Habituation & Habituation of Perception

Discussion in 'Support' started by Chris Holland, Feb 5, 2018.

1. Chris Holland
      Movie buff

Chris Holland Member

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Life
      Hi Guys,

Much has been said about habituation, whether you like it or hate it seemingly it's the best option available right now for making a ''full recovery''. Being barely three months in with my tinnitus I'm still having a lovely old time with my new uninvited guest and I'm just curious to other peoples experiences here and ideas on habituation. For me I believe habituation is possible but on the bad days it still seems like something make believe. Then I speak to people who have gone through the process and I realise it is real but it is a long and difficult process. What struck me from the different stories of people I spoke to who have habituated is that where some people habituated but still ''hear'' their tinnitus constantly others claim to have habituated to a point that they also habituated to the perception of it, meaning they only hear it when they think about it or when it is louder than their usual baseline ...

William Shatner had this to say about his habituation:
      Comic con 2012 MTL - William Shatner speaks...

So for the people on here who have habituated how do you experience it?
      And to the people aiming to habituate what do you expect it to be like?

PS: I am well aware not everybody here likes the notion of habituation because it might take attention away from a ''medical'' cure, no need to repeat this on this thread, I am a supporter of finding a cure as well.

• Like Like x 1
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    2. threefirefour
      Peeping tom

threefirefour Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      5/15/16
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      140dB B R U H moment
      I'll bump.

Did you now that ë̆̇͑͆̓͋͐ͧ͑ͪ҉̫̘̭̼̖̱̥ë̛̱͚̬͕̼̞̟̝̿͐̋͊͐ͫ̏̕͘ĕ̼͉̬̟̬͓̠͍̲̮̝̩̗̬̹ͫ̐̐̏͌͟͠e̛͇̜͙͎̮͍̹̫̰̩͇̘͂̑ͪ̆ͭ̿̒̌ͪͩ͛ͬ͂̀̚͡͠è̢̗͚̲͔̦̠̯͔̮̹̳̳̰͐́͋̅̌ͨͬ̔̄͂͒͛͗̑̎̂͋͢͟͢͟ͅe̡͑̓̉͋ͯ͆̌ͨ̈́̐ͣͦ̈́ͭ̍̏ͩ̈́͝͝͝͏̥͍̜͕͉̙͍ͅe̸̸̲̦̯͚͛̑͗̈̍͊̅ͮͤ̈́͑ͫ̑͂̌̿͘ê̶̢̥̮̮͚̝͈̲͔̹͛͛ͬ̄̈̓̂͆̍ͦ̈́͂͌̓ͧ́͝eͤ͐̐̑͛ͤ͝͏̭͙͉̥͡e̒̎͗̊͂̎҉̢̳͓͖̖̤̪͙͙̯̬͓͈̘͕͟͝ȩ̠̞̪̰̥̳̜̮͈̼͈̗̝̜̰͐̌̂̄͒̅͊ͧe̾̂͑͂͒̋̍̄͋̉̃̎͝҉̟̣̟͇̥̬̫͍͢͞͡e̸͍͕͙͎͕̅ͫͫ̒̆ͣ̋ͩ̂ͬ͐͐͑̏͜͝ȩ͎̩̳̰̻̱̜͕̯̪̠̀̍ͯ̆̃́̃͋̑̉̍ͮ̆̄ͣ̾͋̔̃́ȅͮ͑̎̄̉͜͟͏̟͍̱̰̥̟̥͈͈͉̘̩̀ę̣̦̙̰̭̪̪̇̀́ͩͪ͑͗͆̇̅ͧͫ̾͘̕ͅe̵̜͎͕̗̖͔̗̙̩͓̫̟̝̼͖ͦ͒ͣ̿ͥ̋͊̿̽̓ͤēͤ̓ͭ́͟͏̛̥̞̲̬̦͇̞̺́e̷ͯ͌̐̀͏̶̧̼̰͇̼̲͕̩̲̥̹̜̩̺̯̤͕͕̼̕e̴̢̙̰̤̲̰͈̦̜̭̝͔͚̦̫̫̪͕͚̎ͯͣ͗̂ͮ̊ͮ̾ͦ̒̏͢ͅe̵͓̘̬ͤͧ͑͟e̵͒ͭ͐̍̿ͦͪͧ͑̚͘͝͏̮̹͙̯̼̝̣
      latest?cb=20151012144151.png

• Funny Funny x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    3. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      I can't imagine how a tinnitus sufferer can hate the concept of habituation, there's something wrong with anyone who can't understand the concept of coming to terms with your tinnitus and living a happy normal life.

I've had the pleasure of habituating several times over the course of the last 3 years, for months at a time I was not aware of the anxiety and depression my tinnitus initially caused but in those times I would spike for months at a time and never understood either the reason for habituation or the reason for the spikes. It can't be duplicated on demand it's an evolution over time.

All I can say with absolute certainty is that it's imperative that you make peace with the reality of tinnitus and learn to enjoy life again. Sadly there's just no other way out at this point. Well there is an alternative and that's medication which for me is not a good option.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Habituation and the habituation process often seems shrouded in mystery to people that are new to tinnitus and this is perfectly understandable. Speak to anyone that is seasoned to tinnitus or a veteran to the condition and their opinion on it will be similar to the comments below. Anyone wanting to read the full post please click on the link.

When a person habituates to tinnitus it means they are able cope with it but this doesn’t mean they will never hear it. Although some people habituate to a level where the tinnitus is rarely heard or stays at a very low level. Whether the tinnitus is silent for periods of time or remains low, mild, moderate or is occasionally intrusive, it doesn’t really matter, because it all means the same thing. When habituation is reached a person will know, because whatever the level it will not bother you. However, like everything there are exceptions and tinnitus is no different. I believe there are some limitations to habituation. As I have previously said the condition comes in many forms and intensities. Some people have variable tinnitus that can fluctuate from silent, mild, moderate and severe. When it is loud and intrusive (severe) and this level is sustained for long periods it can become very debilitating and a person might have to take medication to cope with it, which is usually supplied by their doctor. This level of sustained intrusiveness shouldn’t be confused with a tinnitus spike, which usually returns to baseline within a short period of time.

I want to say that I believe habituation is achievable for most people with time. In some instances a person might need the professional help of a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist, as there are a variety of treatment options available to help one in the habituation process. One should also try to be realistic. There are some people that will accept nothing less than a complete cure from their tinnitus and this is unfortunate, because they could waste a lot of time being miserable.

Habituation can take up to 18 months to achieve for some people or longer. It is a process and for each person it will be different.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/the-habituation-process.20767/

• Like Like x 4
    5. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Mine is like a that very low T and the next day very loud T. Low T for me is only can hear it in silence. Loud is i can hear it over everything. I'm really having a hard time when it's that loud. Driving me nuts. Will I ever habituate to this pattern?

6. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      My tinnitus ranges from: silent, mild, moderate, and severe. It can also reach extremely severe levels. It was so quiet yesterday I could hear a pin drop. As I type it is quite intrusive (loud) I could take my clonazepam but won't. I have my white noise generators but haven't put them on although my sound machine is playing in the background.

See if your can doctor will prescribe you clonazepam but try not to take it too often. It helps some people with severe tinnitus and will reduce it to silence. You could try using white noise generators which will help take away your focus from the tinnitus when it is loud. I use them and find them helpful.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    7. sandra72

sandra72 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      may 2014
      Thank you michael. Yesterday i had also a low day. I felt normal again.

Doesnt it drive you nuts when its loud? May i ask what you hear when its loud and do you hear it over everything?

Thank you

8. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced

I will not lie it can be frustrating. I started reading a new book yesterday evening and getting into it and now my tinnitus is quite intrusive. This means I might not be able to do any reading this evening but I will try. If can't then hopefully tomorrow my tinnitus will be better. I focus on the positives in my life. An example: I can see. I am not disabled and can do everything for myself touch wood and independent. This is what I focus on. I have a roof over my head and not sleeping on the streets - it's freezing cold outside and some people are sleeping rough. Get the picture?

Right now my tinnitus sounds like a very high pitched hissing and I can hear it over everything. I will put my white noise generators on a little later and attempt to do a little reading. Like I said, I focus on the positive. Back in 2008 my tinnitus reached excruciating levels and took me 4 years habituated. My ENT consultant said: I was the 2nd worst tinnitus patient that she had met in all her years of being an Audivestibular Physician. I asked for her opinion on my condition. She said that she would never give up on treating me. It was one of the lowest points in my life.

Michael

• Like Like x 1
    9. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Hi Micheal , just want to ask it seem when I am with my family,everyone talking. My T get worse. I taught there is more background noise it should be less. Thanks

10. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It all depends what originally caused your tinnitus? If it was exposure you loud noise, then you could have hyperacusis? Sensitivity to sound usually means this is the case. It is best to be examined by an ENT doctor and if necessary a referral to a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist who's trained in tinnitus and hyperacusis management.

Michael

11. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Yes, it was from noise exposure. I went to the EnT 4 Different one. Show hearing loss. MRI, blood work all good. I can’t go to a restaurant without my filter earplugs it seem loud for me. The audiologist recommendation hearing aid , just got it. I trying to get them to send me for CBT . I don’t want to loose anymore hearing so I feel I have to protect my ear in a restaurant, crowded place ....etc. That what the audiologist told me.

• Like Like x 1
    12. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    13. Ambassador
      Cool

Ambassador Member

Tinnitus Since:
      June 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      High frequency hearing loss and lifetime noise exposure
      Family relationships can sometimes be stressful and cause some anxiety and perhaps that's what's spiking you and not the actual noise itself.

14. Rajin

Rajin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      9/7/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Hearing loss ,noise
      Thank Just read read the entire post. Walking outdoors, traffic noise etc it good with me it just crowd noise, I will try to go slowly into it. Yes definitely at a party I went and had no problem with my filter ear plug. I measured the noise with my App at 115 DB . Had no issues was fine. Restaurant can be at 90 sometime very crowded, or my app is wrong. Thanks so much to you and everyone here that are so kind and helpful. God Bless.

• Like Like x 1