Has Anyone Done a Sinus Rinse?

Discussion in 'Health Talk' started by Ed209, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I was hoping to get some feedback from anyone who may have done a sinus rinse. I have ordered some sachets from neilmed because my sinuses are always full of mucous, and I get a lot of post nasal drip. It's mainly my allergies causing the problems.

The package warns against using it if your ears are blocked. I think my Eustachian tubes are generally a bit mucousy, but they don't feel blocked. Has anyone had any adverse effects doing this?

2. Richard zurowski

Richard zurowski Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      27/12/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection.
      @Ed209. Ive had my sinuses drained under a local anaesthetic. It's an awful experience to go through but it's the best way to go if you want to drain the sinus cavities in your head.

• Like Like x 1
    3. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      You can do saline nasal rinse with a salt solution but for me doing that or using saline nebules in my asthma nebulizer triggers my Menieres.
      Steam inhalation works well in clearing your tubes and a mucous linctus.
      Carbocsistine tablets are also good shifting mucous from your tubes and lungs and used it in the past.
      If you can get your doctor prescribe saline nebules and get a cheap nebulizer you might find the vapour better than the solution if it's a long term problem...lots of love glynis

• Like Like x 2
    4. caren

caren Member

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2012
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Hi Ed, I'm having T and using sinus rinse regularly, and from my experience I can tell you that you should be all fine. It's been miraculous for my clogged nose. The only things I would recommend you to be cautious about is do not blow your nose while rinsing sinuses cause mixture can get into your ears. Let the rinsing mixture flow itself. Just stick to the principles in attached leaflet, it's really well written. Blow your nose only after you're done with the procedure. And do it carefully. If you feel that your Eustachian tubes get blocked during blowing your nose just stop it for a moment to let it unblock (it should happen the same moment you stop blowing). Good luck!

• Like Like x 2
    5. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I do it all the time, no problems. I think I've gotten nasty spikes a couple times from getting water into my middle ear, but you can avoid that if you're careful.... when you're done with the rinse, don't blow your nose with any force for a while, just move your head around and let everything drain out.

• Like Like x 2
    6. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Thanks for the advice everyone.

• Hug Hug x 2
    7. pytajnick

pytajnick Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      2/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      How long did these spikes last? In other thread I've described my recent spike acquired by getting water into middle ear... basically I was doing neti pot, water got into middle ear and I was trying to get rid of it by doing valsalva maneuver and by using otovent baloon. During first several hours every time I tried I was hearing only squeak sound. Eventually fullnes in ear subsided but I was left with a major increase in T in that ear. It's been two days and there's no improvement yet...

8. Raphael7713
      Alone

Raphael7713 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      January 14, 2017.
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure
      This is an interesting thread because I am someone who for the last 3 years been using a nasaline a lot due to a post nasal drip. The cause for my T is still unknown. Could it be because of using this nasaline this much? I am also someone who has been using earphones and loud music also so that can also be a reason.

If the T is sinus related or nose rinsning related, is there something to do?

9. linearb
      Psychedelic

linearb Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

beliefs are makyo and reality ignores them
      Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      days to a few weeks I'd say, though in every case where it was more than ~a couple hours there were confounding factors. But, fluid in the middle ear can take days to weeks to resolve as far as I know.