Greetings from a Long Time "Lurker" :)

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by glennr, May 3, 2015.

1. glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Greetings from Norway!

Im not to good at introductions (or writing english for that matter), but here goes :)

I am 30 and a father of 2 lovely boys. Have a steady job which i love almost as much as my two children and fiance! They are the ones to thank that im still here and offcourse the success stories from this forum has been a good place to be and read when i had it tough. "It will get better!"

So i got T abit over 2 years ago now. I have absolutely no idea how i got it. It started with a very mild ringing(like a low tune) in my right ear which i noticed one night. It was so low i could easily mask it by just having the window up or something on low volume ( i always liked to sleep with a podcast up or something). Offcourse when everything around me was quiet i could hear it and after a few weeks i decided to take a trip to the ENT.

At the ENT it was discovered that i had very low vitamin D and the ENT said 100% certain that this was the reason for the ringing in my right ear. He said that after a few month with sun and vitamin D pills the ringing would just dissapear.. oh how wrong he was :p

So troughout the year the mild ringing would increase, it would also be accompanied by a higher frequent pitch sound(like hissing or a dentist drill). Offcourse i went back to the ENT and took some hearing tests where i was told i had better hearing than most babies. He also still believed that i would be better after getting more sun and vitamin D!... I also talked with my doctor and went trough MRI's etc where nothing was found.

So after one year with increasing and several sounds (High and low pitch) in my right ear a new "tone" would appear. It was a low swinging sound like humming ("wub wub wub") which wasnt frequent but would come and go. it was now quite a cruel orcestra in my ear.

Offcourse i was on the edge of crazy and to top it off another humming sound would appear in my left ear also. This sound was more like a car running in neutral (steady humming). The high pitch sound i had in my right ear also got more "centered" in my head. This went on for about another year and it got worse again.. from nowhere the high pitch sound moved to my left ear so i had 30% left ear and 70 % right ear T and some inbetween and offcourse increasing in volume.. Its hard to describe but wow. Every time the T changed or a new sound appear it hit me like a truck.

Over 2 years have passed and its still one hell of a ride that i wouldent wish uppon my worst enemy. The sounds in my head is one thing, but ive also gotten to be very sensitive of high pitch sounds which is just as bothersome as the T.

Well thats a tiny bit about myself and alot about my T.. I have had good days and i have had (realy)bad days. i dident have any big trouble the first year getting used to my T with all the sounds, but after it went from one to both ears i am now in a more "tricky" position and its hard to remind myself "that it will get better" again..

The one thing i hope for the most is that my T would be "stable". that the sounds that are there would just not change or introduce more sounds. Its very hard to find comfort when my experiance the last 2 years is that its just getting "worse".. its realy, realy tough. Will it just get worse?

I would love to hear from people with a similar experience? Or just experiance at all :)

I think it would be nice if it just went away as quick as i got it.. and since it came from nothing it might aswel disappear as nothing! :p

Anyways, thanks for reading:) and i want to share a BIG thank you to all the positive people here! You are life savers!

Sincerely

Glenn

• Hug Hug x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    2. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      You have our empathy for what you went through. Sometimes new T is just very unpredictable and it sure knows how to scare its victims by morphing continuously with new sounds, pitch or loudness. I wish your T will settle down over time to give you some stability. It is often our reaction to the changes that give us the anxiety and mental suffering. If only we can stop reacting to T, then T will be disarmed to scare us or hurt us. Dr. Nagler's Letter to a tinnitus sufferer often reminds me that reaction matters. Try read through it so see if you can learn some wisdom.

http://www.ata.org/nagler-letter-to-tinnitus-sufferer

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you for the reply Billie :) I have read alot from dr. nagler also from these forums, lots of helpful reading!
      There is litle to no help at all here in Norway for people with T and very litle information from ENT's or doctors in general, it where and is a frightening journey to take alone.

It does indeed get better over time, this is correct. But noone told me that my T could duplicate itself to my other ear or bring in new sounds.. atleast not after 2 years. And then you start to search for answers again on how and why.. Its a short road sometimes back to a "bad circle" which quickly can worsen things.

Would be nice if somone could just invent a pill that rid us from our T! :D

4. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Glennr,

Welcome. I'm just entering my 2nd year and my T has also increased over the last few weeks. I still struggle like many others, but have low T days once in awhile. Seems that's the roller coaster ride everyone experiences in the first few years or so. Our brains have not gotten used to the noise yet, so it remains in the foreground, not in the background.

Have you thought of seeing a Cognitive Behavioral Therapist? Do you take any supplements like NAC, calcium, magnesium, zinc, fish oil, vinpocetine? You might want to try them, one at a time, to see if they work? Also, for sleep, try L-theanine, melatonin or 5HTP.

Yes, T is something you would love to get rid of and it seems like it's becoming epidemic, due to all the loud noises and stresses we have to endure in our world. We are all hoping, someone will come up with a cure sooner than later!

Until then, do the best you can to mask out T and keep busy. Eat healthy, excercise and have hope.

God bless,

Sailboardman

5. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      Kindly give the observation s on ur t
      Diet does it has any effect

Noise effects
      When u sleep does it spike

Vit d does impact what's ur level

6. billie48
      Sunshine

billie48 Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2009
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Well it is being worked on now by the 'pill' folks. AM101 and Autifony are some of those. We also have a lot of discussion here about 'Trobalt' on TT. Read up the Treatment Forum for them.

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you. Yes there is alot of "getting used to" and the brain surely works overtime every now and then. I think i am abit lucky that i usually seem to "get used to" the new sounds and levels relatively quick, or so it has been for the past years. But offcourse as i wrote above its very easy for me to get really stressed when new sounds or levels suddenly comes and when it dont seem to "stabilize" it can be frightening.

I have thought about seeing a CBT, but i end up thinking that since i havent gone crazy yet i might survive abit longer without:LOL: Though i have read alot of positive experiances from other people so its nothing i will rule out yet.

About supplements, i only take vitamin D since i tend to allways be very low on that, but i am from the "cold dark north" so i have been told its quiet normal:) I have thought about trying other supplements and surely will try some of the ones you mention.

Sleeping is not a problem yet, i usually sleep with a podcast or radio on on my mobile phone. In a strange way i have sort of "befriended" my T in my right ear.. so if the tunes in the middle of my head gets to bothersome i just focus on my T in my right ear and quickly im off to meet the sandman:) If only the T would had remained in my right ear i would have been alot more calm i think, but having it in both ears sets me back abit.

Thank you for the kind words :) Hope is indeed important and so is this forum with supportive people!

Hello! I havent tried any diets yet, though i have stopped all consumption of nicotine and it did not have any effect on my T. It would be very interesting to try out a diet that would have a positive effect on T.

When i sleep i dont notice my T. Usually when i wake up my T rarely bothers my, though i hear it and it "goes up" to normal level when i get up i think.

Vitamin D does impact? Do you mean in a good or bad way? I dont know my level, but i can hear it all the time and when im around noise my T allways try to be louder than the noise around me.

The thing i notice the most after getting T is that i get alot of "preassure drops" in my ears. They are very scary since everything goes quiet and a realy large sound stays for 30sec to several minutes.

Sounds almost to good to be true! But im not sure i personally would dare to take a pill before it would be 100% guarenteed to work, im just to scared of making it even worse. I will surely read more about it. Thanks Billie :)

8. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      I had hyperacusis and treated it with keppra. Maybe consider trying it? God knows we need more people trying it.

9. sanjay doodani
      Amused

sanjay doodani Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Frequent viral infection ENT, loud music, BP sugar
      Improving vit d with cal mag zinc Nac clonozepam in night gives more good days

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      My H got better to the point that just the highest pitches are the worst now(or when in crowds), so im hoping it will further improve without pills:unsure:. Thanks for the tip anyways!

The suplements you mention sounds interesting, i will definitely try some of them out and see if there is any improvement:)

11. Danny Boy
      Cheerful

Danny Boy Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Sorry to hear that mate. Maybe try keppra if you can get ahold of it.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I think i wrote the sentence abit wrong, what i ment was that im hoping the H will continue to get better without needing to take pills:)

13. erik
      Cool

erik Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/15/2012 or earlier?
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Most likely hearing loss
      Welcome Glenn! And thanks for your awesome message. It can be difficult to be positive in the face of T but you have yet again shown that it can be done! Your H can get better on its own. Mine was excruciating and painful for months but it did improve.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Thank you Erik :) It sure can be difficult, i remember having trouble listening to forks and knives hitting the plate when at dinner, it can be absolutely devastating. But it got better, and i hope it will continue to improve!

Im hoping the T also will stabilize. Im having alot of "preassure drops" now day in my ears(ear pop?) which sends off an imense ringing tone in the ear it affects.. Anyone else that notice this "phenomenon"? Its gotten abit frequent the past weeks, anyone have any tips how to "prevent" it?

15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      glennr
      Wishful

glennr Member

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Hello again! So over a Year and a half has gone by and it's still quite a ride with this T. My T has worsened quite abit and it's so many new tones and volumes in both ears it's difficult to say which ones the worst.

The most frightening part isn't actually the tones, but lately as of the past 3 months I'm also getting "bleeps" and "bloops" in my left ear. A mid range tone that comes quickly and fades in and out in a fraction of a second. They are quite frequent and 24/7 I'm not sure what to do now, it's sure taking its toll:(

Have anyone experienced something similar, or am i just really unlucky?

I have been to countless of ENT's and went trough all the hearing tests possible. My hearing is just fine and there's is nothing to do is the same answer from all the doctors, as I'm sadly well aware off.