Habituation to multiple noises

Discussion in 'Dr. Stephen Nagler (MD)' started by Solate, Nov 9, 2014.

1. Dr. Nagler is not answering questions.
    Dismiss Notice
    1. Solate
      Worried

Solate Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2012
      Dear dr. Nagler,

Do you know if it's possible to a multitude of different noises, that are also changing from time to time?
      I'm 2 years in and I do experience that, when a certain noise stays long enough, the anxiety/responses to that noises subsides. The noises keep changing and new noises keep popping up though, and every time I can't help but react with anxiety/frustration/.... I truly believe you can habituate to a certain noise and come to ignore it over time, but I'm having difficulties with the concept of habituation to multiple noises. When I read about habituation at the onset of my tinnitus 2 years ago, I thought that at this time, I would be fine. Turns out, after 2 years I'm even more stressed, depressed than at onset..

I'm also a very panic-prone, easily stressed person, is it even possible for such personalities to reach habituation?

Have you had successes in habituation with patients of yours who went trough the same thing?

Thank you for your answer. You truly are a hope and inspiration to many of us..

2. Dr. Nagler

Dr. Nagler Member Clinician Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1994
      Yes. Absolutely.

Again, yes.

Yes. Roughly 40% of my patients have multiple-tone, fluctuating tinnitus. And a goodly number of them have the personality characteristics you describe.

You are welcome.

Dr. Stephen Nagler