Going to the Beach — Should You Be Wearing Earplugs When There Are Rough Waves?

Discussion in 'Support' started by missingsilence, Sep 11, 2019.

1. missingsilence
      Depressed

missingsilence Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Who am I kidding, its got to be noise :/
      I went to the beach for the first time (in two years) since my tinnitus got worse. The beach was empty, just me and the ocean. I swam and I walked along the shore were the waves break. After 5 to 10 minutes I started obsessing again and whipped out the sound meter. It read around 74-76 dB where the waves break and at its max it read 82 dB.

Should I be wearing earplugs around rough waves? Could a 10-15 min exposure at up to 82 dB cause damage?

It seems like exaggeration as I've never worn earplugs for light swimming or walking along the seaside before, but heck, I don't know.

2. Striveon

Striveon Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I went to the beach, the waves were crashing and moving back and fourth, without earplugs and I did not spike. I was there around six hours.

3. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      If you feel you should, then yes.

When my hyperacusis was at its peak two months ago, I couldn't be within two rooms of a boiling kettle. Now in a good day I can stand next to one quite happily.

Your ears will start to tell you if they are feeling under pressure. But try not to protect or avoid sounds as long as it feels comfortable and there is no imminent danger.

4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It depends on whether this kind of a sound gives you a spike. If I were you, I would be on that beach for 15-30 minutes, and then see whether this gives me a spike that day, or the next morning. If there is no spike, I would gradually increase the time on the beach. If there is a spike, I would try wearing earplugs.

5. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Sounds wonderful. Do you live in Australia?

6. Digital Doc

Digital Doc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced
      Probably no need for earplugs, but if you think so, then not foam, but silicone, or earplugs designed to keep water out would work.

• Agree Agree x 1