Good to Be Here...

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by topekahunk, Aug 10, 2016.

1. topekahunk

topekahunk Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High-pitch hearing loss
      Hi Everyone!

I'm so glad I found this forum!

I've had tinnitus since 10/2010 and, for the most part, it's been manageable. Unfortunately I recently I went through a pretty stressful life event (break-up) and my ears have decided to voice their displeasure in a big way (eeeeeee!).

I went to my PCP this afternoon and she prescribed me some Trazadone to battle my poor sleep and recent depression. I need to get a handle of my depression/anxiety before I can properly tackle coping with T again!

I've often wondered if fellow T sufferers experience the same thing as me so a couple of questions:

-Does the noise as a result of hand clapping drive anyone else crazy?
      -I read that most struggle with sleeping. For me it's the exact opposite. I tend to fall asleep quite easily. My T bothers me more during the day! Anyone else experience similar?
      -Anyone else taken Trazadone? I've never taken a sedative or antidepressant before so a bit nervous to try it out tonight!

Thanks in advance and I look forward to contributing to this board!

Steve

2. James
      No Mood

James Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Pulsing 03/2013
      Welcome @topekahunk

Glad you joined to share another T story. My Doctor initially prescribed me Trazadone. Sleeping was my issue. The Trazadone didn't help me sleep. I tried another AD. You might be different. Great to work with your doctors on that one. One didn't work for me, try again. Welcome.

3. Russell Smith
      Not amused

Russell Smith Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise induced hearing loss
      Hello topekahunk

It seems we have had T for about the same time and for the same reason . Mine was noise induced hearing loss from a job I used to do . Also been going through a divorce and snap, T has gotten worse , when it rains it pours I guess .
      Prior to this it was also manageable and sleep wasn't a problem I had become so used to it ,it was like it wasn't there .

Then all this happened and sleep again became an issue so the doc prescribed me some mild sleeping tablets , something that wouldn't totally knock me out as I have 2 small children and would need to be able to wake up if something was wrong . He prescribed them to me for a month and I used them and got some much needed sleep .
      they are finished now and so far I have managed to get to sleep without them and my T hasn't got any better .
      Not sure how this is working but ill take it !!!!!!!

As an answer to your question about clapping hand this does bother me to but on the most part I try to avoid really noisy situations without been over protective . If you don't need to take sleeping pills to get to sleep then don't , I`ve heard if done for too long your body looses the ability to fall asleep naturally, not sure if this is true but it makes some sense. My T does bother me during the day when I'm at work but I will go through periods where I will realise I wasn`t aware of it , only for small periods of time but it`s something .

Really one day at a time kind of thing I guess like many of us here and hopefully in time it will get less bothersome ,if I could go back to how things were 2 months ago that would be great , not sure if this spike is here to stay or if its gonna pack its bags and bugger off !

I ride MTB and find exercise does help to take my mind off it even if its only for an hour or two .

I hope this helps , just seems our situations are quite similar .