Gradual Tinnitus Increase in Office

Discussion in 'Support' started by Thongjy, Mar 11, 2015.

1. Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Anyone have this following trend on your T?

Wake up with low tolerable T which can easily be ignored and drive to office.

When reach office and sit in front of computer, T gradually increase.
      I am doing a desk bound job using laptop with external monitor.
      The increase is very gradual

My office is rather quiet except people talking here and there and my colleague next table turning on a small 7 inch table fan occasional. The fan is also rather quiet just with a little bit of humming.

Typically at the end of work before knocking off, my T will be rather loud but not very loud, just comparatively louder than in the morning.

Things to note that sometimes at the end of the day it might be low and not always louder.
      However, the chances of being loud at the end of the day is most likely when I start my day in the morning with already a loud T (mine T can be sometimes loud in the morning but typically quite low)

How many of you have this issue? What could be the cause of this increase? The fan? Or another weird thought is the EMF signals from the Wifi or cellular radiation?

• Agree Agree x 1
    2. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You're sitting in front of a computer all day.

Even if you're being very diligent and doing everything right with your posture all the time, being seated at a desk is an unnatural position that can compress various nerves and vascular structures.

I would be a lot more suspicious of that, than EMF/wifi. You're probably completely immersed in EMF and wifi transmissions when you're at home sleeping in your bed, too.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Can I know in detail when seated which nerves are being compressed?

4. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      A lot of that might depend on your body type, what your posture looks like, and what your furniture looks like. You could think about any aches/pains you have, and how you sit throughout the day, and try to figure out where your problems are.

My neck and upper right back hurt a lot and have many muscle trigger points in them. I don't think that's causing my tinnitus, but it's not helping, either, and all those sensory nerves go through the neck.

Are you able to take a few days off sometime, and go out into the country far away from all the electronic stuff? That's probably the quickest way to figure out if any of it is having any effect on you.

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      Anyone notice your T increase due to subtle or moderate fan noise or from Aircon duct?

What is the characteristics of such sound that can aggravate T? Why other sounds don't aggravate as much?

6. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yes those sounds drive my T up and irritate my ears. Some people use such sounds to mask so I'm not sure.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Thongjy
      Balanced

Thongjy Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unsure
      What is the science behind those sounds? Is it the frequency or the loudness that cause it?

8. yaom

yaom Member

Tinnitus Since:
      dont know
      Being in front of a computer most of the day is not natural, technology is truly killing us

even though you exercise good posture, sitting down is unnatural to the spine, your blood circulation is slowed considerably, your eyes don't exercise because they're constantly set on a computer screen, you muscles adjust themselves to whatever position they're in making you stiffer....

have in mind the human body was designed for hunting and gathering... we were designed to walk, carry loads, build things, be on the move... not to sit in front of computers!

Since the creation of smart phones and computers... doctor offices have seen a huge increase in patients with chronic neck, back pain, arthritis, migraines, eye issues have become epidemic!

Technology is truly our own worst enemy!

I think your tinnitus increases because you're in a quiet environment for such a long period of time, ask your boss if he/she lets you mask the sound with some headphones here and there (explain your situation) maybe he/she will let you wear headphones with some masking sound!

9. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown

I have this exact same issue, where the T gradually increases in the quietness of my work space (from softer white noise, to loud hiss, to low pitch, to intense loud pitch). I am also sitting most of the day except to go get lunch. I also notice that my T gradually increases when I am sitting trying to relax elsewhere (on sofa or bed on slanted backrest) when it is quiet (except for fridge/vent noise).

Is this mostly due to the position issue of sitting (I have somatic T)? Or, is it the brain trying to fill in the silence?

Will a standing desk help?

10. Tex

Tex Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2008
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Job stress??

11. Lilah
      Mellow

Lilah Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      No, I get the gradual increase even when I am sitting and relaxing.

12. Mister Muso
      No Mood

Mister Muso Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2011 / April 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music
      I have this issue - wearing headphones is a problem because I have hyperacusis. My boss lets me work at home 2 days out of 5 which is good of him but I may need to increase that. It's only 10:50am and already my T is like a dentist's drill. Even the coffee machine or someone talking next to me makes it louder :(