Going to Try Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS)

Discussion in 'Support' started by erniej, Jan 18, 2016.

1. erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I just found out that Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center uses Transcranial Direct Current Stimulation (tDCS) to treat tinnitus. There are all types of these devices available. I just ordered "The Brain Stimulator."
      I have to try something. I feel like I can't stand it for another minute. I know this sounds terrible but I feel like going out in my garage and just starting my car. I was on xanax for it for years and last spring I decided to start a slow taper off of it. I woke up one day and my right ear was ringng horribly. I tried notch music and got 1 1/2 days relief but then it came back in both ears even louder than before. I tried to up dose the xanax some but it did nothing. It's my understanding that when you start to taper off of it if and your ears start ringing it's too late. I was on 8MGs daily. Now I'm down to 5.5MGs. I had gotten down to 4.5MGs daily. I just found out that that's still a massive dosage. Poeple on benzo forums are suffering trying to get off 1.5MG daily dose. The irony is that I was put on Xanax for tinnitus. Even if I wanted to continue my taper it could take another year because I have been on it for so long (started 1991) and then the ringing could last another two years or become permanent. Also, Xanax can hinder the brain's natural ability to habituate.
      It's just so loud. I am debilitated. It's all I can do to go out shopping for my supper.
      I don't think I can last much longer.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. Dubbyaman
      Angry

Dubbyaman Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Excessive loud noise
      erniej Havent had it nearly as long as you but I feel I can relate. The sad thing is theres going to be more and more sufferers in the future because of the lack of awareness. As we speak there are people who are bringing this horrible monster on and dont even know it.

3. ady

ady Member

Are you sure it is safe to use?

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      erniej
      Sporty

erniej Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I don't know
      I read reports with conflicting opinions. Most say that it is very safe. You can buy the devices from places like amazon.com.
      It's 4:25AM and I'm ready to sit in my garage with my car running that's how bad I feel. The car battery went dead the other day and I thought, "oh shit, what am I going to do now." If I'm going to go out I'm going as comfortably as possible. Safety isn't an issue right now.

5. treat rayner

treat rayner Member

Tinnitus Since:
      april 2nd 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I have just fallen prey to Tinnitus about 3 weeks ago. I already have a tDCS machine so I am trying it out as I write this. If anyone else out there has had success , please tell me your montage so i can try it also. I can attest to the safety of the tDCS unit. I have used it for depression with good effects over two years ago. I have not needed it in over 18 months. Now I am hoping it will help reduce this damn "purple noise" I have in my head.

• Winner Winner x 1
    6. ciaran00

ciaran00 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      It still seems quote early stage, but best of luck with it. Am conducting research into it myself currently so will post my findings.

7. stophiss

stophiss Member

Tinnitus Since:
      April 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      too full a life
      We haven't heard from ernie in a while. He has posted ominously before because he has been so tortured by his T.
      Anybody hear from him recently?

8. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's possible that he improved to some extent, and doesn't come here anymore because it reminds him of his issues.

Benzo induced tinnitus is a real bear, but often times people do recover from it -- months or years later.

9. PortugalTheMan
      Shocked

PortugalTheMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Anxiety / Maybe years listening to music on headphones
      Trial of Electrical Direct-Current Therapy versus Escitalopram for Depression

N Engl J Med 376:2523 - 2533 | June 29 , 2017

Patients receiving tDCS had higher rates of skin redness, tinnitus, and nervousness than did those in the other two groups, and new-onset mania developed in 2 patients in the tDCS group. Patients receiving escitalopram had more frequent sleepiness and obstipation than did those in the other two groups.