Good Day from South Africa

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Gerrie82, May 6, 2016.

1. Gerrie82
      Fine

Gerrie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss & medication
      Good Day,

I'm new to the site.

I have tinnitus, it's busy driving me crazy. Also busy interfering with my sleep and work.

The ringing in ears don't stop even with a hearing aid.

At night I can't sleep sometimes a sleeping pill works other times not.

Anyone with advice?

Regards
      Gerrie

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerrie82
      Fine

Gerrie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Good Day All,

My name is Gerrie, I'm 34 years old I've been deaf in my left ear since a very young age - nobody can tell me why or if there is something they can do for me.

In the early 2000's I suffered an ear infection in the right ear that caused my right ear to loose about 50% of my normal hearing. My GP referred me to an ENT, he walked the extra mile with me and a very understanding person. He opened my left ear to see if he can any ear damage that can be repaired after the operation he said all the internal parts is working properly so it must be nerve deafness.

Last week I went back to him as my promotion at work includes having meetings - I hate them and some people like to make fun out of my disability - he sent me of for ear tests to see whether I will be a candidate for the BAHA technology, but unfortunately I'm not a candidate.

He wants to send me to the ear institute to see if I can be a candidate for a cochlear implant.

Will be hearing from him this week.

I also suffer from tinnitus and sometimes drives me crazy as hell, but all I do is concentrate on something else, but at night its sometimes just impossible to sleep.

I'm a member on the forum and have been looking at other threads as well.

Thank you

3. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Welcome to the forum. Have you done masking at night? Having some soothing nature sounds that match your tinnitus will help shield the ringing. If you have not done masking or wish to have more choices for masking sounds, here are some suggestions. Take care. God bless.

1) Mask at bed time so you can sleep better. Find whatever sounds/music that are soothing to you. You can use a sound machine or sound pillow for this, or a computer with speakers.

2) If you need masking on the go, try load an iPod with nature sounds or music using iTunes. If you have a smart phone, you can download free APPs for soothing or tinnitus masking sounds.

3) If you have computer and speakers, you can try these excellent masking sounds too:

Tinnitus Talk's audio player: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/audioplayer/

or this online sound library, particularly the self-mix nature sounds: https://mynoise.net

or download free sound generator ‘Aire Freshener’: http://www.peterhirschberg.com/mysoftware.html

or search YouTube with words like 'tinnitus masking sounds', 'white noise', 'rain sound' etc.

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerrie82
      Fine

Gerrie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Yes I do have the masking albums sometimes its doing an awesum job other times the tinnus is just o load sounds like forklifts reversing and all sort off noises.

Yes I'm working in a factory with all sorts of noises,

Regards

5. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Also if you find it hard to sleep even with masking sounds, then it may be worth to try some sleeping aids. Melatonin is a natural alternative to the prescribed sleeping pills. If you haven't tried it, you may want to explore it to see if you find benefit in using it. There are also other alternatives suc as Lemon Balm, Valerian, Hops, Catnips, Passion Flower, Chamomile, Lavender, Kava, etc. You can do google search or check Amazon.com for each of them to know how people review these products, and see if you can take them as a supplement. Check out this site on using natural herbs for helping to sleep or to calm the nerves.

http://www.christopherhobbs.com/lib...ealth/herbs-and-natural-remedies-for-insomnia /

6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerrie82
      Fine

Gerrie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thank you, I will give it a try.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Gerrie82
      Fine

Gerrie82 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Since 2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Just got the bad news today, my hearing got worse by 20%, my 4000 Hz is almost non existent.

• Hug Hug x 1
    8. Agatha

Agatha Member

Tinnitus Since:
      04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      Can you attach your audiogram in the thread?