Going to ER Can't Get Through Another Day

Discussion in 'Support' started by Marie79, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I have hyperacusis now and the tinnitus is pulsating and I'm afraid I will hurt myself. I didn't realize pulsating meant you heard the T in pulsing I thought it was you heard your heartbeat.

Now it's like a grinding bike again and again and again

• Hug Hug x 5
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Sorry about your latest challenge. H is tough to adjust to initially, but fortunately for many it will fade within the ear it starts. That happened to me a few years back.

If you have PT, try to post in the PT support forum so those who had PT and had gone better can help advise you. A notable member, @Karen, is quite experienced about PT. Perhaps she can advise you better on coping with this new challenge. Take care & God bless.

• Friendly Friendly x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I'm so afraid I'm going to hurt myself I'm not like all of you and can do this I can't rest ever there is nowhere safe

• Hug Hug x 2
    4. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Marie79 it happend to me but went after two weeks. Please don't do anything to yourself. Hang in there we are all here for you.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I refuse to google pulsation T but is it when the T shriek goes with your heartbeat? I had assumed it was just HEARING your heartbeat

6. Dana
      Busy

Dana Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Multi-factorial
      Yes. It is not the noise of your pulse. It's the horrible T sound in sync with your pulse. Better do a search about that on this forum, for some patients experience. You won't find much on the Internet, you will just find out that this indicates a problem with blood pressure or a vessel.
      I had my period of pulsatile tinnitus24/7, and it still appears now right after I lift weights (not at the gym, at the supermarket). It will settle and you will get better, if you are patient and optimistic. Do not harm yourself. Don't you want to see the sequel of this thriller? In part two you will become from the victim, the hero and you will conquer this.
      In my case too, the 24/7 pulsatile tinnitus went away without doing anything about it.

• Like Like x 2
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Marie79 . It happend to me like I said. Went to the doc and said its quite common with tinnitus. It went after two weeks. I know how you feel please give it a little time. Be strong sweetheart.

8. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Marie79,

To answer your question about pulsating tinnitus, it usually sounds like a swooshing sound, kind of like a fetal monitor. I have both pulsating tinnitus and regular tinnitus, and I hear two different sounds at the same time: I am hearing a drumbeat-type sound in time with my pulse, and I am also hearing a constant, high-pitched hissing type of ringing.

Yours may not be true pulsatile tinnitus, and I think the best thing to do is not to panic, and to monitor it. It may be that it will settle down in a couple of days. If not, then I'll be happy to assist you in determining what to do next.

Please keep us posted on how you're doing, and don't panic. Mine was really loud when it first started, and I have gotten much more used to it now, so that it is less bothersome.

Lots of hugs,
      Karen

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    9. Aussie Lea
      Dramaqueen

Aussie Lea Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2013
      @Marie79

10. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

SteveSkis92 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity from Electronic Cigarettes (Propylene Glycol)
      @Marie79 Please hang in there. In my personal unprofessional opinion the fact that your T is cardiac synchronous but does NOT sound like a "wooshing" noise may signify that you have inflammation based tinnitus. I could go into detail here, but I don't think that's what you need right now. You'll get through this, but the first couple months are definitely the hardest. Exercise and being outside always help me to get my mind off of things, at least temporarily.

When you're feeling up to it, you should look up "Somatosensory Pulsatile Tinnitus." This is a specific type of tinnitus that is caused solely by inflammation, so theoretically speaking if you DO have this type of T, it could very well disappear with anti-inflammatory efforts. However, this process takes a long time, and finding a doctor that has even heard of this type of T is extremely difficult in my experience.

Hang in there Marie, I know how much T and the related emotions suck. It's just not fun, but things DO get better. Don't quit now!

-Steve

• Like Like x 1
    11. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Marie79 And just to add to what I've already said, a specific symptom of "Somatosensory Pulsatile Tinnitus" is having a high-pitched, cardiac synchronous tone, NOT the "wooshing" sound that is typical of regular Pulsatile tinnitus.....

Just a thought...
      -Steve

12. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SteveSkis92,

Thanks for mentioning the somatosensory pulsatile tinnitus. You may be right that Marie's is that type of sound, and that it may be caused by inflammation. If so, I've heard that tinnitus that is caused by inflammation may respond to systemic enzymes, such as Wobenzym. She could consider trying taking those, to see if it makes any difference.
      As for me, I took systemic enzymes for about 6 months, but it didn't make any difference in mine. There are so many different types of tinnitus, we have to experiment and see what seems to work best for us.

• Agree Agree x 1
    13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      So this somatosensory thing might be because I'm all panicky?

14. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
    15. jdjd09

jdjd09 Member

@Karen , can I ask what one does? I always here things can be donr for t or this or that, but unclear what can actually be done. Just curious.

16. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hey again Marie, to answer your question, this type of Tinnitus could be caused by stress/anxiety and the subsequent tension/inflammation that it causes, but it is typically a multi-faceted issue.

What I mean by that is that while inflammation may be causing your T, that inflammation is likely from issues that have been present for years. Bad posture, stiff muscles, lack of exercise, repetitive motion, etc. can all contribute to inflammation. It's possible that something finally "broke the camel's back" so to speak. In my case, years of bad posture, mild scoliosis, and repetitive motion at my old job (spent 40-50 hours a week on a meat slicer while managing a restaraunt) were pushed "over the edge" when I started using an electronic cigarette to try and quit. (At least this is what I'm guessing. It could be ototoxic damage in my case, but my T is very unique. Unlike essentially any other I've seen on this site.)

Your best bet would be to do a quick Google search of "Somatosensory Pulsatile Tinnitus." Dr. Levine, who discovered this type of T, has written extensively about it and it is available online. It is a very thick read, but if nothing else check out the symptoms and the things they use to diagnose it. If you match a lot of the symptoms/indicators, this might be something you should pursue with your doctor.

Sorry for being long-winded, I'm not good at keeping Tinnitus related conversations short....

Wishing you the best! Let me know if there are any other questions I can help out with. You're not alone! My ears are ringing right this second with you......

-Steve

• Agree Agree x 1
    17. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hi, @jdjd09,

Thanks for asking. I was referring to pulsatile tinnitus, which is a different type of tinnitus that usually has a vascular cause. So -- this type of tinnitus can often be cured if a cause is found. I'm one of those unfortunate people who has pulsatile tinnitus, for whom a cause hasn't been found as yet, so I've been living with it.

For other types of tinnitus, although right now there is no cure, things can be improved with proper diet, exercise, masking, and sometimes TRT (tinnitus retraining therapy) or CBT (cognitive behavior therapy). Also, for some people, hearing aids with masking capabilities are a big help. You can experiment to see what types of remedies work best for you. For me, it's exercise, diet, supplements (such as magnesium and NAC), getting a good night's sleep, and habituation.

Other people may have additional suggestions for you.

Best wishes,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. SteveSkis92
      Dumb

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Karen I hope you don't mind me asking, but what dietary changes did you make that you feel had an impact on your T? I am currently debating trying to go gluten free for a month to see what that does, but my T is totally unaffected by food 99% of the time. (Or at least I don't have any "spikes" from food.)

I'd also like to commend you on the great work you do here. Your encouraging words and positive posts have gotten me through more than one bad day. Thanks again.

-Steve

• Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    19. Karen
      Talkative

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @SteveSkis92,

For me, the only dietary changes I've made are to limit sugar, salt, caffeine, alcohol, and to cut out aspartame. Other than that, nothing else. I've found that my normal diet doesn't seem to affect my tinnitus very much.

I'll be interested to hear, if you do decide to go on the gluten-free diet, how it affects your tinnitus.

Thanks for your kind words!

Karen

20. Ecip

Ecip Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Still unknown... possibly noise exposure?
      Was the ER able to help?

21. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Marie79

Marie79 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/1/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      not at all.

thank you all. I'm still panicking tonight but I guess I will just load up (not dangerously) on xanax to get to sleep. It's just the sleep that is so hard and I think I went into a tailspin today because Dr. Marzghar said I have some hypercuasis. Also the pulsitile seemed to go away. sigh.

• Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1