Gunshot About Two Decades Ago and Concert Recently Causing Ringing

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by Kes, Oct 28, 2017.

1. Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      Hi,

I’m new to this forum. Here is my background: I am 38 years old, in my childhood I played occasionally with firecrackers and my ears was temporary ringing. Further, as a teenager I hunted without ear protection, also causing temporary ringing and in particular my left ear. Very stupid indeed:(

At the age of 18-20 I experienced a very mild tinnitus I think, and my left ear felt more sensitive to certain sounds. After that I have used ear muffs during hunting and ear plugs at concerts (with few exeptions for the latter).

One year ago I used an music ear plug with filter at a rock concert, and I felt some discomfort due to the high sound. Little bit muffed feeling afterwards, I thought it was due to bad quality of the plugs. After weeks or months I recovered back to my mild "baseline" tinnitus.

Three weeks ago I went to a rock concert with good quality music earplugs with filter (SNR 16db). Despite the ear plugs I felt some discomfort, in particular my left ear. Unfortunately I was trusting the ear plugs and did not move further away from the sound. After this concert I have had a much stronger ringing, in particular on my left ear, also the sensitivity towards certain sounds are worse. It’s like it is ringing at higher frequency in addition to the ringing I had before. After reading about SNR db I understand that 16db was too low protection for this rock concert.

I am seeing the doctor first coming week to get an ENT appointment. I find it easy to describe the tinnitus. My mild «baseline» tinnitus at both ears, being there for c. 20 years, is lower frequency. But after the last concert I’ve got a much louder and higher frequency tinnitus in addition, in particular the left ear (closer to the sound of cicadas, although not so pulsating).

What I find difficult to explain is the feeling in the left ear (been like that c. 10-20 years, but now worse). Certain sounds are a kind of painful, e.g. bird call, tapping water, ignition of gas oven or crushing potato ship bag, which gives a split second distorted sound. A bit similar to water in the ear, giving a popping or ‘plopping’ feeling, almost like a frequent tapping on my eardrum (although only for split second...).

To sum up, my mild low frequency tinnitus + distorted sound at the left ear has been there for almost 20 years, now recently it became much worse after a concert. The high frequency ringing and more sensitivity to certain sounds it's a bit similar to the feeling I got in my ears during childhood when I was swimming under water (both in terms of the muffled feeling and the ringing).

Since it is about three weeks since the concert I suspect that I have brought the tinnitus to new level and that I will not recover. It so frustrating since I used ear protection.

Regards Kes

2. Phendran
      Benevolent

Phendran Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Welcome to the fold.

If your tinnitus got worse at the concert even though you had hearing protection, it most likely means that there was some sort of aggravated damage building up somehow.

My tinnitus too, got significantly worse after a concert where I was using earplugs(a week after, though).
      I have no real idea of how any of that works, and no medical professionals I've talked too seem to have any idea either.

I hope that ENT you'll be seeing can at least offer some advice.

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      Yes, I agree. But I should have known the importancy of the SNR rating. The concert was likely to be 120db, standing in the front with peaks to ~130, and protection of 16db gives exposure to db above 100db...

4. Bobby B
      Fine

Bobby B Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Large caliber rifles&machine guns, +30 years of loud clubs
      the sound sensitivity - H ..due to nerve damage will improve over (long) time..but the T may be there to stay unless you are very lucky I would try a course of steroids although after 3 weeks its not going to do much
      And SNR only takes the best numbers from the low mid and high NRR will be even less

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Creative Creative x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      I would like to add that I got the cold (runny nose, sore throat, and little bit sneezing and cough) one week after the last noise exposure. I still have symptoms of cold, and I have one last hope that the high pitch sound in addition to my mild tinnitus is caused by this and not by the sound exposure...

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It could be Tonic tensor tympani syndrome (TTTS).

7. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I almost fully recovered from a mild T 4 month from the onset from loud show. But like many people, I was stupid enough to think earplugs were good enough, so I attended a outdoor concert 3 months ago. Since then my T has increased quite abit and is always there in the background.

I am still hopeful it will eventually go back down, but its very depressing to know you almost were free of T, only to be worse than when it first started.

8. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      I have been to ENT today. They did not find anything wrong. The audiogram was also very good, no sign of hearing damage:)

She agreed that I have T and H in addition on my left ear. Since I had no signs of hearing damage she said I had good chance to recover back to the «normal» mild tinnitus. Well I could hope...

She also will forward me to a spesialist to start treatment.

9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      @newbieT What kind of earplugs did you use?

10. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      About 1 month has elapsed, H is back to normal, although the T is very annoying. I will go to a new ENT on tuesday to get a second opinion.

11. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      3M 29dB NRR foam plugs.

12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      I'm surprised that such high NRR rated foam plugs were not sufficient. Are you sure they were fitted properly? See link:
      3M™ E-A-R™ Fitting Foam Earplugs -...

13. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Kes
      Confused

Kes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Unknown
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting and loud music
      Yesterday I got a second opinion from another ENT. The audiogram confirmed the first ENT. Very good, no sign of hearing damage, although a small drop was found for 6-7 kHz (but still within the normal range).

I believe that the T has changed slightly, but I'm not sure. Maybe I have started to habituate some...

14. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I fitted it well. The problem is it does not block low frequency sound very well. I actually did a write up on this issue if you look at my past posts. a foam earplug will attenuate 20dB at best for a 60hz sound. And a typical concert peaks around 110 dB. So even with the perfect fit you are exposed to 90dB for hours.

For most normal people that is fine but if you already have T, that level of sound could have consequences