Thanks, yeah I thought so I just wanted to be sure!

And it was very good! I liked the first one a little better, but the new one was still awesome!

6. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      @RichardRR
      Seems like you did good. Forge ahead with your life, go go go.

It's funny how some places can be loud, like you mentioned the arcade.
      I go to this brewery/restaurant between the music and lots of people talking, it also can be loud- acoustics.
      I’d like to avoid it, but is a good place to eat. When its busy- it gets loud.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      RichardRR
      Tired

RichardRR Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2011
      Exactly. I'm probably going to avoid bars that have live music though, that might be a bit too rough for me even with ear plugs.

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I wear earplugs in bars, generally, unless they are unusually quiet (say, 75 dB average).

There is at least anecdotal and animal-model evidence to suggest that noise combined with alcohol is worse than noise or alcohol by themselves (severe alcohol abuse can cause tinnitus on its own, alcohol is significantly neurotoxic and obviously GABAergenic. "Hangovers" are the result of excess glutamate signaling and acetaldehyde, neither of which do good things to your ears).

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. bwspot

bwspot Member

Tinnitus Since:
      06/13/2014
      So i went out with my friend to watch the NHL playoffs and IT was crazy. I had foam plugs but external sounds were so high that my t was reacting to them and at times I would feel discomfort so finally after 4 hours I run away.
      I though that ear plugs should help but it seems like they don't block enough for t not to be reactive.
      It is sad but I think going out with friends won't be possible anymore unless it is quiet coffe bar.
      I also noticed that all those pubs are 95-100db all the time.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Ricky81
      Worried

Ricky81 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      July 14, 2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Assault/Contusion/Ear Infection
      I avoid going to bars and especially clubs where music is very loud and dumb girls grinding with any loser that walks by.

My T is due to head trauma but since getting T if I go to a bar, club with out plugs my T spikes up the entire night.

Fk T... before I would go to bars, clubs and never had any issues.