Golfing After Stapedectomy?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Ziggyzaggy2020, Dec 15, 2018.

1. Ziggyzaggy2020

Ziggyzaggy2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Is there anyone who has had stapedectomy and golfs? Want to see how long after surgery I can get back to playing golf.

2. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      I golf...but I don't know the answer @Ziggyzaggy2020. When is your surgery? I would guess about a month?

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ziggyzaggy2020

Ziggyzaggy2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Thanks Starthrower. 8th day posr surgery as of today. Took most of the gel packing and sutures out on 6th day. Also vaccumed out. Have a follow up next Fri for full clean up, I guess.

This was for my 2nd ear. First was done 20 years back and was perfect. Immediate prognosis of 2nd ear is also good but wary of jumping to any conclusions prematurely as recovery can be over several months.

Did not golf then, but now do at least once every weekend and miss it dearly. Want to get back as soon as possible but also not impact the recovery still to happen.

4. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Ziggyzaggy2020 oh okay. So you just had the surgery about a week ago. I would call the surgeon's office just to ask that question. I would think four to six weeks would be okay to start out golfing again. I know you miss it..but you will be back at it again soon.

Recovery just takes patience and you have a great attitude.

I have noticed when I haven't played golf for a while when I start again I play better. :) Guess I loose the bad swing issues or something. I swing slower rather than trying to kill the ball down the fairway.

If you have a place to practice putting and pitching it would probably be okay.

• Like Like x 1
    5. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      I don't golf, but given the instructions I was given by my surgeon post-op, I waited a couple of months before doing anything that could be considered "strenuous". You should really ask your surgeon.

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ziggyzaggy2020

Ziggyzaggy2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Surgeon gave the generic advice to take it easy for a few weeks. Question is, does golf qualify as easy or strenous? Not aure my surgeon golfs to be able to advise, but will check this week.

To me, putting, chipping etc and even a full swing appears to be not really a ‘strenous’ action. So not convinced golf should be off the table for more than a couple of weeks, unless of course there is dizziness, balance issues still remaining.

7. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      You are the only one that can answer that question.

I played for many years, but quit over ten years ago. Not bragging, but I had a fairly powerful swing without sacrificing form. However, other good golfers I played with didn't swing as hard as I did. I guess what I'm saying is that for me it was quite strenuous. But that was just me.

I have however been on a driving range a few times. And strain or not, the noise from the newer drivers hurt my ears. I couldn't handle the high pitch "ping" that they make.

8. GregCA
      Jaded

GregCA Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis
      You would be surprised at what gets connected to the middle ear muscles and tendons.
      The simple fact of bending over makes my ear "flutter" and opens up a hyperacusis window. Head orientation, body position can all affect the middle ear. This is apparently normal, if I believe my surgeon.

Whether golf is the kind of thing that could have an impact, I don't know (it certainly isn't boxing), but if I were in your shoes, I'd give it a couple of months before trying to "find out".

• Like Like x 1
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ziggyzaggy2020

Ziggyzaggy2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      GregCA, your note of the internal complex connections, which one would rarely assume as being part of maintaining middle ear, gives me pause. Thanks for the warning.

• Like Like x 1
    10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ziggyzaggy2020

Ziggyzaggy2020 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      And Tex, I hope quitting golf was not related to the ear issue alone. It is such a beautiful game and keeps me sane inbetween during the work week...))

PS:Wondering if you tried earplugs to drown out the high pitch driver whining?