Going to ENT — Mild Ringing/Sinus Infection — What Should I Ask the Doctor? Any Precautions to Take?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Joshua12345, Aug 31, 2019.

1. Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Going to the ENT for mild ear ringing in my left ear, and I have a sinus infection. Ringing has only been about 1 week so far, sinus infection for months. I see some people get issues when they remove wax, etc so I want to be careful.

Anything I shouldn't let the ENT do? Or something I should ask him? You guys probably have a lot more experience then me. Should I mention ETD or will he look at me like I'm an idiot? Thanks!!

2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      My opinion is to avoid tympanometry and microsuction like the plague.

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      Do you have a history of over exposure to loud noise?

If so tell them...

4. boliston
      No Mood

boliston Member

Tinnitus Since:
      30th April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      I have got an ENT appointment booked for mid December (the earliest I could get) and also need to beware of anything that could make tinnitus worse - I think I could also have a sinus issue as about 2 years I mostly lost my sense of smell (anosmia), and also had sinus pain when descending in a plane - If I use a nasal spray my sense of smell comes back but only if I keep using the spray so I think sinus problems might be affecting me ears.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      @Joshua12345

Your ears and auditory system need to be examined thoroughly if you want to try and find the cause of the tinnitus. Let the ENT doctor do his/her job. They know about the anatomy of the Ear, Nose, Throat. This is their area of expertise. My advice is not to listen to people that tell you don't let the doctor do this or that. They are professionals, it's not your place to be giving them instructions as such, unless you are feeling discomfort whilst being examined or answering questions.

Earwax removal by Microsuction or Ear irrigation carries no more risk then any other medical procedure. However, proper preparation to limit any risk should be carried out prior to having the wax removed. Apply eardrops/olive oil to each ear 3x a day for 10 days then have the wax removed. There are people that do not use eardrops for the duration that I have mentioned and some develop problems and some don't. I advise you to follow my advice.

Please click on the link below and read my article: Tinnitus, A Personal View. It will explain what usually happens when a tinnitus patient visits ENT for the first time. This is the procedure in the UK.

Michael

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      If I have wax in my ear and he thinks that's the reason, how else would I get rid of it? Instead of microsuction?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Nope I don't. That's why I'm sort of hoping it can be resolved, since the hearing is fine! Just ringing and fullness in that one ear

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Manual removal.
      You are certainly free to make your choice and I'm just some dork on the internet, but I say don't risk it.

9. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I have had microsuction 3 times ear irrigation 3 times never had a problem. Do not get caught up in panic and fear.

Michael

10. Mila9828

Mila9828 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/01/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Accident/Screaming?
      Hey, I would avoid ear irrigation! I ended up suffering an acoustic trauma from it two weeks ago, although there's no present of tinnitus in my affected ear (it actually kind of reduced after the irrigation), I now have issues with volume and pain in that area. Mine could have been anxiety related and I'm hoping it improves over time. Just be careful.

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Sorry if this is a dumb question, but is manual removal something the ENT would do, or would I manually do it at home? And if it's me, how would I do it? Thanks again!

12. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'm not really sure. I think that is something the ENT can do.

13. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      It could be ETD. I had it, and I used an Otovent for about 3 weeks and the plugged feeling went. And guess what? The tinnitus went too, and I heard silence. However, instead of rejoicing I became stressed thinking that it wouldn't last, and it didn't. The tinnitus migrated to my other ear, and then after a while it migrated back to the original ear. So I had it in both ears.

Are you sure it's a wax problem? I've become very wary of all doctors and medical professionals as they may well have directly led to my tinnitus and it's worsening. I would get 'someone' to look in the ear without trying to remove anything first. A gentle person.

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      I'm not sure it's ETD. I feel like it's sinus, but when I shower my sinus symptoms go away for a bit, but the ear was still ringing that time. So I'm really not sure.

On one end, I want the ENT to figure it out and offer a solution. On another end, I'm worried any solution the ENT has (ear wax, antibiotics, etc.) could make it worse :(

• Agree Agree x 1
    15. all to gain
      No Mood

all to gain Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      -
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      -
      Have you had ETD before?

Yeah, i'd be very careful. Keep away from medication if you can.

You've got to do something though it seems. It really is your call.

16. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Joshua12345

Joshua12345 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Not sure
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      The first ENT I went to said I had a sinus infection, and that my ear stuff would clear up once I fix that. She prescribed "Augmentin875". Not a huge fan of antibiotics. She also didn't use an endoscope to check my nose, just sprayed something and quickly looked up. So I'm going to a new one soon but they might prescribe me the same thing