Got Tinnitus a Month Ago — Started Shortly After Taking Pseudoephedrine

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Ross Lavigne, Dec 2, 2019.

1. Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      meds or warm water in ear
      Been lurking here for a couple weeks and decided to join, I'm 23 and it started out with my left ear being blocked a little bit so I put eardrops in and when that didn't work I tried hot water, but at the same time my doctor also gave me some shit called pseudoephedrine and the ringing started shortly after taking that so not quite sure what set it off.

First 2 weeks I felt like killing myself when I saw there's no cure but been taking diazepam and seeing that there is some stuff hopefully coming out soon that might help cure us of this. My tinnitus is definitely worse at night and really takes over when I'm a quiet room so been sleeping with a fan on lately. Got referred to an ENT so waiting on that hoping they can figure out what caused it. :huganimation:

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. JohnAdams
      Festive

JohnAdams Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Aspirin Toxicity/Possibly Noise
      Try Tinnitus Mix. Go to the thread called "I invented a sound that knocked out my tinnitus."

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I'll check it out thanks, my doctor told me to take betahistine which I read is mostly for Meniere's but he said it has a 50/60 percent chance of working but didn't do anything for me.

4. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Is your tinnitus loud? High pitched?

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's kind of weird and i think maybe it differs to what room I'm in, like in the living room it feels more of like a hissing/static.

But in my bedroom and late at night it's like a ringing. Not sure what the pitch is but I can hear it over a fan on the lowest volume. The reason I keep it at the lowest is because I don't wanna get used to having to keep the fan at full blast in order to get to sleep.

Before I had this I hated sleeping in silence anyways.

6. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I highly advise you to start taking turmeric supplements in high doses 3 times a day with meals and try to sleep with that Tinnitus Mix on at night. When you take the turmeric try and do it right before bed.

I am not a doctor.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I could have a word with my doctor about turmeric supplements and see what he says, or the ENT, whichever comes first, will see about the Tinnitus Mix thing , my parents sleep in the room next to me so wouldn't want to keep them up or anything (although they are heavy sleepers).

I remember the exact moment I started hearing sounds, it was when I was beside my PC fan, and I turned it off to make sure and I could still hear it so I went downstairs scared shitless to see if it was the room. I did wear earphones sometimes but it would only ever be one of them in my right ear, and I think I only have tinnitus in my left. If it is in my right it is fairly low.

8. JohnAdams
      Festive

Tinnitus Since:
      May 1st 2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Your doctors will have no idea about turmeric. Tinnitus Mix uses headphones.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sweet I checked it out and saw there's only minor side effects apart from one guy who experienced a dangerous abnormal heart rhythm.

Will talk to my family about it, thanks for the advice.

10. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ross Lavigne
      Hurting

Ross Lavigne Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/10/2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      update: I don't know if i'm habituating or if it's getting better but for the last 3 days i can really only hear it at night and even then it's not that difficult to get to sleep. since i got it i stopped using headphones/earphones and i used to drink monsters daily and i haven't had one for like 1 month and a week now.

if anything spikes it would probably be alcohol or putting earphones in my ear but i will try both of those again to see if it was a one off thing