Going to Dentist — What Ear Plugs Should I Buy and Where Can I Buy Them?

Vin

Author
Jan 28, 2019
Tinnitus Since
12/2018
Cause of Tinnitus
Head Trauma
Hi,

I need to go to the dentist to have me teeth cleaned and I will need work down on two bottom teeth later this year (it was determined last year but my co-pay was maxed so they had to put it over until this year).

Can anyone recommend a pair of ear plugs I should buy and where I can buy them (Amazon?) so I do not have further damage done?

I am concerned about the high power cleaning machine they use and also about the drill which they will be using later this year when I have work done on my bottom teeth.

Thanks for any info and thanks to this site, I know this precaution. I never would have even thought of that had it not been for this site and those drills are loud and right next to our ears as you all know.

Thanks.

Hi,

I need to go to the dentist to have me teeth cleaned and I will need work down on two bottom teeth later this year (it was determined last year but my co-pay was maxed so they had to put it over until this year).

Can anyone recommend a pair of ear plugs I should buy and where I can buy them (Amazon?) so I do not have further damage done?

I am concerned about the high power cleaning machine they use and also about the drill which they will be using later this year when I have work done on my bottom teeth.

Thanks for any info and thanks to this site, I know this precaution. I never would have even thought of that had it not been for this site and those drills are loud and right next to our ears as you all know.

Thanks.

1. Don't use earplugs at the dentist. Due the occlusion effect, they will make the noise level from drilling and cleaning louder. If you want to wear hearing protection, use ear muffs.

2. Drilling needs to be done with pauses in between. That means a few seconds on and a few seconds off. I can't remember the exact recommendations, but it you search TT or the net, you will probably find them. It's something like five seconds drilling and ten seconds pause. You will have to make your dentist agree to this.

3. Tell them to clean your teeth manually. It can be done.

Thanks.

What do you mean by ear muffs? Like the orange ones construction workers use?

Thanks for the tip on the drill and the manual cleaning. I wonder how they can manually clean when they have used that polisher drill since I was a child? I can ask though.

I will do a search.

Thanks again. If anyone else would care to chime in, it would be appreciated.

Thanks.

What do you mean by ear muffs? Like the orange ones construction workers use?

Thanks for the tip on the drill and the manual cleaning. I wonder how they can manually clean when they have used that polisher drill since I was a child? I can ask though.

I will do a search.

Thanks again. If anyone else would care to chime in, it would be appreciated.

Maybe my English is a bit messed up. (I'm not a native English speaker, so bear with me.)

I mean earmuffs like these:

51fbuP-CLzL._SY300_QL70_.jpg

I've asked my dentist to clean my teeth manually, and it wasn't a problem. If yours won't play along, you should probably look for another. I can't remember the name of the tool used for manual cleaning, however.

I am concerned about the high power cleaning machine they use
Whatever you do, do not let them use their ultrasonic cleaning machine. Ask them to clean your teeth manually - I never heard about them refusing to do it. It costs the same, takes the same amount of time, and the quality is the same. Ultrasonic cleaning has the potential to give you a permanent spike (the downside) and there is no upside.

Due the occlusion effect,
Yes - the sound will travel through your body and bounce off of your earplugs and back into the ear canal and make the sound louder.
Beginning today, commit to taking better care of your teeth. You want to minimize the number of dental procedures you undergo.
It is probably not a good idea to wear ear plugs or even ear muffs during a dental procedure because of occlusion effect. You will want to ask your dentist to drill for at most 5 seconds followed by a 10 second break. If a laser can't be used, find a dentist who uses electric-powered drills (as opposed to the traditional air-powered drills) as they are supposed to be quieter. For more details, check out
https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/dentist-laser-vs-ordinary.2791/#post-272983

028AD77D-DAEA-40CD-A9E8-94844A9B4BB4.jpeg
Maybe my English is a bit messed up. (I'm not a native English speaker, so bear with me.)

I mean earmuffs like these:

View attachment 26274
I've asked my dentist to clean my teeth manually, and it wasn't a problem. If yours won't play along, you should probably look for another. I can't remember the name of the tool used for manual cleaning, however.

Okay, I understand now. Thanks! Sorry, I live in Canada where it is very cold so when I hear 'earmuffs', the first thing I usually think about are the ones people wear here for the cold (heh)...thanks again. I will call next week and inquire about 'manual cleaning'.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now