Greetings from Tinnitus Town

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by enro, Jun 19, 2014.

1. enro

enro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      Hi everyone,

Just wanted to introduce myself. Glad to have found this group; it's been a rough last few weeks. I've lurked on the boards here and it seems like a very caring and supportive bunch.

I developed tinnitus on May 22, 2014. Ironically that very week I decided to stop using Q-Tips to clean my ears because of all the risks I'd read about. I don't know if there's any connection.

Anyway, that day I woke up with a muffled feeling in my left ear. Didn't notice the ringing right away -- just a kind of clogged feeling. Later that day I became aware of it; a kind of hissing sound that wouldn't turn off.

I went to see a doctor who checked my ears and didn't see anything unusual. She told me to come back in a few days if the ringing persisted. A week later I did just that and she scheduled an appointment with an audiologist. At the audiologist, I did a hearing test and was checked for any abnormalities. According to my hearing test, nothing was wrong. I was told that I'd just have to cope with it for now, but that if it was still there in a month, to call back.

At this point I was getting a bit anxious. I went back to my doctor who prescribed antibiotics (this visit coincided with me feeling feverish and rundown). My doc was convinced that it was some kind of sinus thing, and that the antibiotics should clear it all up, but to give it time.

It's been a few days since I finished the meds, and my T is still there. Occasionally louder (louder isn't exactly the word, if you know what I mean; maybe I'm just more aware of it). The plugged or stuffed feeling comes and goes. That kind of worries me more than the ringing.

I also went to see an ENT. Biggest waste of time. He checked my ears, said nothing seemed wrong, and offered to prescribe Xanax. I refused. I asked about Prednisone, which I'd read had helped some. He didn't want to prescribe that, and he said I'd just have to live with tinnitus. Wish I'd never gone to see him.

So I'm going back to my regular doc tomorrow to update her and see where I stand. I'm looking into some treatment options that I found on this board; creating tones and listening to them, etc. I also got the app Tinnitus Pro for my iPhone, which plays music and filters out a frequency you choose. So that's where I'm at.
      The T is worse in a quiet room; louder when I'm not busy or distracted; and seems to be in the 4kHz range. And again, the stuffed feeling is not always there, but when it is, I get a little anxious.

I'm trying to treat with supplemental Zinc, Niacin, B12, and I'm open to any suggestions. Thanks everyone and good luck. Hopefully we can all beat this.

Enro.

2. AndyCGaveMeT
      Cheerful

AndyCGaveMeT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Hey man, welcome to the forums.

Sorry to hear about your entrance into T Town. it's a rough area but the locals are friendly.

When I went to see a doctor it was a complete waste of time. My suspicion is that the doctors know they can't do anything so want to get you out as quick as possible to free up resources, but really, in my case I would have preferred a referral to a psychologist or a psychiatrist. My mind needed working out.

In my unprofessional opinion, don't worry too much about treatment, there's not a lot that can be done. Don't try to fight the tinnitus; if it goes away it goes away. If not, don't worry, because over time it will become less and less of a problem for you. (when I first had it I thought I would never be the same. I barely think about it now.) Talk to some sympathetic people about it if you need to work through the emotions, keep calm, and try to focus on the good things in life. Tinnitus ain't gonna change a thing.

The plugged and stuffed feeling may be the ear closing to attempt to repair the damage. If the ENT didn't flag it up I doubt it's anything to worry about.

Let us know how it all goes.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      enro

enro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      AndyC,

Thanks for your comments, it's good to have that perspective. I think I'm over the worst of it now - knock on wood -- in that, it's still there, but I'm not as anxious about it. It's more of an annoyance. I just hope it doesn't get any worse, and that hopefully, it will go away.

Curious as to what you mean by the ear trying to heal itself -- but no, both ENTs and docs didn't see any thing to comment about in the actual ear itself.

Thanks again!

4. Jay M
      Thinking

Jay M Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/4/14
      Waking up with T 12 weeks ago is the rudest awakening I've ever experienced.

Starters Priorities List
      • Try get good sleep at night by low volume masking and 3mg of melatonin. Good sleep is so important!
      • Reduce stresses.
      • Reduce caffeine, salt and sugar intake.
      • Exercise
      • Stay busy
      • Avoid loud and noisy places without hearing protection

5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      enro

enro Member

Tinnitus Since:
      May 2014
      Thanks Jay.