Greetings

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Hammerhead, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Hammerhead
      Musical

Hammerhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud rock bands and concerts
      Just joined this site- my tinnitus is interfering a lot with conversation with my kids. Blood pressure meds may relate to the increase. Also have occasional "wooshing" heartbeat noise when trying to sleep on my side.
      Anyone found help with these tinnitus supplements?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, Hammerhead, and welcome!

Your situation is similar to mine. I had mild tinnitus for years, and then I took a blood pressure drug back in 2010. My tinnitus became very loud, and within about 2 weeks, I had a whooshing sound, too. My whooshing, however, is constant.

I'm doing a lot better now, and what has worked for me has been:
      1. Getting off the blood pressure meds, and controlling B.P. with exercise, supplements, and diet.
      2. Getting enough sleep, which was very hard for quite awhile.
      3. Taking supplements, such as magnesium, fish oil, niacin, B vitamins, etc.
      4. The passage of time.

What supplements are you considering trying? Many of us here are taking supplements, and someone here may have an opinion on what you're considering.

Take care,
      Karen

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      Welcome Hammerhead!! Glad you joined us here at TT!! :welcomesignanimation:

Karen's advice is spot on (always is!). Some supplements are a complete waste of time and $$, while others work for certain people in different ways. I have been dealing with pretty severe chronic tinnitus for over a year now, and have tried a ton of different treatments, supplements, etc... (and spent a lot of $$). Really what has worked for me is sticking to the basics; getting a lot of exercise, eating right, keeping myself centered and relaxed, getting sleep, and having a peaceful determination that I am not going to let T rule my life!

I hope this forum of people who know exactly what you are going through is a great resource for you (as it has been for me!!) I pray you get some relief and find some answers to your questions here on TT!!

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hammerhead
      Musical

Hammerhead Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud rock bands and concerts
      Hi Karen and Jeff,
      Thanks for the helpful advice. Quite convicting, really.
      I've been getting an average of <7 hours sleep per night for ~5 years.
      I weaned off the Lisinopril, but had digestive problems with the garlic supplements I tried, and BP went to borderline high (~138/82, pulse 58)- so I went back on the Lisinopril, and the tinnitus (which had quieted some) increased again.
      Do you know of any good articles on nutrients/ herbal supplements that lower BP?
      Thanks again for your concern and help. This is why I joined- because the replies sound so caring and suggestions so helpful.

5. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @Hammerhead,

I'm glad we've been able to help, and I hope you are having a quiet day today, so far!

I found a list of herbal supplements that may (or may not) lower blood pressure, on Web MD:
      http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplements/condition-1706-High blood pressure.aspx?diseaseid=1706&diseasename=High blood pressure&source=0

I'm taking some of these supplements, including: Fish oil, magnesium, COQ10, and flaxseed. I think they may be helpful, but it takes time for them to build up in your system to be able to tell any difference. Within the last 6 months, I've also been taking a supplement I read about online, called "CardiTone". It seems to be working for me. It keeps my diastolic rate and pulse rate consistently low, and mostly keeps my systolic rate on track, too. You can order it from Amazon or other supplement suppliers, such as I-Herb.

If you're taking a blood pressure drug, of course it's best to check with your doctor if you're trying anything new. I'm just sharing what has worked for me. Exercise and diet seem to help, too.

Best wishes,
      Karen

6. Jeff M.
      Breezy

Jeff M. Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Oct. 2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Idiopathic
      As usual, I agree with Karen HH. COQ10 & Fish Oil have really good clinical data on reducing BP. LOW to NO SODIUM diet!!! Not as fun as it use to be, but can seriously help lower BP! EXERCISE!!!!! And of course, lower stress (I know it's tough with T!). Find techniques, breathing, mediation, sound therapies to lower your stress!!

I echo Karen, consult your doc before going off any BP med!!! Do you have a BP monitor at home ??

Peace Bro!!!

• Agree Agree x 1