Habituation: No Action Required?

Discussion in 'Support' started by MattK, Sep 16, 2014.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thanks, despite what it my sound like, I'm not doing well. I pray every moment for strength to carry me through.

2. Telis

Telis Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Yup, I think we are all trying to habituate, but in the process have questions and concerns.

• Like Like x 1
    3. ampumpkin
      Amused

ampumpkin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Onset: 12/2007 Increase: 04/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      2007: Meds(Antidepressant) 2014: Meds(Antibiotics)
      @MattK your attitude, to me, is the starting point... good luck dear xx

4. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Thank you. I am actually starting to feel better. I do get down during the day still, but each day seems to get a little better and not so crippling. I think thinking positively really helps. I try to focus on what I do have in life, rather than what I don't.

Plus, earlier this year, I had a cancer scare (turned out to be nothing) and I'll tell you, that right there put things into perspective for me. I'd much rather have T than cancer!

But dwelling on T, dwelling on how bad it is, dwelling on how there is no actual cure, only hurts us from moving on. I don't really understand why there are some who act like habituation is "a thing of the past"--as if there is a better alternative.

I mean, Dr. Nagler gets more annoyed by a grandfather clock at his sister's than he does his own tinnitus... that's amazing! If he can get there, so can we. But yet, there are some who get angry that he says stuff like that... I think it is great... basically what Dr. Nagler is saying is that his tinnitus bothers him so little that a sound that he only has to hear once an hour at his sister's bothers him more than his tinnitus. I'd call him cured from a practical point of view.

5. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Why in the world would anybody get angry when I relate my personal expedience? I don't get angry when anybody else relates theirs. Hell, it's a cause for celebration when folks find relief. I don't care who it is or how it happened.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 5
    6. Martin69
      Artistic

Martin69 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      (Health) Anxiety
      When you talk about cancer, a friend of mine would gladly swap with me.
      He is 48 and waiting for his death within next weeks. Nevertheless, T is torture and today combined with strong headache, even more torture. But I will go through this and suffer, whatever will come. There must be an end of suffering.

7. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Most of the time I wish my tinnitus would just kill me eventually like cancer can. Then there would at least be an end of suffering in sight. If I did get cancer, not sure it would be a scare, at this point I don't even think I would care.

• Agree Agree x 1
    8. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I hear you @Telis. I remember feeling just like that! I wanted to die.

Life is better for me now than before tinnitus. Much better. Hard to believe, I know. But I really mean it.

I found my path. I sincerely hope you find yours.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

• Like Like x 3
    9. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      Oh I promise you, there is an end to ALL suffering.

10. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      (y)(y)

11. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      They shouldn't be upset. Your testimony actually gives me a lot of hope.

My only guess is that people are suffering and they don't want to have to habituate... they want tinnitus to simply be gone. I don't blame them for wanting that.

12. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Believe me they want to habituate as well as be rid of this, it's just that even habitation doesn't give you complete peace from T it just makes life and living with it a little easier.

Of course people want to get used to it, habituation is a natural phenomenon that you can't just not want to happen and it won't! You cannot escape it.
      Virtually every change in one's normal everyday life is habitual eventually!

Rich

• Agree Agree x 2
    13. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      Dan I'm scared it will continue even there....
      I'm scared there's no escape from this EVER:(

14. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      No one has complete peace from any suffering in this world. Suffering is universal.

15. RichL
      Inspired

RichL Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      I was talking about a certain affliction,(T), not peace from everything in general!

16. dan
      Chatty

dan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2011
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      :puppykisses: nah it only seems that way...

17. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      I don't agree....I didn't suffer for 39 years of my life. Setbacks and rough times...but would never call it suffering.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      While I agree with this not every suffering is the same so in case of t it doesn't hel

What do you mean by this?

19. yonkapin

yonkapin Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      March 2012
      Man, that is some silly shit to say.

I've had multiple family members die of cancer, it is not fun. I know that many of us are suffering endlessly with our tinnitus and other ear disorders but it's I find myself irrtirated by instances where a member will say that they'd have something like cancer instead of tinnitus or bother to compare the two. Cancer involves the process of a slow, painful and very unpleasant death if treatment isn't possible. Cancer and subsequent therapy protocols destroy the body literally (chemotherapy destroys your hearing btw), it's a horrible way to die.

Tinnitus, hyperacusis and a multitude of other more serious hearing disorders like Meniere's are horrifying to deal with for all of us, but you can't just give up and start saying some shit like that. Most of us can find ways to deal with our conditions while we wait (or search) for a cure.

• Agree Agree x 3
    20. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      Ok, sorry about that. I'm just trying to say that we eventually have to face suffering in one form or another. If it's not T, then it would be something else. But yes, I know what you mean about T. I'm not trying to make it sound like T isn't that bad. I recognize that it is. It drove me to the point where I didn't want to live anymore. But I'm just trying to have the attitude of making the best of it.

I had a really good day yesterday. I spent the entire day with my wife and daughter, and even though T was always on my mind to some degree, I didn't let it bother me. I just kept focusing on having a good time. If I could have more days like yesterday, then life would be a lot more bearable. If days like yesterday become the norm for me, then I would have a certain degree of peace from T. Days like yesterday even makes me think that what Dr. Nagler says is true.

21. Blair14
      Tired

Blair14 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Exposure
      Its ok @Tellis, I was there too, you are just so frustrated and despaired, I understand, I'm with you buddy, hang on.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    22. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      MattK

MattK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      2/13/2014
      I never said every suffers at the same time, before they turn 39. And keep in mind, that not all suffering is medically related. But eventually we all die, and whatever event kills us is suffering. If you ever grieve a loved one who passes, you're suffering. Eventually as you age, you will accumulate more heath problems other than T.

With that said, I'm really sorry that this has been so hard Telis. I know what you mean. I'm doing better in the last couple of days, but it's been a rough road.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma

Huh!!!??? What are you going on about!!?? I'm not comparing the two, you are. Please read posts before you respond.

If you think wanting to give up is "saying silly shit" don't come on this board, there are lots of us that have thought about ending it all, some have even done it. If you get "irritated"by that, and you think it is "silly", I'm sorry to hear that, but like I said you don't have to be here.

This is a place for support, not to judge other peoples suffering and become irritated.

Suicide and tinnitus is real for a lot of us, it's not "silly shit".

• Agree Agree x 2
    24. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      True, but the rate of suicide in the tinnitus population is no greater than the rate of suicide in the general population. The rate if suicide ideation may be greater, but not the suicide rate itself.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

25. T could be a true torment, specially if it´s combined with a portion of H. But compared to cancer and other diseases that involves chronic pain it´s a different story.

26. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      The tinnitus population yes...TT is not the tinnitus population.

27. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      Is H not chronic pain!!???

28. For me chronic pain is a pain that you can´t escape in any way. For sure H is painful and very disabling but not constant, still an awful state.

29. Dr. Nagler

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      I was not aware that a study has been done on the suicide rate of those participating on this board.

Dr. Stephen Nagler

30. Telis

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2013
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Drugs barotrauma
      My point exactly. I'm glad you cleared that up for yourself.

• Like Like x 1