Greetings from New York, New to Tinnitus and Hoping to Recover

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LizaLiza, Feb 19, 2015.

1. LizaLiza

LizaLiza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Hi Everyone. I have decided not to give power to Tinnitus so I will refer to it as.."T" or "The T" but never "My T". I think words carry a lot of weight and to claim it as yours gives it too much importance and ownership... hey it's not something I want so I will keep T impersonal- :rolleyes:

I kinda want to see it as an experience. Hopefully a short experience. I have had it for about 7 months or so, since summer of 2014. I have done much research online since then. I have cried, had sleepless nights...all that good stuff! Right now I have a friend's friend who had it for many years and "cured it" however you cannot expose your self to loud noise after the ringing stops. She is taking me under her wing and will assist me so I am hopeful. It is not one therapy that helped her but several. Hers was sound induced as was mine...damn ear headphones and listening to music with them. I will be glad to share info as I receive it. I promised the universe to share the info in hope of helping others and myself. I am not sure that it will work for me to begin with but hey...I've got nothing to lose.

One thing that does help lessen the volume is to watch your sugar intake. I also give myself neck massages with a broom stick, just oil your neck with coconut oil and roll the broom stick over the side and back of your neck. I also partially cover the stick with electrical tape so as to make is smoother since wood absorbs the oil. Take deep breaths, listen to soft music or pink noise in the background while doing this.
      It's a start, and well it calms me down and in doing so subsides the T. I am also avoiding any loud bars, no concerts and the thought of moving away from this noisy city to live in a quieter more remote area is sounding more ideal to me.

I send loving thoughts to everyone on this forum (((Hugs)))

~ L

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Hug Hug x 2
    2. Rube
      Fine

Rube Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      7/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud shit
      Hi @LizaLiza welcome and greetings. Please let us know if your friends assistance is helpful!

3. Sailboardman
      Frustrated

Sailboardman Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/21/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Sensorineural hearing loss right ear.
      Welcome LizaLiza! I'm a "New Yaker" too. I now live in sunny, but currently cool Florida. I live on 2 quiet acres and you might want to reconsider moving to a quieter place? It's killer on T. Stay In the noisy city. I miss that beautiful, 24/7/365, NYC buzz!

Sailboardman

• Helpful Helpful x 1
    4. MCarrie
      Gloomy

MCarrie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      not sure
      Have you seen a doctor about it? Just curious...

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LizaLiza

LizaLiza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      I will be in March. I am thinking the Dr will just say, nuttin much I can do to help the ring but heeerrrre is my bill!

No one will care more about your hearing other than you.

However I do want to see if I have wax buildup and hearing loss and if so to what extent.

6. Matt01

Matt01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      28/11/14
      What is your tinnitus like?

7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LizaLiza

LizaLiza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      I cannot hear it over a running faucet. It spikes and changes with noise and ofcourse when stressed. I was ill with 101 temp recently but it stayed the same.

8. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @LizaLiza if I were you I would go to an ENT and audiologist and see to have a complete audio audiological evaluation including the following: full puretone audiogram, Speech Audiometry, LDL, tympanometry, acoustic reflex, and a DPOAE/and or TOAE. They should remove all of the cerum(debris) before the testing (with a safe tool, not suction or syringe).
      These tests should give your audiologist a good picture of your overall ear health.
      Good luck!

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      LizaLiza

LizaLiza Member

Tinnitus Since:
      July 2014
      Hey thanks for all the helpful info. I am absolutely afraid of taking the acoustic reflex test. Look it up on here and you will see how people's T has gotten worst with it as it is rather loud and they want you to hear the sounds through ear ear buds. What was your experience with this test? I just might create a separate post asking people what their experience with this acoustic reflex test was like.

10. SoulStation
      No Mood

SoulStation Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / Possible Medication
      @LizaLiza . I promise you it will not hurt you. i am sensitive and wouldn't say the AR test is safe if it wasn't. All tests are safe. My Expierience was not unpleasant in the slightest.
      I promise.