Got Drunk, Woke Up with Tinnitus, Lost Sense of Smell, It's Been a Year Now

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by SorenKGaard, Dec 30, 2017.

1. SorenKGaard

SorenKGaard Member

Tinnitus Since:
      12/30/206
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Alcohol? Not sure.
      Last new years, I got drunk and woke up with a ringing in my head, lost my sense of smell, and music plays in my head almost constantly . I also threw up that night a few times.

My sense of smell began coming back, but everything smelled the same (like cheese). Now it is finally starting to work more (but not completely). Some things don't smell the same, but some things smell normal.

So to my tinnitus...it's not too loud, I can usually only hear it in a silent room. When I am up and about, doing things, it's gone. But in an empty room, it's there. It's not in any particular ear. It's not worse on any side. It's just IN my head. It's just a high pitched hum. It never goes away. I can make it worse by having a really hectic or stressful day. It returns to its normal pitch in the morning when I wake up.

It's almost as if my mind knows it's annoying and tries to tune it out. I have music repeatedly playing in my head now, usually the last thing I listened to, or a catchy tune.. When I focus my mind off the music, I can usually hear the tinnitus hum again.

I went to several doctors and neurologists, who did every test in the book. It all looks fine.

My history...

I used to take klonopin at work for stress, and I drank alcohol 1-2 times a week. This could be considered binge drinking, since I would get drunk. Eventually I decided to quit, and I cut out the klonopin completely, and then eventually the alcohol. I tapered off these drugs, and I started to show seizure symptoms near the end, as withdrawal from these drugs is extremely dangerous. Eventually I had come off them and was back to normal.

My doctor said I had low thyroid output, and was placed on levothyroxine for a while. They took me off it after a few weeks.

About 6 months later, I decided to drink on New Years. Then I woke up, ringing in ear, sense of smell completely messed up. It's been permanent ever since (one year).

I am hoping one day someone can tell me what happened to me.

2. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Maybe last year you got drunk and hit your head.
      Have a nice glass of something and relax this year and hope a better year for you.
      Love glynis